Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 1st oil change

1. #1 Default 1st oil change 
    So my wifes new Explorer just hit 1000 miles. Thinking of having an oil change done. Good idea or unnecessary?

2. #2 Default  

3. #3 Default  
    It never hurts anything to change it early (besides your wallet). When you finish the break in period, that is a ok time to do an oil and filter change, and switch over to a full synthetic.
    Matt

4. #4 Default  
    Blog Entries
    what was the break in process the dealer gave you? There is generally something the factory suggests, stick with that
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

5. #5 Default  
    my wife picked up the vehicle and was told nothing. I will check on it. I am not familiar with the explorer maintenance schedule

6. #6 Default  
    its probably every 5k like most modern cars

7. #7 Default  
    Found it

Without off-road or towing it is every 7500-10000
    With moderate towing every 5000

It has some intelligent sensor that track how you drive and will alert you to when the oil needs to be changed. Not sure if I trust that.

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trptguy View Post
    It has some intelligent sensor that track how you drive and will alert you to when the oil needs to be changed.
    If its like the benz one... its based on the gallons of gas the car has consumed, and less a sensor that determines how clean or dirty the oil is. Having said that, call your sales guy, a lot of companies change all the fluids at like 1200-1500 mile mark because of break in
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    i hate that intelligent sensor crap (same thing honda has....some stupid algorithm to determine the condition of the oil...) i stick to my usual plan

conventional oil 3months/3000or3750miles
    synthetic oil 5/6months/5000miles.

couple of the manufactures just redid their maintenance timetable and i find it ridiculous. they recommend conventional oil changes at 6months/5000miles.....they better be backing their motor warranty on that crap.... ive done oil changes on cars at either 3000miles or 3months and the oil is rather dark already....
    '00 GS300
    '08 IS250
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

10. #10 Default  
    I go old school. first change 1k. then every 3k. Its served my well
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

11. #11 Default  
    Just wait. Its an explorer. If it was something performance/high end... Maybe.. But that car is so robot built all you'll be doing is wasting your money.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

12. #12 Default  
    My fusion has 36k on it. I changed the oil change when it told me too. Each time.

No need to at 1k

13. #13 Default  
    The thought process is to remove any debris that may have been left during the assembly of the engine/oil system. The filter is there catch it all, but it is one of those things where oil is cheap so if you are going to change just the filter why not change it all.

In other industries this is still a common practice to change out oil at an early point, usually after a break in cycle to make sure everything is flushed out.
    Matt

14. #14 Default  
    If you plan on keeping it until one of the doors rusts off, go for it. I wouldn't bother otherwise.
    "It was more passionate than just cuddling"

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by [cerberus] View Post
    The thought process is to remove any debris that may have been left during the assembly of the engine/oil system. The filter is there catch it all, but it is one of those things where oil is cheap so if you are going to change just the filter why not change it all.

In other industries this is still a common practice to change out oil at an early point, usually after a break in cycle to make sure everything is flushed out.
    I guess Im old school, cause I still think on a new car, this is the way to do it

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
    ive done oil changes on cars at either 3000miles or 3months and the oil is rather dark already....
    I figured you would at least know. Oil turns dark not from getting dirty, but from heat cycling. You can look at oil after 1k miles and it will be dark. Hell I do 600 miles in a lemons race and the oil is dark.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

Thread Information