Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Video Surveilance Systems, need suggestions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Video Surveilance Systems, need suggestions 
    Blog Entries
    So as the pool house continues through the project life cycle we are starting to get a LOT of curious people finding there way on to our property... A number of people have driven up to the pool house just to look at it. Even had one person drive up and get out of her car... when she realized my step dad was in the pool house she took off like a bat out of hell... almost hit our cars in the driveway and almost backed her corolla into a tree. So by the time all is said and done I would like to add a video surveilance system up to keep a tab on all of the curious on lookers, especially as we begin to fill the house with valueables...electronics, appliances, etc

Can anyone recomend any DIY solutions? Any security companies? Maybe even video intercom systems?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    So as the pool house continues through the project life cycle we are starting to get a LOT of curious people finding there way on to our property... A number of people have driven up to the pool house just to look at it. Even had one person drive up and get out of her car... when she realized my step dad was in the pool house she took off like a bat out of hell... almost hit our cars in the driveway and almost backed her corolla into a tree. So by the time all is said and done I would like to add a video surveilance system up to keep a tab on all of the curious on lookers, especially as we begin to fill the house with valueables...electronics, appliances, etc

Can anyone recomend any DIY solutions? Any security companies? Maybe even video intercom systems?
    People are that bold huh? Here is what my family uses on our "toy storage facility" http://www.ezwatch-security-cameras....FaM45QodhD_PrA

2009 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 5.5 long arm lift 37" MTR's Tuned

2009 Honda TRX700XX ECU, Piped

Ducati 900SS

2008 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Suzuki DR350 Supermoto Stroked

3. #3 Default  
    Security cameras won't do much for someone who knows what they are doing. You need something a little bit more geared towards preventive security. You're not always home to watch the cameras and once somethings done its too late. Sure you can go back to the camera and call the cops but if they are wearing all black and its dark out you wont have much of a case.

I recommend a dog.
    Last edited by Mr. Wolf; 12-14-2009 at 12:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

4. #4 Default  
    that's ridiculous! with the number of cars that go by your house, a gate seems like the best option. no? (and video surveillance as well)

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juSTIn View Post
    that's ridiculous! with the number of cars that go by your house, a gate seems like the best option. no? (and video surveillance as well)
    eventually thats what we are moving to... full gate across the front with motorized entrance...
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xJxDx0926 View Post
    Security cameras won't do much for someone who knows what they are doing. You need something a little bit more geared towards preventive security. You're not always home to watch the cameras and once somethings done its too late. Sure you can go back to the camera and call the cops but if they are wearing all black and its dark out you wont have much of a case.

I recommend a dog.
    That is very true... you wont ever stop the guys who know what they are doing... we're looking to stop the idiots who just stroll by... a license plate is enough for us to get. once we have the gates set up it'll be pretty annoying for most to attempt a break in... there are a number of houses on the block which will look more appealing

7. #7 Default  
    At a friends 5 acre farmhouse in India he has 5 german shepards(that are bigger than the ones you find here) and 3 dobermans
    I know none of their names....

8. #8 Default  
    What about some sort of a fence?

9. #9 Default  
    You'd be surprised how effective a bright orange POSTED sign is out front.

Those Lorex brand cameras shown in the link above are halfway decent just to observe an area, but they won't give you any real detail (faces, plate numbers, etc.) so it's just a basic monitoring system.

10. #10 Default  

Are you serious? People are coming up into your yard? That's way too bold. Yep, it's time to get some security going. You do have security alarms rights? IE. Brinks, etc.

Some of those outside cameras that can be watched from any PC through the network may be a good idea too. You can get indoor/outdoor models for that use, D Link, Cisco, etc make different models that even have low lux settings. Then of course, you have the sets that are not network based that you can buy at Fry's, and many other stores. Quite a few different solutions.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

11. #11 Default  
    eventually thats what we are moving to... full gate across the front with motorized entrance...
    +1
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

12. #12 Default  
    My buddy had this problem with the lounge he built in his side yard. He eventually put up a sign stating that there is 24hr camera system and all liscense plates were logged and tracked. After that people started walking on so he put up a motion activated sprinkler system... people don't like getting wet.

13. #13 Default  

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A RACING PROBLEM
    2007 GT3 RS KERMIT
    2007 C2S INKY
    2015 GT3 CYRIL
    2016 GT4, TWEETY
    2016 GT4 WOODSTOCK
    GT3 AND ONE MORE INCOMING.

14. #14 Default  
    i like the motion sensitive sprinkler idea

i also like this idea:
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

15. #15 Default  
    a doberman pinscher is your best solution, 2 if you have the patience to raise pups. they will be the best security you've ever had.

16. #16 Default  
    pete you can look at my ADT system

I have 2 cameras. both are live but the dvr can be motion enabled. can also view on line.

When the alarm activates it records for 60 seconds offsite.

Service for ADT custom home runs me 50-60 per month. Cameras are about 300 each installed as I remember
    Last edited by mthaynes; 04-13-2010 at 03:57 PM.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post

I recommend a dog.
    +1111 Overdeveloped whippet.

'94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~

18. #18 Default  
    I've always liked the idea of having good insurance coverage and a surveilance System. That way you're covered and you have a chance to obtain information or redeem property.

My house was recently broken into so I've been in the market for a system myself. The post below is from another forum (i'll post link upon request). Looks like a simple DIY webcam system that hooks up to a PC and gets monitored by the software offered in the weblink. The rest is explained in the post. Pretty neat.

I setup two simple usb night vision webcams. One up in my front porch, and the other under a soffet in my yard. I wired both up to a simple PC in my garage. On that PC I run software called 'Active Webcam'. Heres the link to the software page...

http://www.pysoft.com/ActiveWebCamMainpage.htm

This software is great, and allows me to setup motion detection. When the program detects motion in the monitored area, it can sound an alarm, send SMS, e-mail captured images, start broadcasting or record activity. I have it setup to send me an e-mail with a snapshot of the motion. It also sends it to my phone, and it records a nice video clip of the motion, and stores it on my PC or elsewhere. I will attach a snapshop from my front camera for example....(the bus coming down the street is what set off the motion detection)

19. #19 Default  
    Shotguns with trip wires.

20. #20 Default  
    you just need a couple hundred feet of this:

and a couple of these:

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information