Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Cafe KZ400, or Cegan finally builds a damn bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Default Cafe KZ400, or Cegan finally builds a damn bike 
    Ok, so i'm finally actually building a bike. This is the really beaten up 1975 KZ400 that's been in my garage for 5.5 years. My brother has the twin of this bike that is in stock form and really nice shape. This one has a bunch of electrical issues, and needs a lot of work. So it's perfect for a project. The goal with this bike is to build, ride for a month or two in the spring while I then shift my efforts into getting the XS500 road worthy again. At that point I'm going to sell this bike and use the profits to start an other project.

Here's what it looked like when I started

I know what i want this bike to look like. Low flat long seat, no rear bump like everyone throws on cafe garage builds. clip on bars, clean frame, hidden electronics. I want it to look like a frame, engine, tank, and wheels. So I finally rolled it into the center of my garage, stripped everything off the frame, and pulled out the angle grinder.

It's really weird to cut into a frame for the first time. You sit there holding the cut-off wheel thinking "there is no return from cutting this", then you chop off the rear of the frame and accept that you should go buy some parts. I removed every mounting tab on the frame, the support arch that was under the seat, the rear of the frame, the center stand, and i'm trying to decide if I should remove the passenger pegs.

These are a few of the builds that kind of show the direction I'm aiming for.

Last edited by cegan09; 12-08-2014 at 12:02 AM.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default  
    With the frame stripped down I ordered a bunch of parts that should let me move forward with fabrication including a pre-bent rear hoop to close off the rear of the frame, a new rectifier, flasher relay, and ignition coil. I also grabbed a very small sealed battery that I should be able to hide up between the rear fender and seat. Once everything is here on tuesday I can start making the electronics tray, battery box, and seat pan.

This battery is 4.5"x2.8"x3.4"

I also got this taillight which should tuck up inside the curvature of the rear hoop nicely. I assumed it was just a simple bulb unit, but it's a stupidly bright LED unit, which was a nice surprise.

Today I started working on electrical. I took the stock wiring diagram and reworked it to make it as simple as possible. I pulled out all the extra stuff like the "brake light failure indicator switch", and the circuits that kept the lights on at all times or when the key was put into the 3rd position. Now most connections are hidden inside the headlight bucket and the main bundle running from the battery area to the front is reduced from ~15 wires to ~8.

I also pulled apart the stock wiring harness so that i can work it into the new configuration.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

3. #3 Default  
    Been waiting for this build. Nice progress so far. Ditch the center stand.
    Bath salts and dick pills

4. #4 Default  
    Meant to list it above, center stand is long gone at this point. I debated a bunch with it because the center stand is so useful, but there is no way to make it look good. So off it came.

5. #5 Default  
    You should figure out some way to make an old BMW style center stand.
    "It was more passionate than just cuddling"

6. #6 Default  
    The one that was on the bike was basically that with a few extra bits. The trouble is when you strip the bike down as far as I want to the center stand just looks like a bunch of unnecessary bars at the bottom of the bike. I don't need a center stand, it just makes things like adjusting the chain tension easier. Nothing that can't be solved by using a jack in my garage.

7. #7 Default  
    Parts!

Bringing the frame to makeit labs tomorrow to weld on the rear hoop and start making the electronics tray.

also this battery is stupid small.

8. #8 Default  
    Gauges huh...

9. #9 Default  
    Your thread has me looking at bikes again

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Your thread has me looking at bikes again
    excellent. Bikes are insanely fun. Everyone should have one.

11. #11 Default  
    Just busting yor balls, nothing wrong ith gauges. I agree, everyone should have a bike at some point. The best part about an old bike is its feels fast going slow

12. #12 Default  
    gauges are for pussies, so is eyesight, ride with eyes closed like a real man

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Just busting yor balls, nothing wrong ith gauges. I agree, everyone should have a bike at some point. The best part about an old bike is its feels fast going slow
    i get the same feeling with my GTI. i think its the fact that when its something old theres a certain amount of "this will probably kill me at some point" to it.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

14. #14 Default  
    This bike does not feel fast. It's a 400, and made 34hp when new. I think some new carbs will help that slightly, but it's a slow bike in a straight line. On the flip side it's fantastic to ride. It's very light (under 400lbs wet when stock. lighter now) and it leans into turns with no effort at all. Around town or bombing around twisty back roads the bike is just awesome. I'll actually be sad to sell it because it's so fun. But I have the other one that my brother will return someday.

The XS500 is faster, but takes work to make it lean. I'll never sell the 500. it's my first bike and i love the stupid thing. Even after I go and buy a modern bike i'll keep the 500.

But there absolutely is something about old bikes/cars. they have a personality. Mostly that personality is just a humanization of all it's little flaws, but it really does build more of a connection than a modern vehicle. I'll take a bike out, and notice it's not running perfect and sort of complaining. So you tinker, and adjust things, and the bike almost seems happy that you fixed it. Modern vehicles just feel like the machines they are.

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    can you make my bike look cool?
    Yes. I'd actually love to build the 850.

16. #16 Default  
    I ordered carbs. They'll probably take a week to arrive. In the mean time I need to figure out mounting brackets.

17. #17 Default  
    Today ordered the tune up kit (points, condensor, plugs) and new spark plug wires. Everything should be here by next week. Goal is to get the carb mounting figured out and the engine ready to fire by next weekend. Once I prove it runs kindly and the charging system works I can tear the engine out and start re-finishing that.

18. #18 Default  
    mmmm, parts. New Black Magic devices, plugs, wires, and tune up kit. Once I fab up some carb mounts i can fire up the bike and make sure the engine is happy.

19. #19 Default  
    Mikuni carbs. You fancy

20. #20 Default  
    That was going to be my next question lol. Sv is 41mm so no go.
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information