Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Fish tank thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
  1. #81 Default  

2. #82 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    intense... must be an avid aquarium fan... or Johnny
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #83 Default  
    Forgot about this thread.

I want that island. the thought of scraping algae off that glass gives me nightmares
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

4. #84 Default  
    Nothing fancy, but this has been my project for the last 2 months. It's down in the basement, and is designed more to be a hobbyist's tank than a display piece. If we finish the basement, then maybe I will pretty up the stand and make it look more like furniture. My goal is for this to be a coral nursery/grow out tank.

First impressions: Sloppy silicone job, will need to go over it with a razor. Nice beveled edges. Seems like its built like a tank (no pun intended). The overflow is sort of intrusive on the eye. I wanted to buy a non-reef ready one, but its not available rimless. The overflow has an adjustable weir with set screws to adjust the water level in the tank, which is pretty nice.

You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

5. #85 Default  
    Full tank

Sump area:

And mess of wires:

Cleaning up the wiring is my goal for this week. I also have a 25 cube build going on at the same time. That one is up and running (heater and a powerhead), but has a lot more work- need to install sump, set up ATO, a few external switches, run a long wire to connect it to the apex downstairs, and program the apex.
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

6. #86 Default  
    That mess of wires is a Neptune Apex, and I use it to control the aquarium. It has a nice web interface that makes programming and monitoring your tank easy:

It takes a series of inputs: pH, ORP, temperature, 6 I/O switches, that can be used to program a bunch of things. For example, if the temperature gets too hot and the heater is off, I can have it shut the lights off to cut back on heat. It has a build in clock, so my lights go on/off automatically. If you have LED lights for your tank, you can use the PWM output module on the apex to create custom color maps and ramping options for the lights. RIght now I am trying to use the 0-10V dc outputs to build a 2 channel dose that will dose calcium and alk. into the tank.

Thanks to Cegan for tanking my idea and designing it:

Here is a 6 port I/O break out box. It allows up to six external switches for what ever you want to use it for. Right now, I have 1 switch wired as a float switch. when water level in the tank gets too low (from evaporation), it switches on a pump to pump fresh water into the tank. I will have channel 2,3,4 wired as a SPST switches so I can turn on/off individual components (Return pump, skimmer, ext). Channel 5 is hooked up to a momentary switch. I will program that as a "feed" button, that will shut down all of my pumps for 5 minutes so that I can feed the tank. Switchl 6 is open at the moment, and not sure what I am going to do with it. I am thinking of maybe using it as some sort of leak detector:

You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

7. #87 Default  
    Fantastic, I would love to do something like this but would fuck it up. My UPS guy had 12,000 inverted in a tank and made one mistake and all went to shit overnight. I don't think I could handle that. I have a beta fish and that is all I can handle
    I am not a 14 year old girl, but I play one on the internet.

Who was the first person to look at a cow and say 'I don't know what these dangly things are, but I am going to yank on them and drink whatever comes out.'

8. #88 Default  
    Yea, it can go wrong very quickly. Stability is the key to success.

Everyone says the most important parameter is a stable pH. the pH acts as a Alkalinity buffer. If you keep your pH stable, it helps keep the Alk stable, and a stable alkalinity helps keep your calcium levels up. Hopefully come Christmas time this will have a lot more life to it. Right now it is just going through it's cycle phase.

I also have a second tank in our TV room that's a little further along in development.
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Thread Information