Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Blackvue Dr600GW / AVI review

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Blackvue Dr600GW / AVI review 
    Blog Entries

About a month and a half ago, Safi at AVI Boston gave me a hell of a deal on a Blackvue DR600GW single channel Dash Cam. While I know that was last year's model, the deal was too good to pass up for me. I wanted to offer a little bit of a write up on the install and review the camera.

There are several options for install, the most basic of options is to plug into a cig lighter and stick the camera on the window. Instead the team at AVI used a battery pod that allows the Blackvue to remain recording even when the car is off. The battery pod is hardwired to the fuse panel and charges while the car is running and also acts as a line conditioner to deliver steady power to the camera. When it came time to mounting the camera, the team was pretty detailed, they took the time to actually find the level line to mount the camera so it wouldn't appear off.

All in all, the install took about 2 hours start to finish.
    The camera has both an Android and IOS app to allow the user to change settings, download video, and update the camera.

The camera itself has both internal memory and space for an external card. By default the camera records to the external card, and then the user can choose to upload to the internal memory. It records in "Full HD"(I believe 720) @ 30FPS, noting speed, and date in the display.

The Camera can be programmed to record when it senses motion, or record in infinite, continuing to loop over itself. I think for certain its worth getting one but I think if I were to do it again, I would opt for the newer multichannel unit for the additional cost. As for the install, couldn't be happier. Safi, Kenyon, and team were really nice, and informative... they let me watch during the install(not normally allowed) and then took the time to go through the software and all the options it offers.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Very cool. I keep meaning to get a dash cam with all the ass-hattery I see on my drive home.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

3. #3 Default  
    Audio too or just video? Way too lazy to google this shit right now.
    "It was more passionate than just cuddling"

4. #4 Default  
    Full HD should be 1080P no? Either way the Blackvue's are always a solid choice for set it and forget it dashcams. They do use a fairly low bitrate (6mbps I believe) to save space on the card but the video is still very much serviceable nonetheless. Never understood why more people don't have them. They pay themselves back tenfold the first time you need the footage! Hell, mine's saved my ass twice already....

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    Audio too or just video? Way too lazy to google this shit right now.
    It records in cabin audio
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kynryt View Post
    Full HD should be 1080P no? Either way the Blackvue's are always a solid choice for set it and forget it dashcams. They do use a fairly low bitrate (6mbps I believe) to save space on the card but the video is still very much serviceable nonetheless. Never understood why more people don't have them. They pay themselves back tenfold the first time you need the footage! Hell, mine's saved my ass twice already....
    How did they save you? Evidence for insurance claims?
    -Mike
    2006 Quarter Pounder Sport GT with cheese.

7. #7 Default  
    First time was when I hit a deer on route 2, video helped expedite the claim. Second was a LEO pulling me over and ticketing me for speeding because he 'saw me catching up to him in his mirror'. Showed the video of me driving the same (very much reasonable) speed as him down an empty road at my magistrate hearing and they dropped the ticket. Actually, those two incidents happened within an hour of each other, was very happy I bought one that day, nothing's better than indisputable video evidence

8. #8 Default  
    Nice. Mine came in handy too for insurance.

Guy sideswiped me on the highway and claimed I hit him. My video showed that I was traveling in my lane and got hit.
    -Mike

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LuvDog View Post
    Nice. Mine came in handy too for insurance.

Guy sideswiped me on the highway and claimed I hit him. My video showed that I was traveling in my lane and got hit.
    This happened to a buddy of mine. A Tractor trailer came in to his lane and side swiped the whole left side of his car. Immediately the truck driver apologized, but when the cops got there, he changed his story. My buddy pointed at the camera called him an asshole and the truck driver changed his story again.

10. #10 Default  
    cost of camera?

install cost?

interested in purchasing
    Oh Yeah!

11. #11 Default Blackvue Dr600GW / AVI review 
    Mine was only about $45. It's a G1WH HD 1080P. Plenty of them on eBay.
    Got a mirror mount from eBay too for a few bucks.
    Wired it in to a fuse panel myself for free.

This in in my truck. I still need to do the QP one of these days
    Last edited by LuvDog; 11-05-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    -Mike

12. #12 Default  
    I saw audio mentioned in here also

I think audio recording is a 2 party consent in MA

13. #13 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    I saw audio mentioned in here also

I think audio recording is a 2 party consent in MA
    you are right, but it also announces that its recording when the car starts...

14. #14 Default  
    For anyone looking to get one of these, Massdrop is doing $300 shipped for the 2 channel DR650GW-2CH and Power Magic Pro that keeps it from draining the battery, basically the best front and rear cam you can get. Just note that if you order now, you'll probably get it by Christmas, these guys are not fast when it comes to shipping.
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blackvu...ode=guest_open

15. #15 Default  
    is it difficult to have it hardwired? looking for one in my Si and don't want more wires wrapping around the windshield
    When in doubt go flat out. "McRae"

LSNation

2012 ZL1

2013 Caddilac ATS 2.0T Manual

2009 Honda Civic Si Brentuning track rat

1993 Mercedes 400E

2014 Focus ST RIP Blown Engine

2008 BMW 135i FBO SOLD

2009 335i XI SOLD

2001 BMW E39 M5 SOLD

16. #16 Default  
    On the M5 I run it under the headliner and A pillar down into the glove box where I already had a 12V hardwire, maybe 30 mins of work. Did something similar on the Ford and it was way easier due to the fact there was actually gaps in the interior...

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries

And this happened tonight... car just drove right through my car like it wasn't there... fucked up the bumper and some other bits

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post

And this happened tonight... car just drove right through my car like it wasn't there... fucked up the bumper and some other bits
    If you got a plate, that product made its money back quick.

I purchased one on MassDrop and will have Matt install it.
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

19. #19 Default  
    YIkes. Hopefully you got the plate number
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

20. #20 Default  
    yikes. also mall parking lot at christmas yikes.
    Father of Phiff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information