Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Lilac Farm Build Thread

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default Lilac Farm Build Thread 
    i figured i would document the build/rennovation project

project: lilac farm, rennovation, remodel
    8300 square foot farmhouse/manor house
    built sometime bweteen 1680-1725 depending which source you use
    9 bedrooms, 4 1/2 bathrooms, 10 fireplaces, 5 bathrooms, 3 barns, 1 1/2 acres

the previous owner invested a lot of money in the kitchen and heating so those are all set, the upgrades needed are new windows (i have a good source ) electrical, changing it from 9 bedrooms to 5 suites, landscaping, changing one of the barns to a 2 car garage (making a total of 5 bays)

i will be a doing a lot of the work myself as i enjoy it and i get b ored easily so this keeps me occupied, i have various subs and will be using them as i see fit

demo started on the third floor which is currently 3 bedrooms one bathroom, this will become the master suite (approx 800 sq ft)

my friend and i started the demo but i quickly decided that it sucked so i hired some guys to do it for me

crappy iphone pics

the dumpster is full of the previous owners crap so they cant empty the room until the new one gets here hopefully tomorrow but probably friday

i also had 2 electricians here for the past week re-wiring the house to get rid of the old knob and tube wiring, adding more outlets, running cable etc

some of the rooms are perfectly fine already and just need a coat of paint, the kitchen and attached 'living room' are awesome, the new lcd tv will be mounted above the fireplace tonight, we need to pick out a new fireplace insert as the white thing looks hideous, that willpretty much complete the room

the other living room is in great shape too, just needs a coat of paint

we cant paint anything yet as the whole hoiuse is having insulation blown into the wall cavities (currently the house is not insulated, yes its costing a lot to heat it lol) and they need to drill large holes in the walls which will then be patched by my plasterers, then we can paint

i am friends with a few contractors and one of them is coming over this weekend to start installing doors from the large family room to the pool deck area which will make a huge difference to the house, currently the flow sucks and its a pitb to get the outside pool area

i'll post more pics soon
    Last edited by buzztt; 01-26-2011 at 04:59 PM.

2. #2 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    the other living room is in great shape too, just needs a coat of paint

n
    glad to see one room is done
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

3. #3 Default  
    Unbelievable project, can't wait to see the progress!

4. #4 Default  
    Excellent thread, looking forward to the rest. I've helped my parents as they slowly redid the house as a kid (built in the 1860's), so i love seeing the transformations.

Are you really going to put something in to fill the fireplace? I think it would look good open with just some detractive 'log holders' for lack of the official term. The ceiling in the second living room is awesome.

5. #5 Default  
    This should be an epic thread... very interested to watch the progress
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

6. #6 Default  
    Next step: rent snowzilla from the MBTA and thaw out your yard for horse hunting.

7. #7 Default  
    The rooms that are finished look great and you have long way to go on the rest.

What are you going to do with that insert? Looks to be a Vermont Casting or
    Jotul both of which are still desirable. If its just going to end up in a dumpster and depending on where you are I would come and get it, or if you want to deal with it get me some info on it and I can give you a price and you can sell it on craigslist.

Edit: Just noticed love the wide pine flooring and the built it cabinets as well. Are both orignal to the house? Any exterior pics of the place?
    Last edited by MidNight Powder Coating; 01-26-2011 at 05:51 PM.

8. #8 Default  
    cant wait to see finished house

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by splatt View Post
    Next step: rent snowzilla from the MBTA and thaw out your yard for horse hunting.
    win.

Quote Originally Posted by MidNight Powder Coating View Post
    The rooms that are finished look great and you have long way to go on the rest.

What are you going to do with that insert? Looks to be a Vermont Casting or
    Jotul both of which are still desirable. If its just going to end up in a dumpster and depending on where you are I would come and get it, or if you want to deal with it get me some info on it and I can give you a price and you can sell it on craigslist.

Edit: Just noticed love the wide pine flooring and the built it cabinets as well. Are both orignal to the house? Any exterior pics of the place?
    I thought he meant the white tile border, not the stove?

10. #10 Default  
    win.

I thought he meant the white tile border, not the stove?
    You might be right when he said insert I automatically think stove. To me tile is the surround.

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    the previous owner invested a lot of money in the kitchen and heating so those are all set, the upgrades needed are new windows (i have a good source ) electrical, changing it from 9 bedrooms to 5 suites, landscaping, changing one of the barns to a 2 car garage (making a total of 5 bays)
    yes yes & yes!

'94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~

12. #12 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MidNight Powder Coating View Post
    You might be right when he said insert I automatically think stove. To me tile is the surround.
    i am starting to like the tile surround a bit so i might keep it, the stove/burner/fire insert thing is what needs to go, they make some nice black ones with cleaner lines that will be larger and fill up the opening better, plus they will take bigger logs, the white one isnt great for big fires, will only take 2 logs max

Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    glad to see one room is done
    the kitchen is now done too, and the bedroom we are using as a master suite is finished...for now anyway

the chimney inspection was very positive, much much better than i had thought, i had expected none of the fireplaces to be usable and in need of a lot of work to get them up to scratch/safe/useable, i really only care about the fireplaces in the 2 living rooms, family room and the dining room and it sounds like they are in good shape and need minimal work to be able to be used for big huge roaring fires ftmfw, will get the quote for the work tomorrow...big fires are a definate priority

edit. kitchen was completely re-done a few years ago, previous owner spent a ton of money, trying to make it look right for the house and succeeded, they used custom cherry cabinets, reclaimed wide plank flooring, amazing brickwork surounding a kick ass wolf range, they really did a great job

and as soon as hell freezes over we will start on a suite for snowflake
    Last edited by buzztt; 01-26-2011 at 06:46 PM.

13. #13 Default  
    Snowflake suite boooyaaa I can see it now ... A mini fridge filled with juiceboxes and a bed that vibrates when you stick a qtr in it .... Giggityyyyy

14. #14 Default lilac farm build thread 
    Blog Entries
    When do you need me to come demo?
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

15. #15 Default  
    i have people doing the demo for me, its pretty crappy, old horsehair plaster is miserable to demo, dust everywhere

16. #16 Default  

Team ramrod!!!

Can't wait to see the progress. Let me know if you need any help with anything stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    you have issues.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post

Team ramrod!!!

Can't wait to see the progress. Let me know if you need any help with anything stephen
    thank you

chicken fucker

18. #18 Default  
    looks really good!
    keep them coming
    Porsche 991 GT3
    Green/ Black Iridescent
    HRE P101-IPE Catless Exhaust- Techart Steering Wheel-991R/ Classic Livery- Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

19. #19 Default  
    Nice had a feeling you've been busy. If you're looking for a break tomorrow we will be modding Benz a little and an undisclosed location.
    Father of Phiff

20. #20 Default lilac farm build thread 
    Blog Entries
    What time should we be at the body shop? Lolz
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast
Thread Information