Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Thinking of making a couple home theater upgrades

1. #1 Default Thinking of making a couple home theater upgrades 
    Ok, sorry for cluttering up Brian's thread with my own questions. I'll make my own thread. So I have been thinking of upgrading some of my stuff, because it is lacking in the Audio department. My TV is not the newest, but it's still pretty good and I am very happy with it's performance. Since some members know this stuff pretty well I'll ask about it here. I am not going to go buy it tomorrow, but I am trying to get an idea of what to look into.

Here's what I have:
    TV: Samsung 46'' LCD 1080p 120hz. I am happy with it and not looking to change for a while.
    Receiver: Denon 3808. Just got this last year. Barely scratching the surface of what it can do. I am not looking to get rid of this either.
    Sources: 360, PS3, Comcast HD Box

Speakers (this is what I am looking to change):
    Front: Definitive Technology bookshelves. I think they are the SM350
    Center: Old Definitive that I stole from my dad
    Back: Boston Acoustic that came as part of a box set
    Sub: mine broke.

So I am looking for a new sub and I would also like to get new front speakers and move my def techs to the back. I don't know if I should change the center. Does speaker technology improve a lot over time?

Two other things I'd like to do, which I hope does not require any additional hardware:
    I have a couple DVDs (most of my movies are blu-ray. Don't have a huge collection by any means, but what I do have is high def since I only started a couple years ago). I would like to get the standard DVD movies onto my PS3. I think this is possible? It has a lot of disc space I don't use for anything.

I would also like to get the contents of my ipod on the PS3, but it is all in itunes currently, which is annoying because of the DRM. Is it possible to move these over?

I don't mind paying a reasonable price for software that would make either of these things easier, but I don't really want more components.

I didn't give any budgets because I am not really sure what they should be yet. I am not going to buy any super high end stuff, but I want to learn a little bit more about what extra money buys and then determine whether it's worth expanding the budget.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. #2 Default Thinking of making a couple home theater upgrades 
    Have you ever looked into getting a home theater pc (HTPC)? I set up mine for about $300 - just built one recently

3. #3 Default  
    no, haven't really looked into it. They seem kind of tough for me since I am not very good at that sort of thing. Also, I am not sure how much help it would be to me. I don't know what it can do that I can't already do. Except that I'd have another computer so the itunes library would be right there I guess. It seems like it would be a lot of work and cost for not a lot of benefit to me.

4. #4 Default  
    I have nothing to add here.
    Father of Phiff

5. #5 Default  

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    I have nothing to add here.

+1

Used to know a ton, now i know nothing.

7. #7 Default  
    Not so much that but he used the words budget and no high end stuff.
    Father of Phiff

8. #8 Default  
    ITT - I'm poor

9. #9 Default  
    your speakers are still very decent for home theater.. I wouldn't change them ..Speaker tech doesn't change very much.. just buy a new sub.. Subs don't really need to match your front speakers.

I second the HTPC... get rid of your disc based systems.. they are already outdated.. a HTPC is nothing more than a PC you connect to your TV.. and TV's these days are nothing more than a huge computer monitor anyways.. It's not like the old days where you had to get all kinds of adapters an connectors and then special software to get HD resolutions to work.. all plug and play now.

Get one of those Dell Zino's .. plug it into your TV and copy all of your music and media over to it.. you'll love it..

10. #10 Default  
    For a new sub it all depends on how big the room is. And since it is only a home theater sub, and not musical...you have alot more options.

I personally recommend HSU subs to people who want to do music and HT, but if you only want to do HT. Just get a lower wattage 10" or 12". Granted this still depends on how large the room is...
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

11. #11 Default  
    ok, so lets focus on the sub I guess. I use the setup almost exclusively for movies.

don't really want to buy an HTPC right now. If I spent the money on an computer, I'd like to get a desktop for general use. I think I could stream stuff from that down to my HT, but I don't really want to go that route at the moment. Mike, I was hoping you might know more about:

an easy way to load DVDs onto my computer, which hopefully I could then load onto the PS3
    and a way to convert the itunes music to a non-itunes format that things other than the ipod can play

12. #12 Default Thinking of making a couple home theater upgrades 
    You can rip the DVDs into a readable format using software like anyDVD but the legality is questionable. Then the ripped movie can be played back via media sharing (PS3) or played back via a connected external USB drive

13. #13 Default  
    There a lot of free stuf that will rip dvd's these days.. that's what yoy have to do to store them on your computer.. I don't think you can rip DVDs to your ps3 but as Ken says you can rip them to a network drive and play it from the ps3

itunes i know nothing about sorry.. I refused to put it on my machine after it tried to rename and reorganize my entire mp3 collection without telling me.

14. #14 Default  
    Mike you have to be careful when you install it- you can instruct it to NOT change your file names and folder locations during the install via one of the checkboxes. It's one of those installs where you can't just mindlessly click next until the install bars start- like the other apps where if you just do defaults, you get a bunch of adware

15. #15 Default Thinking of making a couple home theater upgrades 
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete
    ok, so lets focus on the sub I guess. I use the setup almost exclusively for movies.

don't really want to buy an HTPC right now. If I spent the money on an computer, I'd like to get a desktop for general use. I think I could stream stuff from that down to my HT, but I don't really want to go that route at the moment. Mike, I was hoping you might know more about:

an easy way to load DVDs onto my computer, which hopefully I could then load onto the PS3
    and a way to convert the itunes music to a non-itunes format that things other than the ipod can play
    Apple tv, continue to use iTunes?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    Apple tv, continue to use iTunes?
    yeah, that was option B. I just get mad that I tried to do everything by the book by legally buying my music and now I can't listen to it on whatever device I want.

17. #17 Default  
    I was going to suggest replacing the sub and adding apple TV. that gives you the itunes and net radio

18. #18 Default  
    how are you liking your apple TV? It can use wifi to get on my network, right?

19. #19 Default  
    5k you get best speaker known to your ear. Jussaying.

Thread Information