Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Knife thread (kitchen knives)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Knife thread (kitchen knives) 
    I thought there was one already, can't find it, so here's a new one.

I have a cheapo Analon knife set that I'm looking to replace. Blades are old, crappy, and cracking. Its a 15pc set that I think I paid <$120 for.

I do not know anything about knives. I just know they can be expensive.

Looking to piece a set together... maybe starting with a 3 piece chef/utility/pairing set, and building from there.

I get friends and family discount from Williams and Sonoma (15-20% i think?) Looks like the major brands they carry are Henckles, Wustof, and Shun. Growing up we've had both Henckles and Wustof.

If anything, I like the Shun premier on looks alone.

Looking for recommendations. Looking for a nice set, but also not trying to take out a second mortgage trying to pay for them lol
    Last edited by Intheflesh; 11-18-2015 at 10:03 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

2. #2 Default  
    I have henckel or something, was like $75 or some shit, meh its not bad but I doubt believe its all that

HOWEVER

DEXTER....I bought one of their fileting knifes for fishing, shit will cut through anything. Just googled on amazon, they have a steak knife set for $100. I bought my filet knife after being out deep sea fishing in TX, that's all they had on the boat and cut through anything they needed

3. #3 Default  
    Also... why is this $400????

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/9633335/?catalogId=92&sku=9633335&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat =Shopping&cm_pla=default&cm_ite=default&gclid=CIzw mamUmskCFdgPgQod5HcGqQ&kwid=productads-plaid^63149792340-sku^9633335-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^45527545183
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

4. #4 Default  
    Why are you so hooked on W&S? Do you not know what Amazon is?

Unsure what model is on W&S site their but Amazon has what appears to be same knife set for $250-299...

5. #5 Default  
    Just about anything full-tang and forged will be very good. Knives sold as high carbon steel will accept a finer edge but will dull more quickly.

Just buying the high-end name doesn't guarantee good knives. I think Wushtof, Henckels, etc all have low-end lines of knives that look very much like their higher-end stuff so you may need to do a little research before buying. That said, I think I have a low-end Henckels as a bread knife and it's fine for that. I use my 6" chef's knife for just about everything. I also have an 8" and 10" that I rarely ever use. The other knife I use a bit is a boning / filet knife. I have a nice paring knife, but rarely use it.

I never bothered with a set because it's mostly knives I don't want or need. I don't think I've ever made a roast, so carving knives and forks aren't needed. Same for the steak knives they throw in there just to be able to say it's a, x+8 piece set instead of just an x piece set.

-Justin

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post

Just buying the high-end name doesn't guarantee good knives. I think Wushtof, Henckels, etc all have low-end lines of knives that look very much like their higher-end stuff so you may need to do a little research before buying.

This is what I figured.

Also, not looking to buy a complete set. Going to try to piece it together.
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

7. #7 Default  
    I had some Kyocera Ceramic ones before. I like those.
    Oh Yeah!

8. #8 Default  
    Go handle the knife before you buy one. It doesn't matter what it looks like, how much it costs or what the reviews say... if you don't like the way it balances and fits your hand and movement then it's not worth it.

Personally, I've had Henckel, Wusthof, Global, Shun Ken Onion, Henckel Bob Kramer, and Miyabi.

For the money, I'd say the Global are hard to beat. Don't waste money on a pre built set. Get a good chef knife, carving/boning knife, and serrated blade. Last for me is a pairing knife.

If you want to go all out... check out Bob Kramer's website for a custom knife. www.kramerknives.com
    His custom blades go for upwards of $10k... the last auction for a charity went for something like $25k for a chef's knife.
    -Mike
    2006 Quarter Pounder Sport GT with cheese.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    Just buying the high-end name doesn't guarantee good knives. I think Wushtof, Henckels, etc all have low-end lines of knives that look very much like their higher-end stuff so you may need to do a little research before buying.

I have a nice paring knife, but rarely use it.

-Justin

Yup... Stay away from the low end stuff from the big names.
    I very rarely ever use a pairing knife. As for chef knife... the "general rule" was get the biggest knife you feel comfortable using. I'm not sure I agree with that, but it's really a personal preference. I've always gone for a knife around 8"
    -Mike

10. #10 Default  
    the most important thing is to get good quality...but a close second is to get a knife that fits comfortably in your hand, you really need to go to the store and hold one, theres no point in having a $500 knife if its not comfortable to cut with

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    the most important thing is to get good quality...but a close second is to get a knife that fits comfortably in your hand, you really need to go to the store and hold one, theres no point in having a $500 knife if its not comfortable to cut with
    but yuppie though?

12. #12 Default  
    I am poor so went the budget route and got a cheaper chef's knife but have been extremely happy with it. Ordered a Victorinox after a review on America's Test Kitchen about knives under $100 and it came in first place but cost $30.

13. #13 Default  
    Does it have a red handle though?
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

14. #14 Default  
    I have this set. It's nothing but the finest steel that is capable of coming out of china with half an edge.

My parents did give me a Santoku and pairing/utility knife from either Wusthof or Henckels. I seriously don't remember which, but it's one of the ubiquitous 3 rivet and red square logo styles. Had them 6.5 years, never sharpened them, and they're still great. Someday i'll fill out the set.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

15. #15 Default  
    you get 5 yuppie points because its red

Option 2: go to my dads house and steal one of the 4 sets they have up there and hope the tenants don't notice
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    I have this set. It's nothing but the finest steel that is capable of coming out of china with half an edge.

My parents did give me a Santoku and pairing/utility knife from either Wusthof or Henckels. I seriously don't remember which, but it's one of the ubiquitous 3 rivet and red square logo styles. Had them 6.5 years, never sharpened them, and they're still great. Someday i'll fill out the set.

I have this. I can put an edge on them bad boys

I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

17. #17 Default  
    Father of Phiff

18. #18 Default  
    I retract all my suggestions. Buy what Jeff posted
    -Mike

19. #19 Default  
    read this

http://www.chowhound.com/food-news/6...-first-knives/

then buy the knives jeff posted

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by mthaynes View Post
    I have this. I can put an edge on them bad boys

If I send you a knife, can you re-hab the blade? I have a Sabatier chef's knife that has the 'heel' (I had too look up what it's called) sticks down past the blade. This keeps the back part of the blade off the cutting board and has made the knife essentially useless.

I guess it needs to be ground down. I'm not too concerned about throwing off the balance since I can't use it now anyway so anything would be an improvement.

-Justin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information