Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Happy Birthday e30!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Happy Birthday e30!!! 
    25 years ago today in Munich, West Germany an early production, '86 model year 325es rolled off the assembly line. The car was built to US-spec and loaded with every available option other than leather interior. Bronzitbeige - Metallic paint with tan leatherette interior. It was one of the first US bound sport models of the e30. The 1986 was the first yeah of the "s" sport model for BMW since the e21 3-series and included a unique front airdam, rear lip spoiler, M-technic steering wheel, sport seats as well as stiffer m-technic suspension.

The car was destined for New England and Autohaus in Cohasset MA. Autohaus at the time was a BMW, Ferrari, Datsun dealer. It was at this time that my parents realized that the seats in my mothers Datsun 280z were perilously close to falling out of the bottom of the car due to rust. My father wondered why the carpets always got soaked when it rained. They went to Autohaus where 2 brand new 325es had just been unloaded from the truck... the first 2 es in New England said the dealer. That day they drove home in the bronzit e30 for $26,750 minus $3000 trade in on the Datsun. (expensive for the day... BMWs similar model today, 335is coupe, goes for up to $65k). The big selling point was the leatherette interior since they were afraid there 16 month old son would vomit on the real leather; I never did. Our next door neighbor liked our car so much he went the next week and purchased the red 325es that arrived the same day.

I grew up in the car... Driven to the first day of preschool in it, driven to first day of elementary school in it. I was always in and around it. I always thought it was a cool car with lots of gadget but it wasnt until 2 years before I was to turn 16 that things changed. My parents were about to trade the car in on Grand Cherokee but Classic Chrysler wasnt going to give them much money on the trade in. A family friend and mechanic convinced my parents to keep the car and wait until I was 16 so it could be my first car instead of looking for a POS used car in 2 years. I learned how to drive in the 325es, stalling in the Middleboro rotary and blocking traffic for 5 minutes and my mother screamed and I tried to get the car rolling again. I went to my Prom in the car. I liked it but I didnt really know anything about cars.

It was about this time that I started to research on how to replace the tape deck in the car with a CD player. I was exposed to the world of car forums and the cars future would never be the same. It started off with a stereo, then new interior, and wheels and suspension. Every step of the way I leaned how to work on the car for better or for worse. I learned everything I could about the car and BMWs in general. In 2005 I prepared for my biggest job yet. I would pull out the low reving, low hp engine and swap in a '99 M3 engine and 6 speed. It completely transformed the car from a tame cruiser to monster.

Thats where it sits today. It lives a pampered life now and on the verge of another engine swap and M-technic body conversion. So I just wanted to say happy birthday to my car... 25 years old today and officially an antique. Its been a crazy, up and down ride but a fun one. I am looking forward to the next 25 years with this car.

Here are some pics I took for its birthday...
    Last edited by Cristov9000; 10-31-2010 at 02:02 PM.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

2. #2 Default  

with her younger sister..

with me... and my mom that drove it to work everyday for 14 years.

'86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

3. #3 Default  
    Very, very cool.

I Love reading stuff like this -- car has so much character. love what you've done with it -- it sounds awesome.

Enjoy in good health!

4. #4 Default  
    submit to roundel?

real touching story btw. thats pretty awesome.
    Oh Yeah!

5. #5 Default  
    Beautiful E30! I doubt the E9X can age this well and look this good 25 years ahead..

here's a pic i took during the cape run:
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mahmood07; 10-31-2010 at 04:18 AM.

6. #6 Default  
    Happy bday e30

7. #7 Default  
    Congrats Chris, and happy birthday dirty e30

I will say this, i was there for the 1st day of modding this car, and plan to be there for the last.

Cheers!

8. #8 Default  
    Happy birthday awesome e30!
    2005 BMW M3
    2005 Volvo V50

9. #9 Default  
    Nice story.

What's the story behind the black one?

10. #10 Default  
    happy birthday! That's my favorite part about the car, the story.

11. #11 Default  
    Awesome story - happy birthday E30

12. #12 Default  
    Cool story, what's the overall mileage on body and motor now? Any restoration after all those winters? Will another newer BMW be your next addition? Btw, did your rents move on to another cool car, for your future ownership?

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    submit to roundel?

This. I think you could make it with the story included

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cristov9000 View Post
    25 years old today and officially an antique.
    does this mean legit antique plates and no more inspection sticker requirements?

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

15. #15 Default  
    Happy 25th Anniversary and awesome history!!
    FOB is FOB

16. #16 Default  
    Congrats and Happy Bday to the e30. You know how much I love these cars and to hear stories like this makes it even more awesome!!!!

17. #17 Default  
    awesome car, awesome story

i dont think many people on the forum truly understand what you have put into your e30, it may not be the fasest, lowest or loudest but its one of my favorites and one of the best modded cars arround

18. #18 Default  
    Seeing as no one else is gonna.......What the F is wrong with you?!?!?!?

And to think my m5 almost took the life of this e30. In all seriousness good story not many people will ever be able to have a story like yours about a car.
    Father of Phiff

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    awesome car, awesome story

i dont think many people on the forum truly understand what you have put into your e30, it may not be the fasest, lowest or loudest but its one of my favorites and one of the best modded cars arround
    ^this. It is all the little things that make this car sooo special.

20. #20 Default Happy Birthday e30!!! 
    Blog Entries
    Happy birthday dirty 30....

As much shit as I give Cristov about BMW's truth of the matter is that THAT car is a part of the family... 25 years and owned by the same person for all of it. As it is about to get it's second heart transplant the car only gets sexier.

Good thing winter is here though, he'll be able to take care of all the rust that's bound to be forming under the car from the 2 days of rain it's seen in 14 years
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information