Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Electronics stores?

1. #1 Default Electronics stores? 
    The fan on my graphics card is currently in the process of shitting the bed in a bad way. I have to lie my case flat in order for it to spin at all(when it's in its normal position, it just binds), and even then, it's doing so rather laboriously.
    Back where I lived in California I had plenty of options for places to go to buy components(Fry's being my favorite http://www.frys.com/), but the only place I've found locally is best buy, which as we all know is a ripoff.
    That being said, is there anywhere local(preferably T accessible) that I can go locally to get a relatively new graphics card, or am I stuck waiting on Newegg/amazon etc for a week for shipping?

2. #2 Default  
    Microcenter in cambridge

3. #3 Default  
    Thread moved to electronics section.

Please reference this thread http://forums.yuppieracing.net/showthread.php?t=6611

4. #4 Default  
    You do it electronics http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/ in Neddham.

5. #5 Default  
    Doh, my bad, I completely glossed over the fact that there was an electronics section :s

6. #6 Default  
    i love Youdoit Electronics but last time i checked they didn't sell graphics cards .. and it's hella hard to try and get there via public transportation..

Microcenter is your best bet..it's in cambridge but not easily accessible by T you'll probably have to get off at Central and walk like 20 mins to the store =/

I've also given these guys a alot of business a while back.. looks like thy are still around http://www.ctscomputer.com/
    They are a mom and pop shop in Newton that stocks a lot of computer stuff .. This asian girl Lana who work there was a hottie that was a computer nerd too.. a rarity lulz

Any reason why you don't want to buy it online? Prices are most likely better plus you don't have to pay 6.25% sales tax and shipping is free most of teh time

7. #7 Default  
    actually i just looked at the CTS website.. wow that list of graphics cards is like 3+ years old lol ... better if you call them or go to Microcenter.

8. #8 Default  
    I'm fine buying it online, I just wasn't sure of how quickly the fan was going to go from barely working to dead. It looks like as long as I have my case on its side I should be able to wait on shipping, but I figured it would be good to know just in case something gets worse.

9. #9 Default  
    buy one of those $15 clip on small fans at walgreens.. open your case and make the fan blow on card... it'll work.. geek chic you might want to invest in a can of air and blow it on fan if you haven't already.. could just be dust clogging things up..

10. #10 Default  
    Newp, I took the card out of the computer, blew it out, etc. The problem is just that the fan(squirrel cage type) has gotten off balance or something, and binds against the shroud. I can spin it by hand, but if I hold the card flat it will stop spinning half a turn after I take my finger off. It's working fine with the case on its side(more or less-still noisy), but if I start tipping the case vertically the fan binds and stops moving completely.

I've been looking into replacing the heatsink but the everything I've read/seen makes me believe that it's a royal pain in the ass with my card.

11. #11 Default  
    Is your video card under warranty, if so time to claim an RMA. If it isn't look on Newegg for VGA coolers compatible with your card, may be cheaper to buy a new video card depending on your needs.

Video card buying guide
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...-570,2834.html

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

12. #12 Default  
    Unfortunately I think my warranty has expired-I know for sure it's 1 year default, but I've looked through my email and I do not see any signs of my confirmation from xfx(even though I swear up and down that I "registered" for the extended warranty), meaning that more than likely I am now SOL in terms of RMA.

I was hoping to be able to avoid having to by something locally(this post was more of an "oh fuck what do I do now" post), and it looks like I'll be able to do so, as the fan seems to work acceptably when positioned vertically(a result of my case being on its side rather than vertical)

13. #13 Default  
    XFX cards usually have lifetime warranty, have my 8800 GT registered at the XFX website. Using my brother's XFX GTS 250 since he upgraded to the GTX 470.

2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)

1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

Trade your games and movies on Goozex

Thread Information