Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Sonos

1. #1 Default Sonos 
    Anyone have the Sonos system in their home? I am considering getting few speakers for the new house. Review?

2. #2 Default  
    I have SONOS PLAY:1s and sound-bar. Both speakers are great, talk well with the SONOS:BRIDGE and the iOS mobile app is pretty convenient. One thing I like is running multiple zones for a party all from a phone or laptop. I have also seen the PLAY:5 and its a beast of a speaker.

You could likely build a custom sound setup for cheaper with a little knowledge and technical willingness... plus a laptop, but I think Sonos fits.
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

3. #3 Default  
    I have 3 zones in my apartment including a Play:1, 3, and a connect. I love the setup and while you definitely can do it all for cheaper, it's never really the same. Sonos is the standard without a doubt. I can give a more thorough review if you'd like later on today
    2012 TT-RS

4. #4 Default  
    i have a friend who has used the Play 1 throughout his house and really loves it. I love that you can listen to different tunes in different rooms. Would've a more in depth review

5. #5 Default  
    We have it at work and it's nice. The upside is that it's compatible with a lot of music apps, downside is it's expensive to step into.

A cheaper, DYI solution, would be a Google Chromecast Audio. Same basic principle tho I don't know if you can sync them like a Sonos system does.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

6. #6 Default  
    Mat has it in his house- sounds good to me (all I know)

7. #7 Default  
    i heard a set up once it sounded very good and the wireless install was pretty sweet. when my brother bought a new house we did Russound everything in it which is pretty good stuff but running wires and installing control panels and speakers was a PITA.
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    i know it isn;t the cheapest option, but i figure i will start small. Get on Play 1 and then add on every few months

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trptguy View Post
    i know it isn;t the cheapest option, but i figure i will start small. Get on Play 1 and then add on every few months
    The expandability is a huge selling point. Additionally if you have an older home with spotty wifi you can use BOOST mode and it becomes a WIFI mesh network. Another good thing about the Sonos apps is their adoption with so many other streaming services. Spotify being the best, it even syncs access to your playlists/likes. I just wish the mobile app was made a bit smarter, but that's not their strong suit.

Matt
    Twitter: @mkeefe / My Company: PixelBit

10. #10 Default  
    Okay, so a little bit more in depth.

For all in one speakers I have the play:1 and play:3. They're both great. They're both speakers more for atmosphere than serious listening. I keep the play:1 in the bathroom and the play:3 in the kitchen.

If you want a speaker that sounds really fantastic, get a Play:5, it's seriously great. Don't own one (yet), but I've listened to it a few times and would get one in a second if i didn't already have a good setup. All of the stand alone speakers can be paired with a second one to create a stereo pair, which is a really cool feature, but obviously gets expensive quickly.

Each of the speakers also has a very cool feature called Trueplay, which uses your phones microphone to tune the speakers, it's really cool and while I haven't heard a huge difference in my place, I know a lot of people can hear a huge difference before and after if they have an acoustically weird room.

I also have a connect, which is essentially just a box that connects to a pair of powered speakers. It's great if you have a home theater or an amp+speakers that you really love. I have it setup going into my AV receiver which goes out to an old pair of B&O speakers that I love. It's a great solution if you already have some speakers you like. They also have a Connect:Amp, which has a built in amp, if you don't have your own.

The real selling point is the house wise connective. It's incredibly seamless and easy to setup. It use to be that you needed a box to connect to your wifi router directly with a cable, then all the speakers just need power and connect wirelessly to each other. Now though you can just connect all of the speakers to wifi (which the app makes incredibly simple). Seriously, to add a speaker to an existing setup you plug the speaker in, go to the app, say add a speaker, press a button on a speaker, then it's done. To add a phone to control the system is even easier, just download the app, connect to wifi, choose connect to an existing system, and you're done, you can now control every speaker in the house. Once you have music playing, it's incredibly stable, I have never had a drop out, never, and I've had sonos for at least 3 years using it every day.

The only real complaint I have about sonos is the way it handles music. Sonos was conceived at a time when all of the music you owned lived on a hard drive in your house, so it made sense to make a centralized app where everyone could pick music from that hard drive. That model is starting to show it's age. Sonos is very good at integrating new streaming services, but they can't integrate new features as quickly as those services (like spotify) make new features for their own apps.

I really wish sonos products integrated Airplay or Google cast to fix this problem, but they haven't really seemed interested in doing so. you can rig something up to work, but it's clunky. You can play music stored on your phone, but if a friend comes over and wants to play a song from their spotify account to your speakers, they can't unless they want to sign into their account on your sonos system.

While it does take a little while for them to update their applications, overall it's definitely worth it. I know a lot of people who started with a play:1 and now have $5K worth of the stuff. Having music around the house is really wonderful and Sonos is still the best solution.
    2012 TT-RS

11. #11 Default  
    thanks for all the info, this just me even more sure that this is the system i want. Music is my business so I know that for real listening I will probably have something in my music room that is separate and more geared towards being an audiophile, but for having music around the house this seems perfect. We always have music playing and lately we haven't because everything now lives on our phones and iPods.

Sonos it is then.

Thread Information