Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 24 hours of LeMons

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Well after chatting with some friends, it would appear we're really trying to do this. a quick description of the event for those not familiar:

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
    A nationwide series of endurance races for cars that cost $500 or less.

COME AGAIN?
    The 24 Hours of LeMons is restricted to cars that were purchased, fixed up, and track-prepped for a total of $500 or less. At most venues, the racing consists of tech inspection and track testing on Friday; long-ass endurance-race sessions on Saturday and Sunday; and breaks for sleeping, eating, and Band-Aid application every night. At least once a year, we also hold a straight 24-hour endurance race. Count on plenty of noise, prizes, water fights, and questionably civilized fun before, during, and after the track sessions. Finally, assuming you're still standing, there's the gala awards ceremony, wherein we present trophies, plaques, and winner's purses paid out in nickels.
    I have 4 drivers including myself that are pretty close to confirmed, and we're starting to look for a car. At the moment the sane option is a '95 Civic hatch, and the insane option is an Alfa Milano Verde. While choosing something interesting and rare like the alfa will guarantee we get accepted for the race, the civic will have a larger market for selling off unneeded parts, and will be way more reliable. Our logic is this year we go for getting in as cheap as we can, and in the future we'll build in the insane abomination combination of random car and engine.

Since we'll probably be picking a boring car, we'll need to come up with a good theme, more on that as we get to it.

I'll update the thread as we move along. I'm hoping to get a car in the next couple of weeks.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Blog Entries
    I have a great theme for an E30 if you want to build one of those... I'll give you a link to the build thread my E30 underwent...

I would even consider sponsoring this a little bit...

My car turned into a spec 30 race car after
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    The problem is that most of the community considers E30's to be cheaters (probably because of the performance for the money factor). I won't rule out the option, but i haven't seen one for sale yet in my limited 1 day of searching. I'll never turn down seeing other people's builds however.

If you're serious about sponsoring, even if not in a major way, let me know. We won't turn down any help.

what we really wanted to do at one point was build an abomination mobile. something like a Porsche 944/924s with an old slant 6 engine, or a small toyota pickup with a custom mid mounted engine. However i think we'll be saving these ideas for future years when we have more money and space to do the build.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    The problem is that most of the community considers E30's to be cheaters (probably because of the performance for the money factor). I won't rule out the option, but i haven't seen one for sale yet in my limited 1 day of searching. I'll never turn down seeing other people's builds however.

If you're serious about sponsoring, even if not in a major way, let me know. We won't turn down any help.

what we really wanted to do at one point was build an abomination mobile. something like a Porsche 944/924s with an old slant 6 engine, or a small toyota pickup with a custom mid mounted engine. However i think we'll be saving these ideas for future years when we have more money and space to do the build.
    I dont know if they allow pickups ... I remember reading a rule for that somewhere, but I could be thinking of the demolition durby in marshfield (which we should all enter individually one year i think)
    Oh Yeah!

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    I dont know if they allow pickups ... I remember reading a rule for that somewhere, but I could be thinking of the demolition durby in marshfield (which we should all enter individually one year i think)
    There have been pickups in LeMons before. It is really an issue of stability. If the organizers feel the vehicle is in danger of getting a scratched roof they disallow it.

I dream of a small pickup truck that is pretty much dropped to the ground...lowest CG possible. I also dream of having a boxer motor for it too... like a Subaru SVX motor. Additional low CG goodness.

-Bryan/Q

6. #6 Default  
    If i read the rules correctly any 4 wheeled vehicle designed for the street and weights under 4000 pounds is ok. an old toyota pickup MIGHT be under that limit.

7. #7 Default  

/Thread.

8. #8 Default  
    I wouldn't imagine a pickup even with a low center of gravity is ideal for this...the corner balance on a pickup is probably retard and not in your favor at all

9. #9 Default  
    It's a race for junkers. no car is ideal for this. If we went the mid-engined pickup route we'd be in it for the laughs, not for the chance to win. But that is further down the road. This year we want to do well.

and yes, we found the same model alfa that Noah just posted. it's not a smart choice for the race, but we found one.

10. #10 Default  
    I would think for the 1st entry, you would want a solid platform so you get the best feel for that much racing. You get a vehicle that isn't suited well, your going to just fawk with your mind set and any knowledge that you would gain over being behind the wheel that long.

thats my thought at least.

you guys got me interested in this now lol!

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylestt View Post
    I would think for the 1st entry, you would want a solid platform so you get the best feel for that much racing. You get a vehicle that isn't suited well, your going to just fawk with your mind set and any knowledge that you would gain over being behind the wheel that long.

thats my thought at least.

you guys got me interested in this now lol!
    we agree on this, which is why a civic is top of the list right now. the abomination mobile is for future events after we've done a few.

Get a car and a team, it's supposed to be an awesome event.

12. #12 Default  
    I have a few friends who have done this and they loved it.

From what I understand though, if they deem your car "illegal" they take it to the crusher, no questions asked. I forget the rules, but I think iI don't think you can spend more than something like $500 on the car, roll cage and seat are going to be worth more than the car itself.

13. #13 Default  
    one car per race can be voted people's curse and crushed. there is BS inspection where they make sure you didn't cheat and assign penalty laps according to how badly you did.

$500 total for car, unlimited on safety. cage is defiantly worth more than the car. I've read the rulebook like 5 times now.

14. #14 Default  
    Blog Entries
    You also want a car that is cheap enough to keep extra parts on hand...

Here is a link to what my car became... team bimmerforums E30 L'emons car...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ghlight=lemons

Chris, I will send you a PM with what I have in mind
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

15. #15 Default  
    i may have found team no homo's car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...item3a5fd5f705

brb driving out to wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

16. #16 Default  
    ahahahahaha, do it! I have a spare engine sitting in my garage. i'll sell it to you cheap. Even have a brand new clutch.

edit: actually that would be awesome for someone. i have an engine, wheels, wiring harness (if it doesn't sell this week), and other random bits. I provide for cheap. i just want them out of my garage.

edit #2: i lied. i'm dyslexic. though it was an 87, not 78. I have the porsche 2.5L engine from the 924S, not the VW 2L van engine.
    Last edited by cegan09; 10-28-2010 at 11:35 AM.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    i may have found team no homo's car

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1978-...item3a5fd5f705

brb driving out to wisconsin
    with featherlite trailer

18. #18 Default  

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

19. #19 Default  
    Following the theme, the Cougar (last one) could be the thundercats car....

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

20. #20 Default  
    Hmm, I'd consider entering my 924S... Might be voted for destruction immediately though... I wonder what I'd have to do with the top, it clips in the front, but the rear securing arms aren't working, so it's kind of dangerous both with and without the top.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast
Thread Information