Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: 24 hours of LeMons

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Well after chatting with some friends, it would appear we're really trying to do this. a quick description of the event for those not familiar:

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?
    A nationwide series of endurance races for cars that cost $500 or less.

COME AGAIN?
    The 24 Hours of LeMons is restricted to cars that were purchased, fixed up, and track-prepped for a total of $500 or less. At most venues, the racing consists of tech inspection and track testing on Friday; long-ass endurance-race sessions on Saturday and Sunday; and breaks for sleeping, eating, and Band-Aid application every night. At least once a year, we also hold a straight 24-hour endurance race. Count on plenty of noise, prizes, water fights, and questionably civilized fun before, during, and after the track sessions. Finally, assuming you're still standing, there's the gala awards ceremony, wherein we present trophies, plaques, and winner's purses paid out in nickels.
    I have 4 drivers including myself that are pretty close to confirmed, and we're starting to look for a car. At the moment the sane option is a '95 Civic hatch, and the insane option is an Alfa Milano Verde. While choosing something interesting and rare like the alfa will guarantee we get accepted for the race, the civic will have a larger market for selling off unneeded parts, and will be way more reliable. Our logic is this year we go for getting in as cheap as we can, and in the future we'll build in the insane abomination combination of random car and engine.

Since we'll probably be picking a boring car, we'll need to come up with a good theme, more on that as we get to it.

I'll update the thread as we move along. I'm hoping to get a car in the next couple of weeks.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Blog Entries
    I have a great theme for an E30 if you want to build one of those... I'll give you a link to the build thread my E30 underwent...

I would even consider sponsoring this a little bit...

My car turned into a spec 30 race car after
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    The problem is that most of the community considers E30's to be cheaters (probably because of the performance for the money factor). I won't rule out the option, but i haven't seen one for sale yet in my limited 1 day of searching. I'll never turn down seeing other people's builds however.

If you're serious about sponsoring, even if not in a major way, let me know. We won't turn down any help.

what we really wanted to do at one point was build an abomination mobile. something like a Porsche 944/924s with an old slant 6 engine, or a small toyota pickup with a custom mid mounted engine. However i think we'll be saving these ideas for future years when we have more money and space to do the build.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    The problem is that most of the community considers E30's to be cheaters (probably because of the performance for the money factor). I won't rule out the option, but i haven't seen one for sale yet in my limited 1 day of searching. I'll never turn down seeing other people's builds however.

If you're serious about sponsoring, even if not in a major way, let me know. We won't turn down any help.

what we really wanted to do at one point was build an abomination mobile. something like a Porsche 944/924s with an old slant 6 engine, or a small toyota pickup with a custom mid mounted engine. However i think we'll be saving these ideas for future years when we have more money and space to do the build.
    I dont know if they allow pickups ... I remember reading a rule for that somewhere, but I could be thinking of the demolition durby in marshfield (which we should all enter individually one year i think)
    Oh Yeah!

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    I dont know if they allow pickups ... I remember reading a rule for that somewhere, but I could be thinking of the demolition durby in marshfield (which we should all enter individually one year i think)
    There have been pickups in LeMons before. It is really an issue of stability. If the organizers feel the vehicle is in danger of getting a scratched roof they disallow it.

I dream of a small pickup truck that is pretty much dropped to the ground...lowest CG possible. I also dream of having a boxer motor for it too... like a Subaru SVX motor. Additional low CG goodness.

-Bryan/Q

6. #6 Default  
    If i read the rules correctly any 4 wheeled vehicle designed for the street and weights under 4000 pounds is ok. an old toyota pickup MIGHT be under that limit.

7. #7 Default  

/Thread.

8. #8 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristov9000
    welp I have a TON of e30 parts...
    Can we find these guys a $300 rusted out 30?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Can we find these guys a $300 rusted out 30?
    Please do!

I'd love to run a BMW, parts/spares would be expensive, but I am sure some creative accounting and scrounging would solve that problem.

I have found that I am really good at finding cars that are way too expensive for LeMons, but awesome deals. I just found a '91 Vette ZR1 with 23kmiles for only $15500 over the $500 limit!

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdy View Post
    Please do!

I'd love to run a BMW, parts/spares would be expensive, but I am sure some creative accounting and scrounging would solve that problem.
    I have more than a few spares....
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristov9000 View Post
    I have more than a few spares....

I want it all, I want it all, I want it all and I want it now. But in all seriousiness. Maybe
    Oh Yeah!

12. #12 Default  
    I'm a little hesitant on a BMW only because of the cheater title they have earned. It just makes it harder to get accepted to a race now. However, if one can be found that is well sorted, and for a really good deal, i might be swayed. Did they sell an E30 wagon in the US? I'd say yes to that in an instant.

13. #13 Default  
    What is wrong with me? I Just sent an email to a team about racing with them at the season closer in CA in december. This team races a '62 austin mini, a '68 mini moke, a '69 austin america, a '85 corvair, a harley powered prius, and possibly a chrysler K-Car.

This could be epic.

14. #14 Default  
    What is wrong with me? I Just sent an email to a team about racing with them at the season closer in CA in december. This team races a '62 austin mini, a '68 mini moke, a '69 austin america, a '85 corvair, a harley powered prius, and possibly a chrysler K-Car.

This could be epic.
    Wait... Need more info on the Prius...
    brass isn't good enough for those guys. Too heavy. They have burnt titanium because they are that awesome.

15. #15 Default 24 hours of LeMons 
    Blog Entries
    That's pretty awesome, lol

Are you guys gonna do a whole mad max theme?

16. #16 Default  
    not doing mad max. will post theme once designs are finalized.

got the damn louvers off. previous owner installed them with double sided foam tape couple pounds saved there. Almost ready to pull engine. Tomorrow i just have to drain coolant, unbolt the exhaust from the turbo, figure out where the hell you're supposed to attach the lift, and remove engine.

17. #17 Default  
    Typically we would pull the head with the turbo still attached, then unbolt the tranny from the block, wrap the block with some straps, and bada bing give it a yank.

EDIT: FYI, its easier to yank the head to replace the turbo than it is to try and do it in the car.

18. #18 Default  
    hmmmm. i was hoping to take the engine out in one piece. there are just no lifting points or rings like i'm used to.

need to put a new head gasket in as well as find what is leaking oil all over the backside of my engine. (fingers crossed for the turbo being ok).

19. #19 Default  
    i usually use a seat belt cut from the junk yard around the engine mount brackets...or intake mani...or exhaust mani...

oh and shoulda kept the louvers

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

20. #20 Default  
    Since you are breaking down the motor anyways, i'd yank the head.

And the leak is either the valve cover gasket, or turbo oil feed most likely. Thats about all i remember with oil being on the back of the block...

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Thread Information