Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Check Engine Light- unplugged MAF?

1. #1 Default Check Engine Light- unplugged MAF? 
    Hey whats up guyyyys

I Installed a new intake on my 08 camry 4 cyl. installed last night, DID NOT unplug MAF, worked fine this morning, no CEL

Tonight, i decide to use the MAF cleaner (it was late last night, figured id clean it today)- unplugged like the directions said, sprayed it down with the cleaner, let sit for an hour or more- it seemed to dry really fast. reinstalled it. started car. Now my CEL is on.

Did I:
    A) trigger a code by simply unplugging it?
    B) screw up my MAF sensor
    C) none of the above

any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. #2 Default  
    let it go and see if it resets itself...if it doesnt you might have fried the MAF
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO

3. #3 Default  
    If it's because of the MAF being unplugged then let it be, don't reset the ECU, should just go away.

4. #4 Default  
    Would unplugging and plugging back in the MAF give me the CEL?

5. #5 Post  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbyb View Post
    Would unplugging and plugging back in the MAF give me the CEL?
    I've seen it happen with my motor. Some kid had the same exact issue.

Recheck the connections? Get the code scanned then you'll know

6. #6 Default  
    possible maf damage. umplugging and replugging will only set a code (if done right) when key is on or engine running. Also have seen (depending on design) too much turbulence from open element filters causing maf to read improperly. Where in se Mass do you live? I could help if you'd like.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW0330 View Post
    possible maf damage. umplugging and replugging will only set a code (if done right) when key is on or engine running. Also have seen (depending on design) too much turbulence from open element filters causing maf to read improperly. Where in se Mass do you live? I could help if you'd like.
    Thanks for the offer to help! I searched around teh internetz and found nothing really specific to my circumstance, but alot of cases where unplugging the MAF had tripped the CEL, and various ways to fix it yourself:

1. reset it by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and letting it sit for a half hour
    2. turn the key from 'off' to 'acc' and repeat 6 or 7 times, then start the engine

the latter did it for me, no more CEL. i also heard a way to avoid this issue would be before you unplug it (or any sensor), disconnect the negative battery terminal. does this make all your sensors register as incomplete ie for diagnostics/emissions checks?

also, you mentioned some open element filters causing the MAF to read improperly. basically, i have a standard conical oiled filter (not over oiled!) and the MAF is approx 6" downwind of the filter. would you expect this to make the MAF read improperly? its working fine now, spinning like a top.

im in the mansfield area. how about you?
    Last edited by bobbyb; 11-11-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: add content

Thread Information