Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Project 911

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Project 911 
    instead of randomly posting places, ill throw it all here.... starting from the begining.

as most ( all) of you know, ive always wanted an air cooled 911. years of owning other cars but always wanting one of these deep down inside.
    instead of diving in and buying the first shiney thing i saw, i actually put some effort and showed some self restraint on this one. i honestly bought the abarth knowing a porsche was next. well, that didnt work out as i spent way too much money on that car. but thats the price of enjoyment.

starting in earnest in may '13 i started researching, driving, and ultimately have PPIs done on several cars from ct to cannada to california and ultimately florida.
    fast foward to late october, novemeber. im between a privately owned car in ca that needs some work, and what looks like a clean car from a reputable parts distributor that also sells a few cars here and there. ca car is well represented, right color, but further away, and a c4. florida car is a c2 and i ultimately decide after a clean ppi that the money saved on shipping is worth it, and i really wanted a c2.

let the modding begin right?
    before the car even hits boston, i have a set of recaros from speedlife, i found a sweet momo porsche design steering wheel in england. fabspeed motorsports is already in the process of building me a catback and euro cat delete. appbizz has supplied the rs carpet kit and rs leather door panels, and a guy in montreal gave me a great deal on some other interior bits to complete the tan to black interior swap. all is well.

car shows up

looks alright. filthy, but alright. interior is even cleaner than i expected. wheels look beat up and clearly have been reprayed but im not worried. a bubble in the left rear is a pain, but im getting bigger and better wheels for spring. fire it up, sounds like an exhaust leak. meh, new exhaust coming. fuck it right? i wash it up and drive it home. everything feels good. doesnt feel all that strong, but im babying it anyway, learning the car.
    next day the clutch gets heavier. hhmm. that night coming home from work im having trouble getting in and out of gear. a few small leaks. drive it the next day big trouble. on the mass pike i lose the transmission. i somehow jam my way into 3rd gear and i limp it home. fluid everywhere.
    5 hours trying to get a tow truck and its off to euro tech in framingham. a lot of porsche guys spoke very highly about bill.

enter benvie. drops me off his fusion no questions asked. and when he needs it back, he wont take no for an answer when he hands me the keys to his shelby. truly a great friend.
    cut to the next day. damnit.
    diagnosis is master and slave clutch cyl are gone. well to make a long story short, the shop i bought the car steps up and covers the parts and labor. i also order snow tires. bill gets the parts overnight and two days later i get a call. more bad news. what i thought was an exhaust leak was actually a broken headstud in cyl 1. now comes the fun part. trans also has issues but minor. the ppi i got was bs, issues everywhere. the whole motor needs a reseal, and more.
    after a ton of back and forth, i put it to the shop: come up the car up and give me back my money plus fees ect, or step up and pay for the motor. we come to an agreement on the number, and the build begins, but not without more bad news.

thanks to chris eagan, im able to go see the car, pressure wash the motor trans and rolling tub, and chris brings the tub the tom joy at speedlife. i cannot begin to tell you guys how thankful i am for chirs' help in all of this. im in a deep debt to this guy thats for sure. im sure chris has some better photos during the cleaning.

well here we are. the motor is torn down. more bad news. cams are wiped. used oem set is like 600. might as well pick up some badass lopey ones for 1200 made from billet blanks. so more power coming. more money spent. the original issue, the broken headstud is pulled out with rust on it. well that means its clearly been broken for a while. so much for it happening after the ppi as the shop wanted to say

fan is trashed. as is the housing. that ain't cheap. but needed. so here we go
    best one is the heads. 3 cylinders are badly scored to the point where the ceramic coating is flaking off. today we find out why. the intake manifold was of at some point, and when the moron reinstalled it, he did bother to put the manifold back over the plastic runner. he actually clamped off the rubber coupler creating a massive vacuum leak. new heads off a '94 964 with under 50k miles have been sourced, and they are super clean which is nice.

