Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Home Theatre Projectors

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Home Theatre Projectors 
    I don't know anything about them... Anyone wanna clue me in on some sub-1000$ projectors? I'm trying to decide if I want to go full projector and a cheapo 40" TV for misc stuff, or just buy a 55-60" LCD tv...

I'm re-arranging my room and my current TV isn't big enough for the distance the TV will be mounted to the wall. I was going to get a cheap LCD TV and mount it to the wall and put a pull down screen over it when I want to use the projector...

thoughts? Suggestions? Mike Lee?

2. #2 Default  
    sigh

3. #3 Default  
    and Mike suggested AVSforums.com to me, good site!

4. #4 Default  
    lol everyone wants projectors

you get yours yet kyle?

5. #5 Default  
    nah, mine was put on hold for other reasons..

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylestt View Post
    and Mike suggested AVSforums.com to me, good site!
    site isn't right

Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    lol everyone wants projectors

you get yours yet kyle?
    I want one because its the easiest way to get a huge screen and I won't have to rerun ALL of my wiring...

7. #7 Default  

8. #8 Default  
    lol thanks for link, google must be broken as well

You have a full surround system Jayson?

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylestt View Post
    lol thanks for link, google must be broken as well

You have a full surround system Jayson?

I have a ghetto surround sound coming from an old sony receiver. I have been slowly piecing together a nice setup but I'm trying to determine how to run in wall speaker wires currently. That or I might just go ahead and use wire-concealment strips and run them along the ceiling..

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bruce988jl View Post

I have a ghetto surround sound coming from an old sony receiver. I have been slowly piecing together a nice setup but I'm trying to determine how to run in wall speaker wires currently. That or I might just go ahead and use wire-concealment strips and run them along the ceiling..
    knock down walls and run wires behind walls?

11. #11 Default  
    I haven't really looked at projectors in two years so I'm sure all the players have changed already and anything i would suggest is obsolete.. I think even my model has been surpassed by 2 newer models since then..That industry moves very fast. avsforum is the best bet..

but I was reading about 3D projectors yesterday and thinking it might be upgrade time..

Two years ago you could not buy any thing new that was any good for under $1000.. you had to spend at least $1500-$2000...but who knows now..

--mike

12. #12 Default  
    I couldn't find ANYTHING worth a flip under $1300, the used market on this stuff is slim to none either from what i seen?

13. #13 Default  
    i think projectors are starting to make the change to LED lighting as LED tech gets much much better

and lasers!!!
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2372837,00.asp

14. #14 Default  
    Well now I'm starting to think there's no price difference for a good projector vs a 55" lcd...

15. #15 Default  
    Well now I'm starting to think there's no price difference for a good projector vs a 55" lcd...
    My used 52" LCD is way cheaper than projector i know that lol

16. #16 Default  
    i dont vollow pj's because i prefer panel for my viewing size..but those guys at avs are insane. i mostly hang out in the ps3 forum. the sponsors on the site do give great deals though so check them out. ive ordered my past 3 tvs from them and saved typically 25-40% off msrp

17. #17 Default  
    agreed AVS is what turned me from Rotel to Anthem for processors, BEST change I've ever made. (also broke my bank)
    Father of Phiff

18. #18 Default  
    After reading all of this. I need to save up more.

19. #19 Default  
    yup.. don't buy a projector because you think it's cheaper... The advantages of a projector are: Up to a 130" screen ... most ppl think that's only like double a 55" but it's not.. it's greater than 4x the size of a 55" (because we are dealing with height *and* width) and there's just something about a projector that makes the viewing experience more movie theater like over a conventional TV..

When it comes time to get replaced or move you don't have a 55" monster to drag around/sell.. put the projector in it's bag and carry it out.

Disadvantages: you have to change the bulbs every 2 years or so depending on how much you watch.. for optimum viewing it must be a dark room..

20. #20 Default  
    i dont really know how to tell you how to shop for them ... but this one

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CEoQ8wIwAg#

This is the next gen of what I have (i have the HD65). Matching that with a 92" screen its pretty ballin. And you can find that for around $700. so with screen + whatever else you need to make it work, its still under $1000. Highly recommended.

I personally think the 720P on a 92" is amazing quality, I dont think I can justify paying maybe $1500 more for a 1080P projector.
    Oh Yeah!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information