Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Holiday season traditions...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #21 Default  
    That is some serious holiday spirit.

I need to go measure the barn.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

2. #22 Default  
    If my family spoke to each other we'd probably still do something big. Now it's just dinner at my parents and midnight mass

3. #23 Default  
    I am jewish so our tradition is on christmas eve we go get take out Chinese food.
    When in doubt go flat out. "McRae"

LSNation

2012 ZL1

2013 Caddilac ATS 2.0T Manual

2009 Honda Civic Si Brentuning track rat

1993 Mercedes 400E

2014 Focus ST RIP Blown Engine

2008 BMW 135i FBO SOLD

2009 335i XI SOLD

2001 BMW E39 M5 SOLD

4. #24 Default  

5. #25 Default  
    My grandma has like really fine china, like leave your credit card on the counter when you sit down. Someone ALWAYS breaks a fucking glass when they hand clean the 30 fucking sets, which always leads to a woman crying over it, more alcohol is consumed, which provokes more asshole comments, which leads to more crying...

fuck I hate the holidays

6. #26 Default  
    I never understood expensive dishes. We have Fiestaware in assorted colors. I did that on purpose so it's always easy to replace something because it's really not uncommon for me to break dishes, glasses, pans... If it can be broken I will break it. I am almost literally a bull in a china shop. If my mom offered me her china and the fancy silverware I wouldn't even want to take it because I'm almost certain to break a portion of it just transporting it home.

Thanksgiving weekend we went to an open house at our neighbor's antique store. It was absolutely fucking terrifying for me. I was afraid to move because everything was glass and expensive and the displays of expensive glass things were WAY too close together.

-Justin

7. #27 Default  
    Because #oldpeople? I dunno my grandma has normal dishes, then boom like the most expensive and hardest to find out of production shit lol. They are like 84-85yrs old so people always try and lend a hand to keep them off their feet. I never do the dishes because of this, but i'll move furniture or setup the long ass table for my grandpa. Usually like 3 long sheets of plywood. I'll update this thread with a picture of the table on Christmas day, its retarded.

8. #28 Default  
    My wife has 50 cousins so you can imagine what an event with all of the family looks like. It only happens once a year and we usually have to rent a hall.

As for China we have some stuff that is really expensive that both my wife and I picked out. I like using it, not scared at all

9. #29 Default  
    I inherited some china, it's been sitting boxed up for years because I don't have a safe place to store/use it.
    "It was more passionate than just cuddling"

10. #30 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Wasn't really sure how people were going to react to this thread... Glad to see all the different traditions

Well for us... When I was younger and my grandparents were still alive the holidays rotated between my mom/Grandparents, my Godparent's house, or one of my aunts. No matter who was hosting dinner later on, my mom and I, my grandparents and 1 of my Aunts and her 2 kids would get together for breakfast and open presents.

Fast forward many years, weddings, deaths later and we still have some of our traditions... we still do breakfast in the morning with the same family + kids and significant others. We still get together for dinner, albeit a much smaller group, we go to the holiday pops, and sometime in December about half the imediate family heads to NYC for a weekend.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #31 Default  
    I totally forgot the gingerbread house for some reason, we always made it from scratch so I never knew kits existed until I moved out here.

Now that I think about it, I should probably make one this year. Have a set of cutters, so I may as well.

12. #32 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    I totally forgot the gingerbread house for some reason, we always made it from scratch so I never knew kits existed until I moved out here.

Now that I think about it, I should probably make one this year. Have a set of cutters, so I may as well.
    Oh yeah we used to do a gingerbread house as a kid too. Have not continued with that tradition tho

13. #33 Default  
    back during the years of the huge gathering at my grandparents they made a gingerbread house too. A huge one (because that's a theme). They made a model of my grandparents house one year, full 3 story house. Thing was like 3ft tall.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

14. #34 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    They made a model of my grandparents house one year, full 3 story house. Thing was like 3ft tall.
    2 things came to mind:

which led to:

Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

15. #35 Default  
    Man a lot of you guys go all out. When I was younger we used to have dinner and have a bunch of people over my uncle's house on Christmas eve, he used to have an awesome snow village display set up and cook a big buffet style dinner, then they let the kids open one present. Then all sorts of family stuff happened, people died, people don't talk anymore, people moved away, and now it's pretty much me and my mom go over there with my aunt uncle and cousin, no display, still delicious food though.
    Used to go either cut down a tree or buy a precut one when I was younger and decorate it and all that jazz. I think ever since we moved to Wilmington when I was 16ish we had a tree once, maybe twice. Last year I set up a fake one and put a few lights up on the house because there was no trace of anything Christmas related at all. This year I wanted one of those 8 foot inflatable Abominable Snowmen from Rudolph since he's my favorite character but I'm going to wait until I have my own house to go full Clark Griswold on.

16. #36 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    This year I wanted one of those 8 foot inflatable Abominable Snowmen from Rudolph since he's my favorite character but I'm going to wait until I have my own house to go full Clark Griswold on.
    My step dad does nothing, and my grandfather always did lights when I was younger... I used to do some small lights when it was my mom and I. I started putting lights up a few years ago. Such a pita thinking of cohesive light designs.

Also a Gingerbread house family here too. My mom used to buy them pre built, then when we found the kits I started assembling. I made them a couple times, they are such a PITA to build from scratch, rather spend the time cooking food or baking
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

17. #37 Default  
    Forgot gift stuff. My parents always put a new book of some sort(was always fox trot/the far side/calvin and hobbes or similar for me) on the foot of our bed while we were sleeping, so we would wake up and read that instead of rushing downstairs to wake everyone up and open presents. Then we'd do normal stocking and present stuff. Then when 12th night came around we'd all get another small present.

18. #38 Default  
    It's cool to see so many family traditions, present day would lead you to believe family events are history...

As a kid:

I would spend Christmas eve with my moms side of the family, which was grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and friends. Then on Christmas morning I would spend time with my dad and do the whole presents/breakfast thing. Afternoon was Christmas at my moms and evening was Christmas at my others aunts and other grandparents. It was great to receive many gifts and see people but it was tiring. Such is the life of a separated family.

Present day:

Being that I love family, but loathed traveling across the state to visit everyone we implemented a process where we spend Christmas eve with my moms family (all of them) and Christmas afternoon with my dad and family. The morning is reserved for my son and wife + mom who comes up from Florida every year.

We have an 8 y/o so we decorate, but nothing too crazy. A real tree, outdoor lights and some little decorations throughout the house.

The one tradition I loved which my mom does with Joshua (our son) now, make a gingerbread house.

Matt
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information