Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 2008 Shelby GT500 build thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30
  1. #1 Default 2008 Shelby GT500 build thread 
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    21,560
    As some of you may know, I have toyed with the notion of selling the GT500, because I stand to make about $5k on the car as it sits, without trying.

    But honestly, the car guy in me wants to mod the crap out of it (like my 03 Cobra was). Even if the car dealer in me says SELL, PROFIT, WIN!

    SO I am going to leave the car for sale, at a higher than market price and maybe someone will bite, and I'll make $7-8k. Whatever, at that point its worth it, $4-5k doesnt excite me as much as $7-8k

    In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the crap out of it, and Mod the Crap out of it.

    Here are some specs.

    2008 Shelby GT500
    500hp SuperCharged 5.4l v8 DOHC
    19k miles

    Dyno Dynamics: 421whp (corrected to a Dynojet it is approx. 485whp)
    I am EXTREMELY happy with this number, the car truly is a Factory Freak


    Things I have done so far:
    5/11-
    Hardwired 8500X50
    Pro-164 Police Scanner
    Hardwired Garmin Nuvi Traffic

    6/11-
    Eibach Sportline Springs installed
    Lowering the car 1.5in. in the front 2.0in. in the rear.
    It looks mean, handles awesome, and rides great.


    In May, I purchased a Set of 20" GT500KR replica wheels that were finished with hyperblack. Unfortunately, to make them fit with the sportlines, I'd have to run a 30series tire. I refuse to run a tire that small on a car so big, with that much power.

    SO I'll be selling those wheels and picking up a set of 19x9 and 19x10 SVT Performance Pack wheels off of a 2011 GT500. Currently negotiating a deal on a set with 400 miles on them in Texas (guy is driving a hard bargain!).

    Once those are in and on, its on to the motor.
    These cars are really easy to mod and get big power easily.
    $1500 gets you 180-200whp using the following:
    Intake
    Pulley (upper and lower)
    Larger Injectors
    Throttle Body
    Idler pulley
    Spark Plugs
    SCT Tuner with custom mapping


    I'm at a crossroads with the motor modding. I can spend $2500 on Ford Racing parts. net about 25 less horsepower and retain my warranty. OR I can save $1000, and just payoff one of my ford clients if my car blows up to fix it


    See photos from when i orginally bought the car here:
    http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showt...ng-Cobra-GT500

    Goals:
    I'd like to see 550whp on a dyno dynamics by September, with a few Low 11 second passes (if there was a thing called traction, 550whp should net 10's but alas, this is a mustang).
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2 Default  
    good stuff! car had boat loads of potential for a lot of power
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #3 Default  
    you is right. list it at a premium, sell it if the right buyer comes along, but enjoy the dick off it in the meantime. cant wait to see how much of a beast this is with 550whp. a true factory freak
    Bath salts and dick pills
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #4 Default  
    go with the Ford Racing parts. $1000 more, retains warrenty. If you do sell, it makes it easier because warrenty is still there.
    Oh Yeah!
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    As some of you may know, I have toyed with the notion of selling the GT500, because I stand to make about $5k on the car as it sits, without trying.

    But honestly, the car guy in me wants to mod the crap out of it (like my 03 Cobra was). Even if the car dealer in me says SELL, PROFIT, WIN!

    SO I am going to leave the car for sale, at a higher than market price and maybe someone will bite, and I'll make $7-8k. Whatever, at that point its worth it, $4-5k doesnt excite me as much as $7-8k

    In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the crap out of it, and Mod the Crap out of it.

    Here are some specs.

    2008 Shelby GT500
    500hp SuperCharged 5.4l v8 DOHC
    19k miles

    Dyno Dynamics: 421whp (corrected to a Dynojet it is approx. 485whp)
    I am EXTREMELY happy with this number, the car truly is a Factory Freak


    Things I have done so far:
    5/11-
    Hardwired 8500X50
    Pro-164 Police Scanner
    Hardwired Garmin Nuvi Traffic

    6/11-
    Eibach Sportline Springs installed
    Lowering the car 1.5in. in the front 2.0in. in the rear.
    It looks mean, handles awesome, and rides great.


