Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Minimum Wage talk

1. #1 Default Minimum Wage talk 
    Min wage got blocked in senate, Seattle thinking about going to $15 min wage.

Do we want to discuss this today?
    Oh Yeah!

2. #2 Default  
    would mean i get a raise.
    Father of Phiff

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    Min wage got blocked in senate, Seattle thinking about going to $15 min wage.

Do we want to discuss this today?
    I vaguely remember us discussing this before. Did it go well that time?

For reference, 15/hour works out to ~31k/year before taxes (40 hours/week 52weeks/year).

4. #4 Default  
    Yes, lets raise the minimum wage for unskilled labor to a little less that what a college grad with a degree and 100K in loans could expect to make first year out of college.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    Yes, lets raise the minimum wage for unskilled labor to a little less that what a college grad with a degree and 100K in loans could expect to make first year out of college.
    To be clear, what degrees are we talking here? Liberal arts?, history?
    Matt

6. #6 Default  
    Damn, 15 an hour is some decent money for a snot nosed high school kid flipping burgers

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Damn, 15 an hour is some decent money for a snot nosed high school kid flipping burgers
    It won't be after inflation jacks up pricing on EVERYTHING. Therefore, a min. wage worker's buying power will remain the same, while those of us who make more than that are screwed, as we'll continue to make the same, but our buying power is in the shitter.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

8. #8 Default  
    Inflation is nice if you have a mortgage.
    Just the right amount of way too much.

Don't make me assume my ultimate form.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by omgomg View Post
    I need to acquire one of those lol

10. #10 Default  
    Same

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    or lets raise the salaries of those just out of college, then they can afford a burgers once in a while and the demand for more unskilled burger flippers will increase, everyone wins

12. #12 Default  
    Blog Entries
    When I was working at the gas station, I would get fresh off the boat(sometimes literal) people working for the landscapers making decent money... not speaking a lick of English... my question is how does someone get stuck in a min wage job? You have to be a total morAn
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    When I was working at the gas station, I would get fresh off the boat(sometimes literal) people working for the landscapers making decent money... not speaking a lick of English... my question is how does someone get stuck in a min wage job? You have to be a total morAn
    manual labor pays well. landscaping is also mostly seasonal.
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

14. #14 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    manual labor pays well. landscaping is also mostly seasonal.
    they were all doing pretty well in the winter plowing/shoveling granted that is hit or miss... but I did see them regularly through the year
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by omgomg View Post
    And rent
    Oh Yeah!

16. #16 Default  
    Or you just have to be somebody brought up in the world where they expect everything to be given to them...

I say leave minimum wage, replace all fast food counters with kiosks, cutting out a decent amount of the minimum wage jobs, then let them see what its REALLY like when they can't find a job because they forced the jobs away.

Without going into a long rant, I just have to say this entitlement generation is such an example of the pussification of this country. You want more money? GO WORK FOR IT! LEARN SOMETHING! DO SOMETHING!
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

17. #17 Default  
    doesnt matter if the minimum wage is 15/hr or 8.50/hr. if the min wage jumps that high guess what, everything else will bounce up in price. unless you live in a different state then you work

18. #18 Default  
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

19. #19 Default  
    I worked at a job a few years back making the theoretical minimum wage of $15/hr. Except mine was one that required a design degree and was a 40hr/wk job. Say a person had school loans, any sort of debt or expected to not live at home w/their parents. They're not going to do it on $15/hr. The cost of everything had gone up when the economy was in the shitter regardless of min. wage.

$15/hr is way too much for someone who works in fast food and not in a management position. But the average of $7.25 is by no means a livable wage that will let you pay off any debt, rent an apt, pay for gas/public transport, any utilities and groceries.

The $15/hr isn't so much a focus on the fast food workers of the world, but also the companies that take advantage of the desperation of employment in their area and know they can short change employees.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

Thread Information