Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Working Title: Greater Boston Grand Pricks

1. #1 Default Working Title: Greater Boston Grand Pricks 
    I think we can all agree that over the last couple of years, while we have more bigger named events such as CnC and various multiday rallys, not-YR official/non-pete organized events (open to all YR members) basically no longer exist. concurrent with my interest in karting/motorsport, I am going to put in efforts to organize a karting league for 2016 that is meant to be casual and all welcoming, yet semi-competitive to create an atmosphere that will be more engaging than just a handful of individual gatherings. I am going to use this thread as a feeler, along with talking to other motorsports friends who may not frequent here, to gauge level of interested to understand where I need to focus to make it happen.

The basis of this "league" is to have a handful of events spanning across a few months, with pre-determined schedule (as follow) so it won't creep up at the last minute to conflict with people's schedule. (notice how I am avoiding the end of most months, so I wont plan things for Feb 30th, or April 31st)

Tentative schedule
    1/23/16 K1 Wilmington Track 1
    2/13/16 F1 Boston - City Course
    3/20/16 K1 Wilmington - Track 2
    4/17/16 F1 Boston - Country Course
    5/29/16 K1 Kingston
    6/19/16 F1 Outdoors

Cost
    Without a firm number of people who are participating, I expect the cost to be $80-$100/person, per event. K1 tends to be a little cheaper in general, we can realistically do events there for $60 or even $45/person, so I think it is safe to assume attending all of the races will cost ~$500, maybe a little bit less.

The aim is to create a more structured set up, where it would encourage people to attend more than 1 event over 6 months, but not mandatory to attend all of them. As such my thought is to have a points system that will carry over from race to race, roughly like the following:

Best 2 out of the first half of the races will count for the total, and best 2 out of the last half of the races will count for the total, with scoring for 1st: 9 pts, 2nd: 6 pts, 3rd: 4 pts, 4th: 3 pts, 5th: 2 pts, 6th, 1 pt. That way if you have to miss a few, its not going to make the whole thing un-appealing. Or if you are worried that people can get too competitive, there are "mulligans" so you are not down and out from the get go.

Ideally I can also somehow get this to be somewhat charity beneficial? If we can generate $5-10 per person per event, it will end up being a few hundred at the end of it all. Not the most crucial of element for me to make this whole thing happen in any case.

Would welcome any comments, constructive or not, cuz god knows I've provided a metric ton of non-useful comments through the years, now is your turn. But constructive comments would also be nice.
    Last edited by cheu_f50; 12-17-2015 at 10:47 AM.
    Oh Yeah!

2. #2 Default  
    I've always wanted to go carting, maybe this is the answer. Will keep a watch.
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

3. #3 Default  
    "this isn't my first grand pricks you know." - Malory Archer

Probably in.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

4. #4 Default  
    I'd be in. Cristov would be in too, reach out to him of Facebook

5. #5 Default  
    I'm in

6. #6 Default  
    Tentatively in... but I'm sure something of mine will explode the day of the events.

Is there a trophy? Is it a giant bronze dong?

-Justin
    Last edited by Justin.b; 12-17-2015 at 06:25 PM.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    I'd be in. Cristov would be in too, reach out to him of Facebook
    He is definately in. Just spoke with the attorney himself

8. #8 Default  
    In....fyi with K1 you get a card from them and just "load" races on.

how many races would we be wanting to do in one day?

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKVIP View Post
    In....fyi with K1 you get a card from them and just "load" races on.

how many races would we be wanting to do in one day?
    depends if you doing GA or VIP nomsaying
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    love to see your V... we have a bunch on the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    If referring to me, I have all the aids...

10. #10 Default  
    I am still in the process of thinking through how to get this kart league started, meanwhile I have scheduled an event at K1 Speed Wilmington for 12/27/15, 11:30.

I will create a separate event thread to separate discussions and thoughts for the kart league as a whole vs this one specific event.

12/27/15 event thread: http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showt...294#post563294
    Last edited by cheu_f50; 12-22-2015 at 04:36 PM.
    Oh Yeah!

11. #11 Default  
    Blog Entries
    I would be up for providing a trophy... Want me to post on Facebook? My suggestion is no charity segment, maybe collect an additional $100 per person? This encourages people to compete and show up. Depending on how many people commit, Top wins cash, second place has their season paid for, 3rd gets a neato trophy
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

12. #12 Default  
    I'll talk to you after the 12/27 "pre-season" event.

Just to see how this dry run works out and level of interest for people to do it monthly
    Oh Yeah!

13. #13 Default  
    Bumping.

While I had high hopes of getting enough people to kart semi-regularly, the reality is that we are all busy with the limited months of summer we have here in New England. I would really like to have at least 1 big (15-18 people) kart race/mini grand prix at F1 outdoors before it gets cold. Expect cost to come in just under $100, 3 or 4 sessions between practice, qualifying, and the race itself. How interested are we as a group to make it happen?

Tentatively let's call it a double feature with Cars and Coffee on August 27th, so karting take place in the afternoon after Larz.

Location: F1 Outdoors (798 North Bedford Street, East Bridgewater, MA 02333)
    Time: Sunday afternoon to be determined, expect 12noon-3pm roughly.
    http://www.f1outdoors.com/
    Oh Yeah!

14. #14 Default  
    Cannot make the 27th.
    Wish I could

15. #15 Default  
    works perfect for me. ill be taking that night off. so i have all day.

Thread Information