Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: dumbest drivers by state/driver facts - WOW

1. #1 Default dumbest drivers by state/driver facts - WOW 
    Oregon's Drivers Smartest — Rhode Island's Dumbest, Study Says
    The Daily Auto Insider
    Friday, May 27, 2005

May 2005

According to a new study designed to gauge Americans' driving knowledge, Oregon drivers ranked highest with an overall average score of 89 percent (70 percent or higher is required to pass a standard driving test) while Rhode Island ranked lowest with an overall average score of 77 percent.
    These results were part of the General Motors Acceptance Corporation (GMAC) Insurance National Drivers Test in which almost 5,000 licensed drivers nationwide between ages 16-65 years took a 20-question written test representative of those used to award state driver's permits or licenses, according to a GMAC news release.
    The test was administered by TNS NFO, the world's largest custom research company and a leading provider of social and political polling. Drivers were given a 20-question test representative of a DMV written drivers test typically used to award a driver's permit or license.
    The results of a the test suggest that millions of Americans lack basic knowledge of rules of the road and safe automobile operation. In fact, the study shows that if tested today, one in ten drivers — nearly 20 million Americans — would fail a state driver's test. Furthermore, the study evaluated Americans' everyday driving habits, unveiling dangerous driving behaviors.
    Results suggest that many Americans find standard driving practices vexing, including merging, failure to yield when making left turns, and road-sign interpretation. In addition, many may not take such important topics as drinking and driving seriously enough. Twenty-nine percent (57 million) of drivers who drink admitted they would knowingly drive while over the legal limit "if they felt okay."
    General Driving Safety Knowledge: Where Americans Are Lacking
    •Drivers 18-24 years old are most likely to fail a written driving test (78 percent passing rate); drivers 50-64 years are most likely to pass (85 percent passing rate).
    •Drivers in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are the least knowledgeable; 1 in 5 were unable to pass the written driver's test.
    •Drivers in the Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes are the most knowledgeable with a failure rate of 1 to 3 percent.
    •At least 1 out of 5 drivers do not know that a pedestrian has the right of way at a marked or unmarked crosswalk. This is of special concern considering that drivers in urban areas are among the least knowledgeable in the nation.
    •1 out of 3 drivers claim to speed up to make a yellow light even when pedestrians are in the crosswalk.
    •1 out of 4 drivers would roll through a stop sign rather than come to a complete stop.
    •The nation's least knowledgeable drivers (Northeast and Mid-Atlantic drivers) are the most likely to speed.
    •Nebraska's drivers are least likely to exceed the speed limit.
    •1 out of 10 drivers regularly drives over the speed limit by 11 or more miles per hour, although 58 percent of drivers feel that driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit on the interstate is dangerous.
    •Younger drivers (18-24 years old) are most likely to speed; older drivers (65+) are least likely.
    •Half of Americans report that they do not know how to merge into heavy traffic.
    •60 percent of Americans say that they change lanes on a highway without using their blinker.
    •One-third of Americans have packed their car so tightly that their vision was obstructed.
    •17 percent of Americans have driven without a rear view or driver's side mirror.
    •1 out of 5 drivers do not know that highways are the most slippery just when it starts to rain after a dry spell. Fortunately, 96 percent of those tested say that they know what to do when they hydroplane.
    Which state has the most knowledgeable drivers in the nation? The following is a complete list of state rankings for the GMAC Insurance National Drivers Test.
    1 Oregon
    2 Washington
    3 Iowa
    4 Idaho
    5 Wyoming
    6 Vermont
    7 Nebraska
    8 Wisconsin
    9 Montana
    West Virginia
    11 Minnesota
    12 North Dakota
    13 North Carolina
    14 Indiana
    15 Alabama
    Nevada
    Missouri 18 Virginia
    19 Ohio
    South Dakota
    21 Colorado
    22 Kansas
    23 Michigan
    24 New Hampshire
    25 Tennessee
    26 Maine
    27 Arkansas
    South Carolina
    29 Georgia
    New Mexico
    31 Oklahoma
    32 Texas
    33 Utah
    Arizona 35 Mississippi
    36 Delaware
    Kentucky
    38 Pennsylvania
    39 Louisiana
    40 Illinois
    41 Florida
    42 Connecticut
    43 California
    44 Maryland
    45 District of Columbia
    New York
    47 New Jersey
    48 Massachusetts
    49 Rhode Island
    SOURCE: GMAC (excludes Alaska and Hawaii)

2. #2 Default  
    Sounds about right.

3. #3 Default  
    They should live down south. Left turn on far right lane. I live there for a year and absolutely horrible driving.

4. #4 Default  
    Yup. Makes sense. Perfect sense in fact.

5. #5 Default  
    Rhodie must have pretty dumbass dipshits as it's pretty tough to beat the maroons in this state....

I am always amazed and dumbfounded at the lack of driving common sense exhibited by the drivers I see in Ma.

6. #6 Default  
    I would have thought Mass would be the worst followed by a tie for second worst between RI and CT. I can't believe Connecticut wasn't right there with Mass at the bottom. Our drivers suck hard. Rhode Island drivers can be pretty bad though.
    2003 CLK55
    1999 ML430

7. #7 Default  
    •Half of Americans report that they do not know how to merge into heavy traffic.

then dont drive

•60 percent of Americans say that they change lanes on a highway without using their blinker.

i fucking hate this...even when no one is around i use my blinker

•17 percent of Americans have driven without a rear view or driver's side mirror.

fuckin pete
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stiggs View Post
    I would have thought Mass would be the worst followed by a tie for second worst between RI and CT. I can't believe Connecticut wasn't right there with Mass at the bottom. Our drivers suck hard. Rhode Island drivers can be pretty bad though.
    I've driven the west and east coasts top to bottom and cross country. The worst drivers in the nation undoubtedly have CT plates on their mechanical road obstacles. Without exception the worst in the world, and the least likely group of idiots to ever believe that they are bad drivers.

