Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: BMW Window Tinting

1. #1 Default BMW Window Tinting 
    I had my windows tinted in July 2009. Since then, I have a couple of scratches on my driver's side front window from top to bottom as a result of rolling my window down. The place I originally went to for this job said that it's a common problem with BMW's and that there really isn't much that can be done to prevent it. Have you guys encountered this issue? Any thoughts as to how to stop this from happening? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!

2. #2 Default  
    hmmm I haven't had that issue and it's been like 2 years now with the tint..

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
    I had my windows tinted in July 2009. Since then, I have a couple of scratches on my driver's side front window from top to bottom as a result of rolling my window down. The place I originally went to for this job said that it's a common problem with BMW's and that there really isn't much that can be done to prevent it. Have you guys encountered this issue? Any thoughts as to how to stop this from happening? Any insight would be helpful, thanks!
    We have seen this happen on numerous vehicles, not just BMWs.

If a grain of sand, or small stone works its way in between the outside of the glass and the inside of the exterior molding, it will score the glass as the window is rolled up and down. The more the window is rolled up and down, the more the sand scores the glass.

My advice is to make sure you keep that area clean and free of debris. Blowing the moldings out with compressed air will help, or you can peel the edge of the molding back and run a microfibre towel down the length...

Best of luck,

4. #4 Default  
    i wrap a putty knife in a mf towel and work it back and forth a couple of times, works very well

5. #5 Default  
    Interesting, I'll have to try it out...thanks!

Thread Information