Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 2017 Newfoundland Trip

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #21 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    Twin turbo Mid engined V12 Pinz or bust.
    Would = death before jail.

2. #22 Default  
    Complications, we'd need to make sure we can get to the ferry on time. It's roughly 6.5 hours of driving from the Saint John New Brunswick Hotel to the ferry. I'm sure we need to be at the ferry something like 1-2 hours before departure. Earlier is better. So if we assume 9 hours drive time with lunch and gas, and worst case have to be there by 3:30, that's like a 6:30am departure.
    I think that 9 hour estimate is probably pretty accurate. With that in mind, it would be a pretty dull day to wake up at the crack of dawn to be on the road for a long period, just to then sit on a 14-16 hour ferry. I think time would be better spent taking our time going up, so we can stop along the way. To be honest, I think given the timeframe, it's overly ambitious to expect to do the loop around Avalon. I think a decision would have to be made. Either a more relaxed pace, and basically get to St. John's and turn around, or take the longer ferry directly to Avalon, and limit the driving and exploring to Avalon alone. Or...take the shorter ferry over, and the longer ferry back, avoiding driving over the same long stretch of road through the bulk of Newfoundland. Don't get me wrong, the scenery is beautiful, but there's just the one road, so once you've driven it one way, that's all there is to see, and it's miles and miles and miles of woods and tundra.

I forget how long we had to be at the ferry in advance. I don't think it was 2 hours though. You book your spot in advance. Like I said earlier, ours was delayed, so we waited a LONG time, but I think we showed up about an hour or so before the schedule departure time, and there was no issue.

3. #23 Default  
    If this trip happens there are going to be one or two just long long days. If we don't do that it will be a 14 day trip. The ride from St. John to Baddek wasn't bad last time, adding a couple hours won't make it too terrible. The plus side is the way I have it now the following 2.5 days are just chilling on Newfoundland so you can relax and recover.

I'm kind of leaning towards taking the long ferry both ways, and setting it up so that anyone that wants to drive the full length of newfoundland can do so on the way back. Leave early in the day and marathon across, leave the day before and take 2 days, whatever you want. We'll all meet back on Nova Scotia on the same morning. Should be a good setup to accommodate those that want the extra driving, and those that want the relaxing. If we use the long ferry each way, and don't drive across the whole island that knocks almost 1000 miles off the 3000+ number.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

4. #24 Default  
    If this trip happens there are going to be one or two just long long days. If we don't do that it will be a 14 day trip. The ride from St. John to Baddek wasn't bad last time, adding a couple hours won't make it too terrible. The plus side is the way I have it now the following 2.5 days are just chilling on Newfoundland so you can relax and recover.

I'm kind of leaning towards taking the long ferry both ways, and setting it up so that anyone that wants to drive the full length of newfoundland can do so on the way back. Leave early in the day and marathon across, leave the day before and take 2 days, whatever you want. We'll all meet back on Nova Scotia on the same morning. Should be a good setup to accommodate those that want the extra driving, and those that want the relaxing. If we use the long ferry each way, and don't drive across the whole island that knocks almost 1000 miles off the 3000+ number.
    Another consideration is the frequency of the ferry. It's not every day. The long ferry only travels from North Sydney to Argentia on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Making the return trip on Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. So maybe the best option is to get up there for the Sunday trip, and return on that Thursday. The shorter route sails twice a day for the most part.

And then there's the cost. It adds up. Again, looking at the current rates for the longer ferry.

Just to set foot on the ferry, you're at $115/person, one way.
    Your car? That's an additional $232, one way.
    And none of that gives you a place to sleep, just passage. So if you want to sleep anywhere, that's $177, one way.

So for a roundtrip, you're looking at $694 to sleep in a ferry chair, or $1048 for a bunk to sleep on. It's CAD, so that helps a little.

5. #25 Default  
    I never said it would be cheap.

I know what i'm getting into, and I still want to do it. Even if it's just me forever alone.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

6. #26 Default  
    I never said it would be cheap.

I know what i'm getting into, and I still want to do it. Even if it's just me forever alone.
    I wasn't saying you shouldn't do it. Just putting it out there so others are aware. It is totally worth it. I actually want to go back so I can go to Saint Pierre and Miquelon.

7. #27 Default  
    subscribed
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    Hennessey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12