Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Database and stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1 Default Database and stuff 
    So, i figured a good way to advance my career and get away from what im doing now is to learn databases.

    I know some visual basics and have takin a course in c+ programming, so im not completly new to programming or coding as i should say but databases are new to me.

    Any good tips to point me in the right direction would be helpful.

    Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by streetxdreamer; 01-19-2011 at 02:01 PM.
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,733,351
    Blog Entries
    2
    turn around and run
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    So, i figured a good way to advance my career and get away from what im doing now is to learn databases.

    I know some visual basics and have takin a course in c+ programming, so im not completly new to programming or coding as i should say but databases are new to me.

    Any good tips to point me in the right direction would be helpful.

    Thanks in advance.
    is programming really what you want to be doing in life ? if your gonna go to the trouble of educating yourself you may as well educate yourself on something you really enjoy not just something you are using as a way to get out of something else
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #4 Default  
    I despise programming


    2005 Civic EX Coupe SE (AT) - 21mm RSX rear sway Bar, Bilstein struts/shocks, Neuspeed Strut Bar, AEM SRI, Eibach Springs, Crower Stage 1 cam, bomerman19's BBK (Black), SS brake lines, Ingalls camber kit (F+R), OEM Fogs w/switch, EP3 Rear Discs (Black), EBC Red brake Pads (F+R)


    1997 Accord EX (MT) - 227k+

    XBL: burnout3amd
    PSN: burnout3amd

    Trade your games and movies on Goozex
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    turn around and run
    This.

    I work with C#, .Net, CE Embedded, and SQL databases... And it drives me nuts most of the time.

    I'm still trying to find that job where I can make six figures watching porn, playing video games & drinking beer... I know its out there..
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #6 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your girlfriends pants
    Posts
    6,194
    So you want to be a DBA or what? If so, I would get some T-SQL books, use online resources and go from there. You have two trails, SQL or Oracle, which do you prefer?

    After that, I would suggest getting certified. That covers quite a bit of formal training. I know several DBA's, let me know if you have questions.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

    R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

    E320 | On Chrome 16's
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #7 Default  
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Easton, MA
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    This.

    I work with C#, .Net, CE Embedded, and SQL databases... And it drives me nuts most of the time.

    I'm still trying to find that job where I can make six figures watching porn, playing video games & drinking beer... I know its out there..
    Contact HR dept at LFP

    I hated programming after I started. Gave up on it in college


    I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW0330 View Post
    Contact HR dept at LFP

    I hated programming after I started. Gave up on it in college
    Livestock Forage Program?
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #9 Default  
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Easton, MA
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    Livestock Forage Program?
    depends on you're porn preference, but I was thinking Larry Flynt Publications


    I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

    Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    is programming really what you want to be doing in life ? if your gonna go to the trouble of educating yourself you may as well educate yourself on something you really enjoy not just something you are using as a way to get out of something else
    Well, i do know i dont want to be in my current role a sr. fund accountant or any accounting role for that matter.

    Computer related things always came pretty easily to me, so i am just assuming this would be a natural step.

    As for what i really enjoy, not really sure. I have ideas but the ideas just sound better in my head than they would actually be.
    Reply With Quote  

  11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    So you want to be a DBA or what? If so, I would get some T-SQL books, use online resources and go from there. You have two trails, SQL or Oracle, which do you prefer?

    After that, I would suggest getting certified. That covers quite a bit of formal training. I know several DBA's, let me know if you have questions.
    Not really sure the difference between SQL and Oracle. I is noob at all this stuff
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Well, i do know i dont want to be in my current role a sr. fund accountant or any accounting role for that matter.

    Computer related things always came pretty easily to me, so i am just assuming this would be a natural step.

    As for what i really enjoy, not really sure. I have ideas but the ideas just sound better in my head than they would actually be.
    it just sounds like you might end up jumping from one job you dont like to another job you wont like

    try and figure out what you really enjoy then find a job/career that encompasses it and train for that

    just my 2 cents
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #13 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your girlfriends pants
    Posts
    6,194
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    Not really sure the difference between SQL and Oracle. I is noob at all this stuff
    SQL is MS based SQL, ala windows servers. Oracle can be windows or linux platform databases. You must be proficient with T-SQL no matter what platform, even if you use (gulp...gasp) MySQL. Take a look at these on Wkipedia for a little more in depth definitions and what is entailed.

    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    it just sounds like you might end up jumping from one job you dont like to another job you wont like

    try and figure out what you really enjoy then find a job/career that encompasses it and train for that

    just my 2 cents
    THIS.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

    R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

    E320 | On Chrome 16's
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #14 Default  
    SQL is a universally accepted database Standard Query Language (duh).. Oracle, MS SQLServer, Sybase, Informix, mySQL etc..., are database systems that supposedly conform to the SQL standard. Those that work with SQL databases know that's not 100% true. It's like HTML and browsers.. HTML is the universal language of browsers but IE, Chrome, Opera, FireFox all implement and use it slightly different.

