Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Excise Tax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Excise Tax 
    I got my excise tax bills today from the city of Peabody. Just a little over $900 this year for my 4 registrations. This seems to be quite a bit higher this year then in years past. I'm wondering if Peabody changed their rules or the way in which they establish this magical figure. I'm also curious if this figure is higher, or lower, depending on the type of community you live in, and what that's based on, and how it's established. I'm also curious as to where the money goes. (I assume things like snow removal budget, etc.) I also don't understand how they value the vehicles, because they're about 25% of what they should be across the board. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excise has a limited amount of information on this topic, but if anyone here wants to chime in and share some of their knowledge with me, or simply bitch about how much worse there bill is than mine, it would make me feel better.

Thanks,
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2006 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2002 Porsche 996TT

2. #2 Default  
    It's just the towns way of making money off of you for driving in that town/city.

My cars are registered in Bridgewater, a town with not a very high excise tax rate.

Don't like it? Talk to your city clerk and city counselors about it.

Personally, i feel it's double taxation, as you already have to pay sales tax, getting whacked with an excise tax bill sucks.

Luckily for me I've never paid over $100 for it

3. #3 Default  
    i thought they adjust the rates each year base on how much the town needs to cover for its spending. In another words if the town need more money you will be tax more, or if the town has everything it needs to cover for the up coming years budget then it will be less.

i know i learned something like that this from a city development class when i was in school a couple of years ago. But I cant remember how much of that is true for a particular town/city.
    Oh Yeah!

4. #4 Default  
    It never drops below 25% of the towns "valuation" of your vehicle. Supposedly it goes towards roads & maintenance of them. It is double-taxation and it's bullshit.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

5. #5 Default  
    fucking bullshit

6. #6 Default  
    I thought Romney almost did away with it ...

At least in MA the tax is low on older school high dollar cars. In NH, they base it off the new MSRP, so while it declines in the first 5 years after it was produced, it stays there. For instance, a $65,000 flagship sedan from the 80s or 90s will still cost $200 in excise per year. In MA, the same car would drop well below 100, maybe 50-75 tops IIRC

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    Personally, i feel it's double taxation, as you already have to pay sales tax, getting whacked with an excise tax bill sucks.
    more like triple taxation.. the salary you used to buy the car was already taxed also.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    more like triple taxation.. the salary you used to buy the car was already taxed also.
    F the MAN... one of the benefits of living in NY was the lack of excise tax. It seriously is one of the most bullshit taxes there is. Fortunately for me I just got the bill for the 2 e30s and the Jeep for a grand total $95... When the realize I have the RS4 I can only imagine.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

9. #9 Default  
    You're right!

The MAN is really fkn us here Mike

10. #10 Default  
    their taxing the tax thats been taxed

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

12. #12 Default  
    Woburn fucking sucks, $25 for each $1000 They appraise your vehicle to be worth. I WISH I could sell my car for what they think it's worth
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

13. #13 Default  
    they should change it to a flat tax, i dont see why the cost of your car should matter
    just another way to take our money
    ///

14. #14 Default  
    What if you don't pay it ? I read that you won't be able to register the car again until you pay it...but I'm not registering the car again, it's going to be shipped out of the US in may

15. #15 Default  
    Unpaid excise eventually leads to some kind of a "warrant" being issued . I once bought a car in late December, and they issued me a bill for a few dollars; I never got the bill and paid the year as of Jan1. Years later those few dollars had grown to almost 100 bucks, all bullshit fees and penalties. Not worth getting pulled over for and questioned, which happened after I had moved out of MA.

If you are a foreign student, you will not be bothered once you leave the US :D and without a US social security number, they won't trace it. I know it is not hard for the euros to get new license numbers if they ever come back to the US

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscreetYuppie View Post
    Unpaid excise eventually leads to some kind of a "warrant" being issued . I once bought a car in late December, and they issued me a bill for a few dollars; I never got the bill and paid the year as of Jan1. Years later those few dollars had grown to almost 100 bucks, all bullshit fees and penalties. Not worth getting pulled over for and questioned, which happened after I had moved out of MA.

If you are a foreign student, you will not be bothered once you leave the US :D and without a US social security number, they won't trace it. I know it is not hard for the euros to get new license numbers if they ever come back to the US
    haha I'm sure it will pop up somewhere when I return the plates to the RMV and do the paperwork to ship the car out of the country. I feel if I don't pay, it will come back to haunt me somehow...just like how I can pay $199 for an iphone 4 with a 2 year contract with ATT, and then just leave the country in may

17. #17 Default  
    Excise tax is state set at $25 per $1000 of valuation. Value is stated on the bill for each vehicle. Excise tax needs to be paid for every vehicle owned (whether registered or not which is bullshit). The warrant that is issued for non-payment is a warrant to collect which prevents re-registration or renewal of licence. You CANNOT be arrested for this. It's not a judges warrant.

To the op: If you have $900 in excise tax, you have $36000 worth of vehicles. You said 4, so that makes $9k each. Does that sound right?

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by RAW0330 View Post

To the op: If you have $900 in excise tax, you have $36000 worth of vehicles. You said 4, so that makes $9k each. Does that sound right?
    No, the math is still fuzzy. If you add up all their valuations on my vehicles, it comes out to less then $30K. The actual street price of all the vehicles I own combined is probably around $80-90K.

Example, my Porsche and Mercedes are extremely under valued, but my Suburban is over valued. I also have a trailer, which they valued at $100. The excise bill for that one is $5.

There's also a note on the bill about how failure to pay can result in 12% interest.

Can I deduct any of this that I paid in early 2010 on my FY10 tax return?
    Samuel C. Lurie - Owner/President
    The Beantown Sound - Professional Disc Jockey Services
    -----------------------------
    2011 Ford E350 Quigley 4x4
    2006 Mercedes S65-AMG
    2002 Porsche 996TT

19. #19 Default  
    Yeah, you can deduct taxes paid in the prior year on yor taxes.
    So... the taxes you paid last year can be deducted on your current taxes.
    I thought taxes were $25/1k for any valuation over $2500?
    I'll have to check when I get mine from the city.

20. #20 Default  
    The value is based of the MSRP when the car was new and all cars follow the same depreciation schedule down to a lower limit of 10% after 5 years. So I've been paying the same $116.50/yr for my supra for the last 10 years.

And yes it is $25 per 1k state wide, no difference town to town, and I do deduct my excise taxes on my tax returns every year.
    Last edited by Josh S; 02-05-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information