Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Laptop Suggestions

1. #1 Default Laptop Suggestions 
    I'm on the market for a new laptop to replace my current super outdated low end HP. Hoping the computer savvy folks can chime in on my short list or offer up something else I've missed.

My must haves:
    Windows
    15.6"
    Intel processor
    Backlit Keyboard
    Minimum 1080 screen resolution
    Dedicated graphics
    $1500 or under (I am also looking at refurbs so slightly above $1500 retail works).

My very strong wants
    Aluminum Chassis
    Touchscreen
    Full SSD rather than a hybrid or HDD.
    High build quality/fit and finish

So far, this is the short list:

Dell XPS 15 9530 ~$1200
    Aluminum and carbon fiber chassis, 3200x1800 (also available in 4k), touch, i7, etc. etc.

This ticks almost all the boxes except I hate the keyboard layout and forward/close to the screen it is, and it doesn't have a number pad.

HP Envy 15 Touch (newest model)
    Aluminum, 6th gen i7, dedicated graphics, touchscreen 1080 IPS panel.
    These JUST came out with the new hinge design and new processors and have been a little hard to find under retail. MSRP how I want it is $1100.

Lenovo Y50
    4k touchscreen, i7, dedicated graphocs, etc. etc. This ticks all the boxes for me but it's ugly and plastic and the keyboard is backlit red. I will not be chugging mountain dew and playing DOTA so this is a bit of a detractor. I guess there is a problem with the screens locking in to 48Hz as well and have less than stellar color reproduction.
    Also the cheapest at around $900.

Anyone have any experience with the above models, or want to offer any alternates?
    Thanks!

2. #2 Default  
    For just a general purpose laptop, I'd probably boot camp some flavor of macbook. If for some dumb reason I wanted a gaming laptop, I'd probably go for a Lenovo Y of some sort.
    "It was more passionate than just cuddling"

3. #3 Default  
    best bang for buck computers

when dell outlet is having their 30 or 40 percent off sales
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

4. #4 Default  
    The Dell latitude series machines are really well built. They are aimed at the corporate market and they all have aluminum chassis and hinges. Not sure if they have touch screens.
    Matt

5. #5 Default  
    Do not buy the dell Inspiron or consumer line. They suck.

Personally I like the Lenovo laptops and Apple.

The newest Surface Book laptop is really appealing too. Specs look fantastic for an ultra portable.
    -Mike
    2006 Quarter Pounder Sport GT with cheese.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Do not buy the dell Inspiron or consumer line. They suck.

Personally I like the Lenovo laptops and Apple.

The newest Surface Book laptop is really appealing too. Specs look fantastic for an ultra portable.
    I think it depends on use. I am apparently pretty rough on laptops. I've made the mistake (more than once) of buying a consumer laptop, only to have it develop weird issues rather quickly.

If the laptop is basically going to live on your desk 100% of the time, you can probably get away with anything. If it's getting kicked under the seat in front of you a few times a month, it may be worth it to pay a little more (for lower spec) for a business laptop.

I'm looking right now and I'm probably going to end up with a lenovo T450S. I travel right now with a 13" acer (not up to the travel abuse, but had discrete graphics) and I need more screen real estate. I also travel with a Lenovo s230u from work that I have hated the entire time. It makes a lot of concessions for the touch screen that I have never used and the keyboard is not full-sized.

The Lenovo business stuff is conservatively styled. It's not going to impress anyone, but it's also not going to look silly in a year or two. It also seems to be rugged enough.

I do also like the new surface book, but I have no real use for the touch / tablet functions so it'd be kind a silly one for me.

-Justin

7. #7 Default  
    I got a chance to see a couple laptops at the Microsoft store and Best Buy. Unfortunately, the vast majority of what they have on display are low end shitboxes.

I got to see the new XPS 13 at the Microsoft store, they didn't have the 15. I like the soft touch material on the palm rest, but am still bothered by how forward the keyboard sits and the lack of a number pad. I guess I could get used to it though. I also want the SSD only model as it has a larger battery but those are huge bucks and really push me out of the budget.

