Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Black Saphire Metalic E60 M5 detail

1. #1 Default Black Saphire Metalic E60 M5 detail 
    Blog Entries
    So Jeff had asked me to take a look at his car and see if there was anything I could do. From listening to him you would think the car was in worse condition than Sam's S65. When he dropped the car off with me I did some inspecting but really needed to get it clay barred before I could take a closer look. There was mud stains all over the car from the Uconn Car Show

Before I washed it:

Giant Scratch on the trunk(More on this later):

Stains from the mud(after Jeff washed it):

Swirls and other various scratches:

Last edited by 55fanatic; 04-27-2010 at 02:45 AM.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    After a quick wash I started clay barring all surfaces(glass, paint, wheels as well)

and then washed and properly dried. I then pulled the car into the shop and began to inspect the car. This particular car had been through war... As shone in the pictures above there were a number of deep scratches and what first appeared as stone chips all over the front hood. Upon closer look the stone chips were all over the car and appeared to be the begining of paint that has been worked past a safe point. With out knowing the full history of the car it was tough to know where it came from as BMW paint is quite robust.

With out a propper camera I was unable to shoot it. Unfortunately the condition of the paint was in such shape that I couldnt push it as much as I hoped. The worst parts were the hood, and trunk but the top portion of the doors and the roof also showed considerable wear as well.

Having said that I did what I could with out causing more damage to the paint. To finish off day 1 I applied a very small amount of touch up paint to a few spots including the trunk scratch. After about 24hours I started working on the car again and started by compounding with a wool pad... Most of the excess paint was taken off the scratch and it was enough to cover the deepest spots of the scratch.

Some various other spots were compounded on the car but with the paint as it was. I then proceeded to Polish on an Orange pad in which I lightly applied pressure to the portercable and pad. I slowed down the speed at which the pad "rotates" to limit the heat build up on the pad. Unfortunately lowering the friction of the pad also limits its effectiveness. Once I completed the polishing I moved onto finishing polish. I applied P0106FA with a green pad and begin slowly polishing, again being carefull not to build too much heat.

Once done with this I applied 2 coats of Lusso Oro, 1 thin, and one thick. I gave each panel a little more than an hour between coats. After the wax I applied a spray glaze to really give it that high gloss/mirrored look. Unfortunately the day after I delivered the car to Jeff... it rained. I will be redoing some of the detail to make up for delivering it the day before a weekend of rain.

Some shots of the car complete

After a little more polishing and the wax... here was the scratch on the trunk...

Front passenger door

Front Driver's side door

Trunk

Roof

What I found that was great was that the metal flake in the Black Saphire Metalic paint popped on the car in direct sunlight.

All in all it was a bit nerve racking but I am glad I was able to finally able to finish this car. Jeff and I have been trying to schedule something since I think October of last year. With another couple coats of wax on her, this car should be one of the hottest stock M5's around.

3. #3 Default  
    Nice work. Gotta hate the Black cars...
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

4. #4 Default  
    also gotta hate the dealers for covering up this mess rather than having the paint corrected like they should

nice job pete, looks good as always

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Unfortunately the day after I delivered the car to Jeff... it rained. I will be redoing some of the detail to make up for delivering it the day before a weekend of rain.
    ^^ fo real?

The car came out fantastic. Thanks again Pete.
    Father of Phiff

6. #6 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    ^^ fo real?

The car came out fantastic. Thanks again Pete.
    yeah man, I told you I would
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default  
    looking fresh...nice detail work.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    yeah man, I told you I would
    figured you had been drinking.
    Father of Phiff

Thread Information