Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 1965 GTO Audio System...

1. #1 Default 1965 GTO Audio System... 
    Blog Entries
    So I'm coming out of install retirement to do a full system on our GTO... the idea is to begin to make the car daily driveable for 3 seasons a year. I am using a 5 channel JL Amp, JL components and JL coax speakers(I will update with model numbers later) and an 8" Rockford Fosgate sub that I bought years ago and never used.

I purchased a set of kick panels from a company who specializes in classic GTO parts, the rear speakers will be mounted on the rear deck and a custom centerconsole will be constructed to house the sub enclosure as well as the new head unit.

So for our installers on the board... what do you all think about porting the 8" sub? Is it a lost cause on the sub or would it be somewhat beneficial?

I will update this post tonight to include all the extra details
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Only Port for big bass on big subs. I've had both with the same sub in the past. Much preferred the sealed box's sound

3. #3 Default  
    I agree with Chris, but it does depend on the sound your going for. Do you want clean sound or just shake?

It might be moot on a 8 inch sub.. but you port for shake

4. #4 Default  
    Blog Entries
    right I know that... I was just wondering if it would make the 8" sub, a little bit bigger sounding... IE sound of a 10... or a weak 12? at 150watts RMS, I am getting no shake, nor am I getting a billowing sound...
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

5. #5 Default  
    Ported boxes are generally used to get more noise out of an under performing sub. But you loose quality or volume.

6. #6 Default  
    There are pro's and con's to both. A sealed box will generally be smaller in size and will play a little lower than a ported box. What I mean by lower is lower bass frequencies. A ported box is generally 3 db louder than a sealed box. The pro's are that you can design a ported box to put a bump in a certain frequency which will give you more output. The other advantage is that it will use less power to make noise.

Porting a box can be boomie, but also can be very accurate as well if designed that way. There is alot of design and tuning that goes into making a ported box sound good.

The disadvantages of porting is that if the box and port are not correctly made it will sound like poo poo and the boxes are generally bigger in size.

If you are using 8" subs that is fine. I do not do a lot with Rockford subs, but 8's sound awesome. If you are doing it in a center console, I would build a sealed box and try to build it so it loads into the floor, kind of like a home sub.

Hope this helps...any questions you can pm me or hit me up on my cell
    www.ultimatecreations1.com
    "Your Concept Brought to Reality"

7. #7 Default  
    Blog Entries
    perfect... Thanks Wayne, thats exactly what I was looking for... I already knew the theory behind porting etc, just needed the experience...

I wouldnt Normally go with a Fosgate sub but I have had it sitting in a cabinet, brand new sealed in packaging... for a few years. Bought it on close out when I was working at best buy for like $20 after discount

8. #8 Default  
    Any time
    www.ultimatecreations1.com
    "Your Concept Brought to Reality"

Thread Information