Bath salts and dick pills

2. #2 Default  
    moving along...

today i decided that i didnt want to leave any power on the table. i am sending back my fabspeed exhaust for their full header back setup. headers, no cats, dual outlet exhaust. will ned to modify the rear bumper or source a left side cap to cut up for the tip, but its like another 20+. with the additon of the cams, its a good idea, and will only help make more power. i bet this is a 300hp+ 3.6 which is a serious amount of power for these motors. we discussed a 3.8 but bill actually talked me out of it. says a lot about the quality of the shop, the character of the builder,and what his knowledge base is. seriously, what he has forgotten about 911s far exceeds what i could learn in a lifetime. the level of his builds are truly amazing. here i am with what i think is a "major build" and hes got clients spending double what ive spent just on their brake setups and abs ecu ( 12k for the bosch abs ecu alone!). unreal how much money you can really dump into a race car.

new cams, new fan, heads, piston rods, ect. the motor will be brand new.

the trans needs work. redoing all the synchros. adding a rs flywheel and clutch ( its like 9 lbs vs the 22lbs stock flywheel) also adding a golden rod, and rothsport billet short shifter as well as doing the 1992+ transmission updates for good measure. with the hydraulic system being overhauled as well as the interior refresh, this will be the newest 1990 112k mile 964 ever.

next decisions are if i order more stuff for the interior. im looking at deletes for both airbags and the cover for that. a lower dash cover so i can remove that but hide the wires. pedal setup and aluminum floorboards. plus i might have the tan stock interior pieces i will have wrapped in suede to match the seat centers. will also need to do a shift boot to better match the taller billlet short shifter. i want a really short boot on it so its mostly exposed. and then the window sills in suede as well, will look nice against the leather door cards. not sure if i mentioned it before, but the rs door cards install also means pulling the speakers until i can get it to a stereo shop to have the speakers hidden behind the door cards. they are too clean to cut up and stick a speaker into. will look like this

as far as exterior goes, the carrera stripe needs to go, a paint correction. new tail.. either no tail or a ducktail. either way a dzug grille which i think looks dope. way better than the oem options. will also scoop up their h5 to h4 conversion rings so i can run their HID kit, since i drive a lot at night.
    i also want rs brake ducts to delete the oem fog lights and bumpettes

ducktail

no tail

3. #3 Default  
    once all thats done, then its suspension time. sway bars, new suspension bushings, and of course coilovers and wheels. im all over the place on wheels. suggestions welcome.

4. #4 Default  
    Loving all these build threads...sounds like alot of "freshness" to come in the spring

I bought more junk today too. Guess I should update my thread

5. #5 Default  
    Couple from Friday. Should have taken more.

Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

6. #6 Default  
    Wow that was sketchy as hell. You have never had a jack fail huh?
    Matt

7. #7 Default  
    Amazing start to what will be, I'm sure, an insane build thread. Sorry to hear about all the motor issues, it's not even close half you shared earlier on I'd have been wicked pissed at seller and place that did the PPI.
    1999 C43 AMG: E55 18' Monos, K&N filters, H&R Sport springs, Bilstein Sport schocks, Full LED interior, LED License plate, 8k HIDs head/fog lights, 10mm spacers, resonator + 2 sec. cats deleted, AMG license plate cover, AMG flat hood badge, matte black front grill, AMG pedals, 35% tint, yellow calipers, CF door pins, SS brake lines, Hawk HPS pads.

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Loving all these build threads...sounds like alot of "freshness" to come in the spring

I bought more junk today too. Guess I should update my thread
    Agreed!

Sorry to hear about the troubles, excited to see you add your touch to one of these! Also fcking awesome to see people stepping up to assist! What is the timeline on the build?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    Sweet I can't wait to see it. Inspiring me to put together a winter to-do list

10. #10 Default  
    Well the seats look fantastic.

I'm really sorry to hear about all the trouble you have had with it. I'm not at all surprised that you are going HAM on this car, or even at the sheer amount of money your putting into it, but as I said before it sucks that you have been forced into it outside of whatever timetable you may have been thinking about previously.

The car will be epic when done. Now that you are going to have a serious motor in it I forbid you from putting rotiforms or other stancy wheels on it.

Good looks Benvie and Egan for helping Mat out. Not that I am the least bit surprised that either of those two would be so willing to lend a hand.

This should be an amazing build to follow.

11. #11 Default  
    thanks for the well wishes guys. yea i got myself into a bigger project than i had intended in the shrot term, but i always wanted to build a hotrod 911. after driving a ton of cars (78-95) i realized the 3.0 were awesome, but too much work, the 3.2 was as much work to live with as the 3.0 but didnt appeal to me as much. the later 3.2 g50 cars are crazy money for what it is, and the 993 was too modern.
    a 964 however was the best blend of both. has the sexy front fenders and low tail of the earlier cars, but has power steering, abs and actual working ac/heat. add that to being the last of the hand buiilt cars, its got a lot going for it. the market is only getting hotter on them too.

anyway i sucks that my long term build is being forced to be done immediately, but im getting a lot done which means ill be able to enjoy a trouble free car for a while. and theres always room to grow with it. best part about these cars is the platform from the 60s-90s is essentially interchangeable. its the ultimate hot rod. i can mix and match to build the perfect car for me. maybe not everyone else, but me.

wheels are the next big decison. and as much as i dont want to like rotiform, man they have the nicest looking wheels. like ive mentioned, i go back and forth on the hre vintage series. i really want a 70s/80s motorsports look to it. the interior is gonna be pure RSA minus the steering wheel which will give it an older look. a ducktail is 70s, so i want old style wheels. the rotiform fuch wannabes are even appealing at this point.

funny as it might sound, but the bike was a precursor. i knew if i could follow through with that project, i could take on something bigger like a 911. and the bike turned out wild.. a couple of magazines and a ton of web features later. hell even a year after it was completed an isle of mann tt winner rode it, and triumph shot it for some social media campaign. i can only dream of the porsche getting half the recognition my bike has received.
    mike- i can only imagine what you have planned. finish that damn ruckus already
    Last edited by jjm4life; 11-27-2013 at 12:18 AM.

12. #12 Default  
    LMs or bust.

13. #13 Default  
    Great choice in that particular P-car! I'll keep my eyes on this thread to watch the development. Congratulations! BTW, I stopped, beeped and waved at you on Monday in Watertown. You were in Benvie's car and I was in a black Legacy GT, you were in some sort of zone...enjoying the car I guess.

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

14. #14 Default  
    beautiful car
    Porsche 991 GT3
    & Nardo Grey & Copper
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Teachart Steering Wheel-4.0 Livery Stripes- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    LMs or bust.
    Im into them.. Gotta be the right fitment
    Quote Originally Posted by UsualSuspect View Post
    Great choice in that particular P-car! I'll keep my eyes on this thread to watch the development. Congratulations! BTW, I stopped, beeped and waved at you on Monday in Watertown. You were in Benvie's car and I was in a black Legacy GT, you were in some sort of zone...enjoying the car I guess.
    Ha i was wondering why a random born guy was mean mugging me. Benvie told me later it was you
    Quote Originally Posted by bader.abbas View Post
    beautiful car
    Thanks guy.

16. #16 Default  
    Ordered a bunch of interior goodies from rennline, all in black.
    Driver and passenger floor boards
    New pedals
    Fire extinguisher and mount.

Seriously considering removing the passenger airbag, and then doing their airbag delete and lower dash delete panels.

17. #17 Default  
    Subscribed and approved!
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

18. #18 Default  
    seal of approval.

subscribed.

get the wing on. for sure.

19. #19 Default  
    and just when i think narrow bodied is the way to be..

20k for a rwb body. wonder if thats painted/installed ect. no big wing, not too big fenders, crazy deep wheels. ducktail. car is teh sex.

20. #20 Default  
    Haven't we been telling you to go wide forever? I know I have!

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast
Thread Information