Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Ice building up on front steps

1. #1 Default Ice building up on front steps 
    Hey everyone,
    I'm sorta at a loss of ideas right now. My mom's house has a front gutter that just freezes as the water melts down into it from the roof, then it overflows and drops onto the front steps and since the front stairs don't get sunlight its literally like a skating rink right now. My mom thought putting a mirror in the front yard to reflect the light to the stairs would help but then the mirror would constantly have to move with the sun... so nay on that idea. I thought about just jerry-rigging up a secondary overflow gutter to catch everything else but then it'll just freeze up on that. The front steps are granite/brick and don't ever see sunlight.

2. #2 Default  
    maybe switch from a gutter to a diverter.
    most houses/buildings have an inverted "V" over the door that pushes water off to the side. if you do this, you'll have MUCH less water on the steps.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
    most houses/buildings have an inverted "V" over the door that pushes water off to the side. if you do this, you'll have MUCH less water on the steps.

Aesthetically that looks terrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    I stopped a moment like that too... I wiped Mat's cheek cause he had nutella all over his face

4. #4 Default  
    well, short of heating the roof, gutter, or stairs, it's your best option.

I think like 90+% of houses since like 1843 have had rain deverters. have you ever looked @ the roof of a house? I don't think anyone's going to call someone out on it.
    Just don't paint it green/pink

however, water/ice damage is MUCH less appealing to everyone.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by g96nt View Post

We had one of those for a while and it didn't make a difference, I think as teh house settled the gutter running along the front of the house (the front door is on one end of the gutter) it no longer slopes down towards the drain... thus it sits tehre and builds up over the front door area..

6. #6 Default  
    You want to keep the water moving quickly so it doesn't have time to collect and freeze. Maybe drop the drainage side down a little more so it moves faster and make sure there's nothing obstructing the flow like leaves (even in the drain spout).

Or, add another drainage pipe right after the door in the direction of the rake.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

7. #7 Default  
    When was the last time the gutters were cleaned out? I bet there is buildup of leaves and other debris that is causing the water not to be able to drain properly...throw down salt on the stairs for now and have the gutters cleaned in the spring/fall
    E90 LCI 328i xDrive: M-Sport Conversion / BMW Performance Exhaust / BMW Performance Intake / BMW Performance Steering Wheel / VMR V710 / KW V1

8. #8 Default  
    What youve got is ice dams forming. Which is bad for the roof and the house. If we should get a thaw and the ice starts to melt the water has nowhere to go but back into the house. If you dont want to deal with it most roofers will clear them and clean the gutters out so the water will flow.

If you want to do it yourself.
    Go get a snow rake from home depot or lowes they also sell extensions depending on how high your roof is. Clear the snow off the first 3 feet or so of the roof. This will help but will take some time. Whats causing it is heat loss through the roof and heat from the sun its melting the snow from below. The water starts to flow but as soon as it hits the frozen gutters and frezzes again. The overflowing water then forms icels that melt off onto anything below.

The front of my house faces south and gets a ton of sun so I have to deal with it every year. Well I dont really do anything about it as far as the roof goes. To keep the stairs and walk clean use Ice Melt again you can get in at home depot or lowes it comes in a gallon plastinc tub with a shaker top. This is safe for plants animals floors ect. DO NOT USE STRAIGHT ROCK SALT!!!

Google ice dams if you want more info but thats the basics of it.

9. #9 Default Ice building up on front steps 
    Blog Entries
    Get a heating element and have the edge of the roof covered and maybe a temporary one in the gutter?

The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with. Hooked on anything on 4 wheels.

10. #10 Default  
    I'm running into the same issue on the back of my home. It's very annoying. Once the ice dam is formed, icicles form, melt and drip water straight onto my steps. My solution will be a diverter. Something simple like a strip of ply wood, or another piece of gutter to simply "splash" the dripping water away from the steps. My entire second floor is brand new so I know it's not an insulation/heating/venting issue (normal cause for traditional ice dam's). My problem is that my white aluminum gutter stays a lot colder then the roof itself (Roof see's sun about 3-4 hours daily). Water runs into the gutter, hits the snow and gets stuck, Freezes then overflows and causes the mess.
    Alex W.
    Owner/Tuner
    Granite State Dyno and Tune
    603-886-0827

94 6speed Supra -- CT76TBB, CCW, Greddy, HKS, etc
    11 Lexus CT200h -- Starfire/Caramel/Nav/Cam/Link/Audio

11. #11 Default  
    have you tried those salt pucks??? Throw em on the roof and they create channels through the snow and ice...toss a couple towards ice dam...pray it works
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO

Thread Information