Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: my car sales experience

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default my car sales experience 
    Ghuhhhh this is gettin aggravating. No where did I say I would even help with shipping. Woke up to this email after discussing my primary option of him payin my bank so we're both protected and they mail him the title:
    Dear Phil,*For Safety, I would prefer to use paypal.*Option #1 I will send the funds via paypal to you. I will pay half the 3% fee. You clear tile and pay your bank and bring clear title with you. *This way we are both protected. You drive it to buffalo airport on Sept, 3rd My brother will be there to pick up the keys and accept title. If you could let him drive over the border with your plates and a letter saying you are lending him your vehicle. He will drive over once over we will send back the plates fedex.*Option # 2 You can drive it to Atlanta GA. My brothers law firm. We will pay again via paypal, and cover half the 3% fee. You bring clear title and sign over. No border issue.
    Ok, so I lose money to paypal and then lose money for travel expenses and a day off from work. Sounds wicked fair... My response:
    None of that really works for me honestly. I work and have no vacation days left and will lose over a $1000 a day by leaving, on top of losing money to paypal, traveling expenses and so on. I'm willing to help but did not offer delivery or shipping help. If it goes thru paypal instead of my bank, then titling will take a very long time because then I have to wait till everything clears again and then go and pay and wait 5-10 buisness days for the title to come thru and go back and sign it. And then the title is in my hands and paid off instead of the bank having a record that you paid. If you have someone that wants to fly into boston, I will pick them up and make sure its all ready to go.

2. #2 Default  
    So am I wrong? If this was me and I was trusting a stranger, I don't think I'd put 23k into their hands and say "please come see me".

3. #3 Default  
    No, your not wrong. Pretty much every car ad on ebay I see the buyer is the one responsible for shipping. Seems kinda fishy also

4. #4 Default  
    Yea seems a bit fishy... He's asking for way too much, no way should you have to deliver the car. That's fucked up. When I sold my lancer I didn't do crap, he took care of everything because he was supposed to. If that guy wants your car so bad he's gonna have to come get it and do payment your way. He purchased off ebay so at least you can leave bad feedback for him, seems like you've done everything correctly here.

People now-a-days just fucking want everything done for them...

5. #5 Default  
    Pay for me to drive to Buffalo and fly/bus back.

6. #6 Default  
    So someone from Canada bought it?

But if they are flying into Buffalo already I dont see why they can't fly to Boston. Tell him you can take him to the bank itself to sign the papers for a title transfer which should make a buyer feel safer than sending money paypal lol!

7. #7 Default  
    Sorry, this sounds very sketchy to me...

"my brother will meet you"
    "let him drive it over the border"
    "say that you're lending it to him"

If you didn't say anything about shipping, I am not sure why he is implying that you'll help with the procedure? You need to be like, "Guy, this is where the car is, come and get it."

PS. F giving PayPal 3% of anything.
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2012 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2002 Porsche 996TT

8. #8 Default  
    FYI if you send paypal money as "personal" there's no 3% fee.

9. #9 Default  
    He gave me $500 deposit and we've chatted bout cars n shit, seems cool. But yea just lazy idk lol. I like kyles idea

10. #10 Default  
    I also imagine if you clear the loan yourself that it would take more than 5-10 days to get the title? Upwards of 2-4 weeks i'd imagine? Then you have to sign it and mail it to him which is overnight or a few more days.

or if he is trust worthy like he seems (shady but trusting you with lots of money). He can wait for hte title to clear, cover your expenses and you do this on a saturday or something?

11. #11 Default  
    Depending on which bank, the title usually takes a bit to transfer. Two cars I bought before, I had to wire like $3000 so they can pay the car off and wait for the title to come, so I can fly out there, get the title, put some temp tags and drive it back.

I wish it was that easy - fly out there, pay full price, get the title and drive it back.

Just tell him to pay off what you owe, get the title and have him ship the car with the title if he's too lazy to drive it.

12. #12 Default  
    He's tryin to avoid payin tax/title/reg fees at the border I guess. Can't say I blame him and that's why I'd have a notarized letter saying he can drive on my plates and I'll get an insurance binder. Pain in the ass tho. Wish one of the last 4 cars I bought from cali drove here at their expense.

13. #13 Default  
    Screw this transaction.

List it again and get a domestic buyer. Specifically say in the next listing that the sale is US only and must be completed locally. Ebay should allow the relist at no charge since you were unable to compete the initial sale.

This guy is smoking crack (if they even have that in Canadia) if he thinks it makes any sense for you to drive to Buffalo to sell this thing. If you drive to Buffalo, why wouldn't you just drive it across the border on your plates and then take your plates back with you?

Sounds all sorts of sketchy at worst or prohibitively inconvenient at best.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by philsans5 View Post
    He's tryin to avoid payin tax/title/reg fees at the border I guess. Can't say I blame him and that's why I'd have a notarized letter saying he can drive on my plates and I'll get an insurance binder. Pain in the ass tho. Wish one of the last 4 cars I bought from cali drove here at their expense.
    yea i mean we would all try something weird to avoid taxes at the border as well. I mean i "have not" but i'm sure some folks in this world have a bill of sale marked for pretty much nothing compared to the asking price.

The bank looks at you funny when you say you paid $8000 for a brand new 335i....just saying

15. #15 Default  
    I dunno sounds fishy

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylestt View Post
    yea i mean we would all try something weird to avoid taxes at the border as well. I mean i "have not" but i'm sure some folks in this world have a bill of sale marked for pretty much nothing compared to the asking price.

The bank looks at you funny when you say you paid $8000 for a brand new 335i....just saying

I think the registry got smart, Last time my friend registered a used a car they looked up the cars value and didnt go by what it said on the bill of sale.

17. #17 Default  
    I can't cross borders, he knows that. Bill of sale price doesn't matter (at least in ma) they value off a static price from model range

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    I think the registry got smart, Last time my friend registered a used a car they looked up the cars value and didnt go by what it said on the bill of sale.
    If you buy from a dealer, they go with the stated price. If you buy privately, they look up a value.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

19. #19 Default  
    yea well I register my shit in Alabama where I dont have to pay the stupid 6+% either lulz! 2.75% ftw!

But while this whole thing sounds "shady" if you look at the bigger picture, Phil doesn't really have the wrong end of this deal at all. I think Phil's bigger gripe is that he doesn't want to drive the car anywhere, especially 6+hrs. But dunno how shady getting $20k+ in your paypal and not sending the title/car anywhere is shady lol!

20. #20 Default  
    Lol exactly. I can be alllll sorts of shady. Hell I can say I'll deliver and walk away.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information