Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Pros and Cons on Chrysler 300/300c

1. #1 Default Pros and Cons on Chrysler 300/300c 
    Blog Entries
    Hey all, one of my nephews is shopping for his first car and is thinking about one of the Merc based 300's. He asked me what I knew about them but that's not much. Any background?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    con - chrysler
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

3. #3 Default  
    I've had a few as rentals (V6). I was never left stranded by the side of the road.

It's a big, heavy car that feels big and heavy and rides on a soft suspension. This could also be a pro for a kid's first car.

Outward visibility is poor because of the beltline.

Electronic nannies cut in aggressively and seem to be poorly tuned for the car. (again, this may be better for a kid)

On the Pro side these things sold in high numbers and were used as taxis in a lot of places. They should also share a decent number of parts with the charger cop car. I would guess that parts would be available and cheap, CrownVic style.

I don't know if there's much of a performance aftermarket for these. Most of the ones I see that have been modified look incredibly out of place in a nice suburban neighborhood (lots of two-tone paint, grill mods, cut springs and shiny wheels from rent-a-rim).

-Justin

4. #4 Default  
    Friends don't let friends drive Chrysler products

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Friends don't let friends drive Chrysler products
    It was a Daimler product!
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    I've had a few as rentals (V6). I was never left stranded by the side of the road.

It's a big, heavy car that feels big and heavy and rides on a soft suspension. This could also be a pro for a kid's first car.

Outward visibility is poor because of the beltline.

Electronic nannies cut in aggressively and seem to be poorly tuned for the car. (again, this may be better for a kid)

On the Pro side these things sold in high numbers and were used as taxis in a lot of places. They should also share a decent number of parts with the charger cop car. I would guess that parts would be available and cheap, CrownVic style.

I don't know if there's much of a performance aftermarket for these. Most of the ones I see that have been modified look incredibly out of place in a nice suburban neighborhood (lots of two-tone paint, grill mods, cut springs and shiny wheels from rent-a-rim).

-Justin
    Some solid points here

V6 = horribly underpowered. to the point where getting on the highway is a pedal to the floor type of thing.
    big and heavy is completely true its like driving a land yacht

The only one thats OK is the hemi 300C and thats only because of the sounds and power other than that its still a boat.

Experience with these for me is i used to sell them lol i would look for something like an accord V6 will be a better car. For a young driver the 300 will hit alot of things due to its size and terrible view.
    1991 VW GTI 8V ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)
    2017 VW GLI ლ(́◉◞౪◟◉‵ლ)

7. #7 Default  
    I'd consider that another pro. Nobody is going to cry when he wrecks it.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

8. #8 Default  
    The 2.7 v6 was horribly underpowered. Like really really bad.

The 3.5 wasn't so bad. Think e350 vs a c250 between the two.

The 2011+ is much more refined.

They don't seem to break much, but I hear they eat tires and brakes often. Keep the tranny fluid fresh as that's a week point

There are better options out there, however

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    I'd consider that another pro. Nobody is going to cry when he wrecks it.

-Justin
    Agree. Also he's 19 and almost done with his freshman year at Renselear. He's been driving his dad's TL type S up until now and hasn't cracked anything up(knock on wood)

Also as a side note, he's 6' 4" so I think that's why he's looking at 300s. Open to suggestions?
    Last edited by 55fanatic; 01-16-2015 at 09:24 AM.

10. #10 Default  
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Agree. Also he's 19 and almost done with his freshman year at Renselear. He's been driving his dad's TL type S up until now and hasn't cracked anything up(knock on wood)

Also as a side note, he's 6' 4" so I think that's why he's looking at 300s. Open to suggestions?
    Headroom has never been an issue I've had to consider when shopping.

I don't know how well they've held up, but a lot of tall people loved the first get Scion xB - but it's pretty much the polar opposite of the 300.

I would think that any camry / accord / taurus class car should fit someone that's 6'4" without issue as long as there's no sunroof.

And I guess that would be my next suggestion - Taurus. Cheap to maintain and seem to depreciate faster than the Camry / Accord.

I'm not sure how the headroom is, but he may want to take a look at Pontiac G8. (Scratch that, just checked autotrader and people seem to think Pontiacs are no longer available because they were limited edition collector vehicles).

Any guidelines as far as price?

-Justin

12. #12 Default  
    Just no.

13. #13 Default  
    It must be so hard to find something at 6'4" lol
    2012 TT-RS

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by mthaynes View Post
    this is a pro.
    Father of Phiff

15. #15 Default  
    Pro: available in RWD
    con: available in AWD
    Oh Yeah!

16. #16 Default  
    I like the new one.

What year is he looking for?

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    I like the new one.

What year is he looking for?
    Older one. His budget is $8-10k.

18. #18 Default  
    I had a rental at one point for 3 moths when i had a car getting worked on. It sucked huge. that is all i can say about it.

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by aigre123 View Post
    I think its elegant design, reliable performance and relaxed cabin are amazing and it has been performing excellent.

-VinCarHistory
    The spam is strong with this one

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Older one. His budget is $8-10k.
    He can probably lease something new for under $150/mo for 36/mo.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

Thread Information