    There are two paths you can take in the DB world.. you can be a developer and work with SQL databases and some other language usually or you can be a DBA (Database Administrator).. The guy who takes care of the db systems and is responsible for the 100% uptime of them.

    like Stephen says.. you will have to be happy doing this type of work or you will be totally miserable.. I personally hate DBA work (too much pressure) and actually enjoy the development part of it..

    If you want to get started in the database world i would suggest you download mySQL and start playing around with it in your spare time.. everything you need to learn is online... build an app that interests you.. if all of that sounds like no fun, WTF, nerd shit no way.. then this life is not for you.
    Reply With Quote  

  15. #15 Default  
    Actually i lied a little .. there is another possible career path.. that is to write SQL reports all day.
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #16 Default  
    I'm DBA and have been for about 8 years now. Thankfully i got in at SAIC with this IBM product called DOORS, which is now pretty standard on any gov't contract it seems so as long as the gov't is around, and this product is around, i'm needed lol.

    I continue to write myself as a single point failure with anything i touch just to keep job security and i always make things out to be a bigger deal than they are (because NOBODY in the building wants to learn the product). So in the building of 1500 employees, we have an older lady and myself. She wants to retire and can't handle the entire system by herself so thats why they brought me in.

    In a nut shell i hate my job, however its easy work since i've "mastered" it in a way. I can not complain about the pay, so i'll continue until i hit the lottery (that i dont buy a ticket for)
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #17 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your girlfriends pants
    Posts
    6,194
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    SQL is a universally accepted database Standard Query Language (duh).. Oracle, MS SQLServer, Sybase, Informix, mySQL etc..., are database systems that supposedly conform to the SQL standard. Those that work with SQL databases know that's not 100% true. It's like HTML and browsers.. HTML is the universal language of browsers but IE, Chrome, Opera, FireFox all implement and use it slightly different.

    There are two paths you can take in the DB world.. you can be a developer and work with SQL databases and some other language usually or you can be a DBA (Database Administrator).. The guy who takes care of the db systems and is responsible for the 100% uptime of them.

    like Stephen says.. you will have to be happy doing this type of work or you will be totally miserable.. I personally hate DBA work (too much pressure) and actually enjoy the development part of it..

    If you want to get started in the database world i would suggest you download mySQL and start playing around with it in your spare time.. everything you need to learn is online... build an app that interests you.. if all of that sounds like no fun, WTF, nerd shit no way.. then this life is not for you.
    Some good advice, I have dealt with SQL (MySQL, MSSQL 2005/2K8), and Oracle for a few years. I never wanted to get into DBA roles, for reasons you mentioned above. A lot of applications I use and support relies on DB's, so I have to know some on depth stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    Actually i lied a little .. there is another possible career path.. that is to write SQL reports all day.
    Yes, and goodness that is BORING.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

    R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

    E320 | On Chrome 16's
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #18 Default  
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your girlfriends pants
    Posts
    6,194
    Quote Originally Posted by Kylestt View Post
    I'm DBA and have been for about 8 years now. Thankfully i got in at SAIC with this IBM product called DOORS, which is now pretty standard on any gov't contract it seems so as long as the gov't is around, and this product is around, i'm needed lol.

    I continue to write myself as a single point failure with anything i touch just to keep job security and i always make things out to be a bigger deal than they are (because NOBODY in the building wants to learn the product). So in the building of 1500 employees, we have an older lady and myself. She wants to retire and can't handle the entire system by herself so thats why they brought me in.

    In a nut shell i hate my job, however its easy work since i've "mastered" it in a way. I can not complain about the pay, so i'll continue until i hit the lottery (that i dont buy a ticket for)
    LOL, there is a reason why they don't! Listen to Lee and Kyle. Most of the DBA's I know are...kind of special.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

    R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

    E320 | On Chrome 16's
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #19 Default  
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Somerville, MA
    Posts
    9,747
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    LOL, there is a reason why they don't! Listen to Lee and Kyle. Most of the DBA's I know are...kind of special.
    Special like masochistic or special like slow in the head?
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Some good advice, I have dealt with SQL (MySQL, MSSQL 2005/2K8), and Oracle for a few years.
    Oracle uses the SQL standard too

    I started as a Mac developer(pre OSX).. Went to windows.. then started specializing inthe database aspect of development.. then became a database architect.. designed and built SQL database systems.. now I do database admin work (which i hate because they wake me up all hours of night) but i still also design and implement database systems.. I've used and developed on every major SQL based system that exists.. Oracle, Microsoft, MySQL, Sybase, Informix, even AS400.. whose entire OS is SQL based..
    Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with Car Registration stuff
    By kylestt in forum All Automotive
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-13-2011, 02:27 PM
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •