Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Photography 101 thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Photography 101 thread 
    Hey guys. I feel that some hobbies lead to other hobbies. For example, I see all these amazing pics taken from various car shows, and now I want to get into photography too. I also have a few salt water tanks with corals and what not that i would love to take pics of.

anyways, i digress. I (and im sure some others on the forum) am very interested in getting at DSLR to start bringing to meets, nature walks, beach, whatever.

so i ask the photo gurus on the forum, can you put together an FAQ of the basics. what type of camera to buy, what lenses, settings, etc and maybe we can make it a sticky?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

2. #2 Default  
    What's your budget? General rule is to spend 1/3 of your budget on a body and 2/3 on a lens.

Canon vs Nikon. Do you know anyone with a DSLR? If so, get the same brand that way you can borrow and try different lenses before you buy.

Canon T1i is a great entry level DSLR and it records HD video.

3. #3 Default  
    I have a NIkon D60 with kit lens (18 - 55 mm) as my starter DSLR camera and it's been great. check my pic below or my flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gqjai/

4. #4 Default  
    you're into salt water tanks? haha I got a couple of saltwater tanks too.. small ones tho..

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    you're into salt water tanks? haha I got a couple of saltwater tanks too.. small ones tho..
    ?? i'm newbie here, so can you school me?

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    where did you see a saltwater tank?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default  
    be forewarned about photography, it is something you can get sucked into easily big time.

i agree, pick your family first. can't go wrong with nikon or canon, play with both brands and see which suits you best. they are pretty equivalent, despite what any haters say.

i like that 1/3 body, 2/3 lens idea. it definitely is all about the lenses more than anything else. once you get good glass, it's hard to use anything else.

when it all comes together its pretty rewarding. my wife took this shot this past sunday, 8/9.

8. #8 Default  
    Blog Entries
    oooh what were you fishing for?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    looking for bigeye tuna and marlin in particular.

but all we caught were small tuna's and mahi's.

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Mahi Mahi? You werent fishing in RI or MA were you? lol

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Mahi Mahi? You werent fishing in RI or MA were you? lol
    Sure we were. Left my dock in Warwick ri sat at noon. Came back Sunday at 1 pm. 233 miles roundtrip. We were about 100 miles SE of Newport.

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
    i agree, pick your family first. can't go wrong with nikon or canon, play with both brands and see which suits you best. they are pretty equivalent, despite what any haters say.
    I think the biggest difference is the way the body feels when you hold it (that's what she said). My preference has always been Canon, but I agree - if you have friends/family with one or the other, go with the same brand so you can switch lenses.

I would probably suggest just starting out with a kit lens while you get used to your camera and then upgrade from there.

13. #13 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyM View Post
    Sure we were. Left my dock in Warwick ri sat at noon. Came back Sunday at 1 pm. 233 miles roundtrip. We were about 100 miles SE of Newport.
    Never seen any of those colors of fish up here... my cousin goes out for his Tuna fishing too... never seen any pictures of bright colored Mahi Mahi though... what did you make the trip on?

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Never seen any of those colors of fish up here... my cousin goes out for his Tuna fishing too... never seen any pictures of bright colored Mahi Mahi though... what did you make the trip on?
    my boat is slipped in warwick.

15. #15 Default  
    Awesome shots Joe. I totally agree with everyone. From personal experience, I own the Canon T1i and it's a great camera to start with in the DSLR category. Point and shoot cameras are great for on-the-go fun, but the only true way to capture many of the dynamic photos you see here is with a DSLR and various lenses to suit your subject matter.

Glass is the big money factor for sure, but you get what you pay for. I suggest doing some internet research and check out many photography forums, or your local library for information. Start with the basics of photography and experiment often to learn the camera and your own creativity. Most of all, have fun with it!
    GOT PICTURES?

16. #16 Default  

17. #17 Default Photography 101 thread 
    Blog Entries
    I stickied this when I moved it back, figured a lot of people would want some info on starting to shoot

18. #18 Default  
    kk.... ive been reading up on astronomy lately and astro-photography.

since telescopes and cameras are pretty similar optically, i was wondering if some of the photo gurus could help.

ive come to an understanding that a lower focal ratio is better viewing a larger field of view? i asked this on the astronomy forums too, but got a big technical answer that requires over-analysis to understand.

in simple real world terms, something like an f/10 scope seems like its better for viewing individual objects, like a planet, galaxy, etc. a f/4 or something would be better suited for viewing a large frame, such as deep space viewing (assuming same apature and magnification)

i do understand the relationship between focal length, apature and the magnification. im just having a hard time understanding under what conditions a 'faster' f/ratio would be better than a 'slower'

(calling mike lee)
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

19. #19 Default  
    Generally in cameras the lower the F stop the more light you let in when shooting indoors. the downside is the depth of the focus field can be very shallow. A higher F stop will let in less light but will bring more objects at different distances into focus.

If I were to relate this to a telescope a smaller F will let you see fainter objects but at the cost of having to focus on that specific thing. A higher F will let you see more stars in focus at the same time at the exspense of losing the dimmer objects.
    Matt

20. #20 Default  
    beautiful. that seems consistent what what they were telling me, but in language that is much easier to understand
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information