Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Photography 101 thread

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #21 Default  
    What happens when you want to read a sign really far away?... You squint right?.. because making your eyes smaller makes things sharper.

Cameras work in the same way.. only it's called aperature.. closing the blades on the aperature makes the image sharper all around. The higher the f-stop the more closed the aperature blades are, the sharper the image is.. It's like making the camera squint.

So F10 is almost always sharper than F4.. Example of a completely "stopped down" f-stop..

Example of "wide open aperature"

Obviously, The side effect of closing the aperature blades is a lot less light comes in. so you will have to compensate by slowing down the shutter speed or raising ISO.. This is on a camera..

For your telescope stuff, I assume they say opening up the aperature is better for viewing wide fields because it allows a lot more light in.. allowing you to see more galaxies dot the sky.. where "stopping down" will probably make the dim galaxies dissappear.. but it makes all the ones that are bright sharper..

2. #22 Default  
    very good explanation mike. thank you.

to help the analogy better, know that you cant really change the aperture to adjust f/ratio.

scopes come in various apertures from 4" to 12" (and bigger), and then they come in various f/ratios based on the focal length of the scope. so these too are fixed.

the only real variable is the magnification based on the focal length of the eye piece.

they do make focal length adjusters (barrows i believe they are called) which do change the f/ratio to a certain extent.

oye, my head is hurting. i thought i blurred the chapter on optics from my brain.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

3. #23 Default  
    I went to some local stores and tried out a Nikon and Canon to see which I liked better. They're very similar but felt very different - ultimately I went with the Canon T2i.

4. #24 Default  
    Excellent choice on the T2i! What lenses do you have?
    GOT PICTURES?

5. #25 Default  
    Isn't T3i out now? I saw it on the canon website.

6. #26 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by ensigma View Post
    Isn't T3i out now? I saw it on the canon website.
    yea, not much difference between that and the T2i besides the swivel display like they have on the 60D

7. #27 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Mike, I don't wana clog up JDs thread here so maybe you could reply in the Photography 101 thread, but can you please explain to me how ISO affects shutter speed? I really don't understand ISO very well other than it making my pictures grainy sometimes.
    Shutter, Aperature and ISO are your 3 most important tools for mastering light.. They are like super powers in that they are really cool but all have side effects lol.. you probably know what happens when you raise and lower Shutter Speed and Aperature.. Raising ISO makes the sensor more sensitive to light..meaning images are brighter the higher you set ISO.. pretty cool right? The catch is, noise also increases... ISO should only be used as a last resort when you really need more light... With modern cameras ISO 1600 is perfectly doable.. any higher and you'd get a lot of noise and pics won't be as sharp...

your camera has a TTL metering system.. TTL means "Through The Lens".. when you choose any auto mode such as full auto, shutter priority or aperature priority the camera takes into account Shutter, Aperature *AND* ISO when it determines what the auto setting should be..So for instance using aperature priority means I, the photographer want the Aperature at say 2.8 always.. camera, you change the shutter setting to what ever it should be based on your TTL metering.. but also take into account the ISO I have set...

BTW, newer cameras also have auto ISO..which will raise your ISO if it can't see enough light TTL but I hate using that because it could set ISO higher than I particularly want..

here's a picture example.. Night game Fenway Park... I had a 70-200 f2.8 IS.. I wanted to freeze the ball so after some test shots I determined i needed at least 1/1600 shutter speed.. well at a night game and even at f2.8 it'll result in a dark picture so had no choise but to raise the ISO to like 800 in this case.. as you can see 800 is still perfectly usable on a modern SLR (canon 20D here)

Manny's double by leemiks, on Flickr
    Last edited by leemik; 05-11-2011 at 09:28 PM.

8. #28 Default  
    I am surprised they let you in the park with a long lens like that. I have been reading where parks like to keep everything but digi cams out.
    Matt

9. #29 Default  
    Fenway doesn't care actually
    The Garden = no SLRs allowed at all
    Gilette doesn't allow lenses over a certain length I believe (and that length is short)

10. #30 Default  

11. #31 Default  
    Mike, after reading your post last night I took some sample photos in my room, shooting the same thing with same exposure and aperture settings, only changing the ISO. Nothing was different about the photos. Does the ISO adjustment only produce a visible change in extreme conditions (low light or high light)?
    I also have a couple other questions:

Does shooting by hand or on a tripod affect the ISO, or how you should set the ISO?

Does a numerically higher or lower ISO make the sensor more sensitive to light?

Could you give me an example of an ISO setting say shooting outside at a sunny car meet?

Could you give an example of ISO setting shooting a car outside at night, with say less than perfect lighting?

Why do I seem to get both ISO 200 and ISO 1600 pictures come out grainy sometimes?

Also, could someone explain light balances included on the camera to me? Do you set it to auto, change it according to the conditions they give you as options, or have one that you use for all conditions?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information