If you think you are a good driver but have CT plates - move. It is a serious enough problem that solving it is worth relocating.

-Justin
    Last edited by Justin.b; 08-03-2009 at 11:36 PM.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    I've driven the west and east coasts top to bottom and cross country. The worst drivers in the nation undoubtedly have CT plates on their mechanical road obstacles. Without exception the worst in the world, and the least likely group of isiots to ever believe that they are bad drivers.

If you think you are a good driver but have CT plates - move. It is a serious enough problem that solving it is worth relocating.

-Justin
    I agree!
    Lately it seems everyone in my state likes to ride in the left lane at 60mph or slower.
    2003 CLK55
    1999 ML430

10. #10 Default  

I will admit that I am the worst at this. I'll never change though and am a lot better driver than most.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

11. #11 Default  
    The worst in the world would be south america or chinese drivers. Dont even talk to me until you dive in those areas.

Scott McIver
    scott@kaizentuning.com
    Kaizen Tuning LLC
    www.kaizentuning.com

2009 GTR
    2010 Evo X

12. #12 Default  
    Blog Entries
    •Drivers 18-24 years old are most likely to fail a written driving test (78 percent passing rate); drivers 50-64 years are most likely to pass (85 percent passing rate).

-No suprise

•Drivers in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic are the least knowledgeable; 1 in 5 were unable to pass the written driver's test.

-Some serious idiots up here

•Drivers in the Pacific Northwest and Great Lakes are the most knowledgeable with a failure rate of 1 to 3 percent.

-Not suprising

•At least 1 out of 5 drivers do not know that a pedestrian has the right of way at a marked or unmarked crosswalk. This is of special concern considering that drivers in urban areas are among the least knowledgeable in the nation.

-I always stop for people in cross walks... well unless Im speeding of course

•1 out of 3 drivers claim to speed up to make a yellow light even when pedestrians are in the crosswalk.

-Its the Massachusetts Green

•1 out of 4 drivers would roll through a stop sign rather than come to a complete stop.

-The ones with the white borders are optional...

•The nation's least knowledgeable drivers (Northeast and Mid-Atlantic drivers) are the most likely to speed.

-We are also the fastest paced part of the country... we really do need like 28hours in a day up here

•Nebraska's drivers are least likely to exceed the speed limit.

-Has anyone been to Nebraska? I went for a track Meet in HS... Posted Speed limit was fckin 90mph... I wouldnt speed either if the speed limit was 90mph... minimum speed limit was 70

•1 out of 10 drivers regularly drives over the speed limit by 11 or more miles per hour, although 58 percent of drivers feel that driving 10 miles per hour over the speed limit on the interstate is dangerous.

-Thats it? only 11? Apparently never been on one of our runs before

•Younger drivers (18-24 years old) are most likely to speed; older drivers (65+) are least likely.

-Kids these days

-Get off the road

-If I signal, the guy behind me is gonna go there before I do...

•One-third of Americans have packed their car so tightly that their vision was obstructed.

-Who hasnt? Ever try to move?

•1 out of 5 drivers do not know that highways are the most slippery just when it starts to rain after a dry spell. Fortunately, 96 percent of those tested say that they know what to do when they hydroplane.

-I was pretty sure that these were givens...
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

13. #13 Default  

lmao this brings up a good story about driving with rachel to driven perfection on 93s...she slowed down, floored it so i could cut in...i put my blinker on floored it and myself and the truck infront of me cut over

and as far as merging...if it seems like someone is following the car infront of them...JUST LET THEM PASS...dont nudge them out then let 3 other people infront of you...FUCK YOU GRAND MARQUIS....fuck you
    What Graffix said

14. #14 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graffix View Post

lmao this brings up a good story about driving with rachel to driven perfection on 93s...she slowed down, floored it so i could cut in...i put my blinker on floored it and myself and the truck infront of me cut over

and as far as merging...if it seems like someone is following the car infront of them...JUST LET THEM PASS...dont nudge them out then let 3 other people infront of you...FUCK YOU GRAND MARQUIS....fuck you
    seriously though, have you ever been driving on the highway, middle lane, put your blinker on to merge into the left or right lane, only to have the douche canoe speed up to block you?

If you think I am kidding, try it... just put on your blinker when the car in the target lane is like a few car lengths back... they speed up to cut you off
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

15. #15 Default  
    seriously though, have you ever been driving on the highway, middle lane, put your blinker on to merge into the left or right lane, only to have the douche canoe speed up to block you?

If you think I am kidding, try it... just put on your blinker when the car in the target lane is like a few car lengths back... they speed up to cut you off
    o i know...i have to drive 128 to school...i can sit in the left lane...put my blinker on letting people know i wish to move to the middle lane to get to my exit and not one fucking person will let me in...like letting me in is gonna slow you down...if people use their blinker if i can let them in i will do so...however if you cut infront of me without using your blinker its game on asshole
    What Graffix said

16. #16 Default  

o i know...i have to drive 128 to school...i can sit in the left lane...put my blinker on letting people know i wish to move to the middle lane to get to my exit and not one fucking person will let me in...like letting me in is gonna slow you down...if people use their blinker if i can let them in i will do so...however if you cut infront of me without using your blinker its game on asshole
    These are precisely why I don't use my blinker.
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

Thread Information