Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Help with a diagnosis

1. #1 Default Help with a diagnosis 
    The girlfriend's car started making a weird noise, and i'm trying to help her save a little money if i can (PhD student's don't get paid much at all). Trying to check if my diagnosis makes sense. It's making a noise, almost sounds similar to a train horn in quality and sound, but obviously much quieter. The part that throws me is when it comes about. You step on the gas, there is about a 2 second delay, then it starts. get off the gas and it stops about 2 seconds later. Tone doesn't change based on engine RPM, and it gets louder the more you push the gas.

Based on this (and mostly the fact that the tone/pitch never changes), i'm thinking something with the vacuum system. Trouble is i can't pinpoint location in the engine bay, it doesn't appear louder in any corner than the other. Does it sound like i'm on track thinking it's a vacuum issue? Car drives normally, no changes in power levels (not that it has any), brake performance, or anything else i could detect driving it.

Car is a 2006 Nissan Sentra 1.8.
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    you are definitely one seriously dedicated, possibly certifiable individual
    Motorcycles - KZ400 Cafe Build, XS500 Build

2. #2 Default  
    fuel pump on the way out?

3. #3 Default  
    god i hope not. car has less than 20k miles on it.

edit: sound is defiantly from the engine bay
    Futility Motorsport - 1989 Dodge Daytona Shelby (dead), Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon, BMW 313rx

4. #4 Default  
    she have any problems starting the car?

any problems with idle?

5. #5 Default  
    no real issues starting. sometimes more hesitant in cold, but nothing that would be considered abnormal for any car.

Didn't notice any issues with idle this weekend when driving it around. seemed just fine.

6. #6 Default  
    Sounds like an issue our cars had on occasion. We called it "moosing" cause it sounds like a moose call. It also can sound like a loud pigeon. It would do this on cold or cool mornings only. So it really only would happen around this time of year and the beginning of Fall.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showth...ottle-Hang-Fix
    Last edited by LastMercury; 02-14-2011 at 06:45 AM.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

7. #7 Default  
    Hmm, i'll read up on it a little more, but i'm not sure this is the same. Sounds like the "moosing" noise occurs at idle? This requires throttle input to happen. Doesn't seem like throttle hang, there is no lag or issues with throttle input. engine revs up and falls off exactly as it should with peddle input. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll do more reading and see if it might be a similar issue.

I'm not overly worried that this is a car damaging issue, just trying to fix it because she gets really worried about anything not right with the car.

8. #8 Default Help with a diagnosis 
    Blog Entries
    Get your hands on a smoke machine and see if you can find a leak... My mother's Acura does the same
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    Hmm, i'll read up on it a little more, but i'm not sure this is the same. Sounds like the "moosing" noise occurs at idle? This requires throttle input to happen. Doesn't seem like throttle hang, there is no lag or issues with throttle input. engine revs up and falls off exactly as it should with peddle input. Thanks for the suggestion though, i'll do more reading and see if it might be a similar issue.

I'm not overly worried that this is a car damaging issue, just trying to fix it because she gets really worried about anything not right with the car.
    It happens when driving too.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

10. #10 Default  
    20k miles... Warranty?

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by nperkins View Post
    20k miles... Warranty?
    Nope. Purchased used, and we think it was a rental car before that.

Noise wasn't there yesterday, so i'm thinking it might be similar to the issue LastMercury reported.

12. #12 Default  
    Does it sound like this:

13. #13 Default  
    not 100%, but similar. It doesn't fluctuate in pitch like that does, instead stays a solid steady pitch. It also doesn't happen as quick. At a stand still you need to rev to about 2k, and after 3-5seconds it will start. When you let off the gas it will subside after about 2 seconds.

I've told her to keep track of when it does it this week. If it's still going on this weekend i'll try and record it.

14. #14 Default  
    It shouldn't matter whether or not you bought it used. If the car is less than three years old it should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty...
    Ed
    2007 Subaru WRX - Stage 2

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cegan09 View Post
    not 100%, but similar. It doesn't fluctuate in pitch like that does, instead stays a solid steady pitch. It also doesn't happen as quick. At a stand still you need to rev to about 2k, and after 3-5seconds it will start. When you let off the gas it will subside after about 2 seconds.

I've told her to keep track of when it does it this week. If it's still going on this weekend i'll try and record it.
    Post a vid so we can hear it. After this last description it sounds like it could be a pump/bearing that's howling a bit. Though usually that would change with RPM. But if it's a vibration then it could just make the sound and then subside once it's back to idle. I've seen these mystery sounds last for a long time before anything happens if it ever does. How long has it been going on for?
    2016 Charger & 1972 Nova SS

16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by ETacv View Post
    It shouldn't matter whether or not you bought it used. If the car is less than three years old it should be covered under the manufacturer's warranty...
    It's a 2006 according to first post.

17. #17 Default  
    If the sound persists through this week i'll get a recording. Car is in waltham, and i'm in nashua. She claims it didn't do it yesterday, so we'll see what it does today.

and yes, car is an 06, so outside warranty period if it had any.

18. #18 Default  
    Bring it down to the dyno and we can listen for the sound while its on the rollers. I have no problem helping you find the noise. It will save you money in the long run by doing it yourself then bringing it to a shop that might screw you with unnecessary work.
    -Brian C.
    2003 Evolution 8

Thread Information