I also got a chance to mess around with a couple HPs at Best Buy and was impressed with the build quality on the Envy 15, it has deeply grained aluminum brushing on the case which I'd never get tired of looking at. It's currently leading the pack I think, but finding the brand new models with the new style hinge and B&O speakers is proving difficult.

The Y50 is out and the Lenovo Edge 15 is in. Lots of the same hardware but a much better look and aluminum housing.

Don't really want to go the macbook route as now I'm pretty certain I'm going to get a touchscreen.
    Also I'll be buying on eBay because I have $500 in eBay bucks to blow and they have to be used by the end of the month, so I need to actually decide soon.
    Last edited by bigpoppa822; 10-13-2015 at 03:44 PM.

8. #8 Default  
    Lenovo Edge 15:

9. #9 Default  
    I'm now backtracking and think I can live with a red backlit keyboard. Posting links for self reference:

$895 Lenovo Y50 1080P Touch i7-4710HQ 16GB 512GB SSD GTX860M 4GB HDMI AC Wireless (WxDxH): 15.23" x 10.37" x 0.9" / 5.29 lbs.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Y50-1...item235ad57607

$699 HP ENVY x360 15t m6-w102dx/15.6"Touch/i7-5500U 2.4Ghz(3Ghz)/GeForce 930M/8GB/1TB AC Wireless 5.06lb .9"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/252119171855...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$799 Lenovo Edge 15 i7-5500U 16GB 1TB + 8GB FHD TOUCH 1920X1080 Nvidia 840M AC 15.04" x 10.87" x 0.78"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/281814221703...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

EDIT: U530 is now out. After further research they have hinge breaking issues.
    Last edited by bigpoppa822; 10-14-2015 at 10:57 PM.

10. #10 Default  
    why no dell?
    Father of Phiff

11. #11 Default  
    No number pad on the keyboard and the keyboard layout bother me. It's also the most expensive by a few hundred bucks.

dat carbon fiber bottom tho still has it in the running.

12. #12 Default  
    I figured a numpad would be an exception to the rule, most laptops I've seen don't have them.

13. #13 Default  
    I've always had one, and I use it all the time.

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    I figured a numpad would be an exception to the rule, most laptops I've seen don't have them.
    They start showing up around 15" screen size. I don't think I've ever had a laptop with a number pad. My boss used to carry a small USB number pad that he would plug in.

Personally, if it needs a number pad it waits until I'm back at my desk.

-Justin

15. #15 Default  
    I guess I've just never really looked at bigger laptops.

16. #16 Default  
    I probably should have noted that this will be my only computer at home, I don't have a desktop.

17. #17 Default  
    The number pad seems like a new thing to me as well. I have had several laptops in the 15 inch size, and it is all we use at work for most of the engineers and I have never seen one except on a 17" behemoth laptop. I would probably go that route if it is an option.
    Matt

18. #18 Default  
    Just bought the HP. Will post first impressions when it gets here Saturday.

19. #19 Default  
    Figured I'd update. Had the HP for just under a week now. First impressions are that the build quality is top notch with deeply grained brushing in the aluminum that I'll never get tired of looking at. 1080p screen seems to be the way to go, as some of the older programs don't upscale well and fonts/windows/buttons can look a little smudged. I imagine this is much worse on QHD and 4k screen laptops and will be until some kind of fix comes out. Having a touchscreen is great. I'm not going to be using the tablet mode. The B&O speakers in it are killer for a laptop and blow my old machine away completely.

One place where I was a little disappointed was performance. Boot times were kind of longer than I expected for something with a new i7 and 8GB of RAM, and I'd experience little hangups here and there. Yesterday I decided to pull the SSD out of my old machine and install it in the new one to replace the equipped hard disk drive, and it made an enormous difference. The laptop now boots Win10 in under 10 seconds and runs flawlessly now. It's obvious the HDD is the biggest limitation and I guess they didn't equip an SSD to keep costs down since it would be a $1600-1700 machine with a good size SSD, but it's also unfortunate the machine would come with such a bottleneck on performance from the factory.

Anyway I'm happy with the laptop and extremely happy considering the price I paid. MSRP $1249, purchased an open box for $769 with overnight shipping. Used $500 in eBay Bucks for a total out of pocket expense of $269.

Thread Information