    In May, I purchased a Set of 20" GT500KR replica wheels that were finished with hyperblack. Unfortunately, to make them fit with the sportlines, I'd have to run a 30series tire. I refuse to run a tire that small on a car so big, with that much power.

    SO I'll be selling those wheels and picking up a set of 19x9 and 19x10 SVT Performance Pack wheels off of a 2011 GT500. Currently negotiating a deal on a set with 400 miles on them in Texas (guy is driving a hard bargain!).

    Once those are in and on, its on to the motor.
    These cars are really easy to mod and get big power easily.
    $1500 gets you 180-200whp using the following:
    Intake
    Pulley (upper and lower)
    Larger Injectors
    Throttle Body
    Idler pulley
    Spark Plugs
    SCT Tuner with custom mapping


    I'm at a crossroads with the motor modding. I can spend $2500 on Ford Racing parts. net about 25 less horsepower and retain my warranty. OR I can save $1000, and just payoff one of my ford clients if my car blows up to fix it


    See photos from when i orginally bought the car here:
    http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showt...ng-Cobra-GT500

    Goals:
    I'd like to see 550whp on a dyno dynamics by September, with a few Low 11 second passes (if there was a thing called traction, 550whp should net 10's but alas, this is a mustang).
    It won't hook even on drag radials with the solid rear?
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #6 Default  
    cant wait to it with the new ride height
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #7 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Near the RI border
    Posts
    1,421
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    go with the Ford Racing parts. $1000 more, retains warrenty. If you do sell, it makes it easier because warrenty is still there.
    ^^ Agree. Factory warranty is a big bonus on the sale. Curious how long it will last. Looking forward to playing with it. I miss your cobra. That car was the balls.

    Also, make it loud.
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #8 Default  
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by ESteid View Post
    Also, make it loud.
    THIS. Any plans for an exhaust??
    Can't wait to see the car lowere and on new wheels
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #10 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    21,560
    Ask and thee shall receive...

    On lift getting moar load

    Reply With Quote  

  11. #11 Default  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    9,747
    This thread is worthless without video! I'm looking forward to hearing it.
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #12 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    21,560
    Loud car is loud
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #13 Default  
    Good... Easier to attract all the cops as I sneak by inconspicuously...
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #14 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    21,560
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    Good... Easier to attract all the cops as I sneak by inconspicuously...
    It's only loud if you're on it ;)
    Reply With Quote  

  15. #15 Default  
    Can't wait to hear it!

    Is it louder then your last Mustang?
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #16 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Location Location
    Posts
    21,560
    Lol no.

    That car was deafening

    Headers, no cats, 3inch piping all the way back.

    This is just muffler deletes. And I absolutely love the sound
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #17 Default  
    High five. Now we are both loud.
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Lol no.

    That car was deafening

    Headers, no cats, 3inch piping all the way back.

    This is just muffler deletes. And I absolutely love the sound
    I think you made a good call. Pretty much the same choice I made on my 996TT. I can remove cats if I wanna be super loud, and prolly shoot flame too, but as it stands now, it's a perfect volume!
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Lol no.

    That car was deafening

    Headers, no cats, 3inch piping all the way back.

    This is just muffler deletes. And I absolutely love the sound
    Is it louder than welcomes m6? lol
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #20 Default  
    Hell no!
    Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. My 2011 Build Thread
    By bigpoppa822 in forum Journals
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM
  2. Chris' Shelby Mustang Cobra GT500
    By leemik in forum Photography & Videography
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM
  3. JD's SHTF Build Thread
    By Mr. Wolf in forum Journals
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-15-2011, 10:06 AM
  4. 2012 Shelby GT500 Super Snake
    By Trptguy in forum All Automotive
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •