Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Springs and shocks? Or just springs?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Springs and shocks? Or just springs? 
    So I've been contemplating getting springs for my Merc for a few months now. The ride is firm, but it still wallows through back to back turns like a boat. I also want to get rid of some of that ugly wheel gap :P I've talked to a few people about it. Now here's where I'm getting confused: I've always thought that you had to buy springs AND shocks, but some people have said that I can get away with just springs if I upgrade my shocks eventually and I'm careful over bumps. So what should I do? I'm looking at H&R sport springs combined with either Bilstein shocks or Koni shocks. I'm not looking into coils because I don't want to spend that much on something I can live without.

2. #2 Default  
    depends how big the drop is on the springs is. Generally speaking it is ok to keep the stock shocks if the drop isnt too crazy about 1.5" or less.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    depends how big the drop is on the springs is. Generally speaking it is ok to keep the stock shocks if the drop isnt too crazy about 1.5" or less.
    It should be about a 1.3" drop in the rear and a 1.4" drop in the front.

4. #4 Default  
    anything over an inch shouuld be swapped out as pairs.
    you'll really reduce travel, and the shock will always be in it's compression range.

I'm not sure if you're doing the work yourself, or paying someone, but if you're doing springs, the struts have to be removed, anyways.
    you'd literally be paying labor 2x for something that could be done once.

also, if the car has more than 30k on it, it's really worth doing them together.
    I would recommend going for a ride in other cars with setups you're considering.

bilsteins are a love/hate setup.
    HDs are great, and most people like them. they're actually not designed to be lowered.
    they're much stronger than stock, are valved stiffer, and have a pretty tolerable ride.
    they're designed/made so well that lowering on them is perfectly fine.

Sports are valved a little differently. their low-speed damping is fine for around town, but the high-speed/short damping is REALLY tight. you'll be reminded that you chose them every time you ride down an old, bumpy highway.

If koni makes an FSD kit, I'd look @ them. I've NEVER heard a bad thing about them.

if you're really concerned about the sloshiness(is that a technical term?) you should look into bushings/sway bar options. that'll clean up the snappiness of the car a lot more than the shocks/springs.

5. #5 Default  
    There's an old saying, do it right, don't do it twice.

Springs will put more stress on other components, mainly shocks. If you have a stock original, shocks, you'll be pulling them back out in a few months. Why do it twice(or pay to do it twice)?

6. #6 Default  
    what chassis is this? I don't know mercedes very well...
    year/chassis

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
    what chassis is this? I don't know mercedes very well...
    year/chassis
    2000 W208 with about 58k miles on it.
    We bought it new and was never driven for a while after a family member became ill.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    There's an old saying, do it right, don't do it twice.

Springs will put more stress on other components, mainly shocks. If you have a stock original, shocks, you'll be pulling them back out in a few months. Why do it twice(or pay to do it twice)?
    ^this

I ran springs on stock shocks & then switched over to coilovers. Haven't looked back since.
    '94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~

9. #9 Default  
    Given the options, I'd (me, personally) go Eibach or B&G. H&R tends to be on the extreme end of coils. Every saab/dsm/nissan I've been in is REALLY stiff on H&R's.
    personally, I'd choose bilstein sports, but unless you want a really stiff car, go bilstein HD. Koni adjustable is good, but the quality is just not the same as bilstein.

also, something to consider, is that vogtland makes a damper/coil kit that are engineered for each other. these tend to be good, but more on the touring/comfort side.

this is, again, why it's important to ride in cars with the setup you're considering.

for the sake of archives, here's about the best information you'll ever find on shocks/struts.
    http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets18.html
    http://farnorthracing.com/autocross_secrets6.html

10. #10 Default  
    KW's all day
    '94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~

11. #11 Default  
    Ugh, so many options. What is the best combo for being on a budget? Something like under 1k

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827 View Post
    Ugh, so many options. What is the best combo for being on a budget? Something like under 1k
    cut springs...

you'll be fine with just springs on the street
    '94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by TomieG View Post
    cut springs...
    Oh yeah, that sounds good.

What about the next step up? What combo should I do? I found a Vogtland suspension kit(shocks and springs) for around $780. I think that's going to be pretty cheap.
    Should I just pair some Bilstein sports with either H&R sport springs or Eibach sport springs?

14. #14 Default  
    best for <$1k?

vogtland have a decent reputation. I'd try and get in touch with them to see who makes their shocks/struts. I'm not aware of their making dampers.

here's a link to the vogtland kit pretty cheap. (no idea of this company's reputation)
    http://vogtlandsuspensionusa.com/Spo...duct_info.html

bilstein and eibach are the best, I'd say.

bilstein:
    http://www.ajusa.com/details/Bilstei...+2+Door+Coupe&

eibach:
    http://www.ajusa.com/details/Eibach-...g+Springs&vq=&

vogtland kit from a reputable vendor:
    http://www.ajusa.com/details/Vogtlan...sion+Kits&vq=&

15. #15 Default  
    Every car is different.

I'll tell you from my (is300) point of view.

For the IS anything past an inch drop (Eibach Pro Kit which I am running) you need aftermarket shocks because the stock ones will fail pretty fast. If you're looking for a slight drop then these are a good option. I'll honestly say the car doesn't feel THAT much different with just the springs, if I installed Bilsteins the car would sit close to a half an inch lower and the ride would be much improved. Except for your typical ricers on my board people that know their stuff agreed that running aggressive (2 inch drop) springs on stock shocks make the car handle like $h!t. For this car if you want to improve handling you want aftermarket sways - bigger difference on a stock car than any aftermarket spring/shock combo.

Like I said every car is different. I'd check MBworld to see the general consensus.

Like people said, if you're going to open it up then do it right the first time if you're paying for it. I did mine myself so if I wasn't happy it's just another Saturday afternoon, a case of beer, some knuckle skin and teaching the neighborhood kids new words.
    Last edited by Gregski; 11-07-2010 at 09:56 PM.

16. #16 Default Springs and shocks? Or just springs? 
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827
    Sending you a PM
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

17. #17 Default  
    Have Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach Pro Kit springs (1 inch drop) and the ride does feel stiff when going over bumps, I also switched to snows so that also has an effect on ride quality. I did not notice as big a difference in body roll with the springs compared the bigger rear sway bar with the ES bushings.

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...9018004&12=130

Cheap compared to what I paid for my struts/shocks.
    http://www.eshocks.com/bil_veh.asp?M...=All&SubChar=Q
    Last edited by husyk; 11-08-2010 at 09:37 AM.

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

18. #18 Default  
    With 58k miles on the shocks/struts, I would say the better investment would be to pair shocks and springs together.

I'm going with springs only because I have 20k miles on my car and only plan to have it another 2 years at the most (avg annual mileage of < 15k miles). Stock shocks/struts won't come close to wearing out before then.

19. #19 Default  
    I've heard the exact opposite about springs/shocks and anti-sway bars. People have told me that anti-sway bars don't do that much compared to springs and shocks. I'm guessing this isn't true after reading what you all have said :P

So since I'm trying to get rid of body roll, would a better bet be investing in front and rear anti-sway bars? I'm not as much into getting rid of the wheel gap as I am in decreasing body roll.

20. #20 Default  
    yep.
    swaybars+bushings, and lower-profile tires/stiffer sidewalled tires.

it looks like there's a few swaybar options for your car, too.
    and most swaybars can be swapped with a ratchet and jackstands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information