Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Front end is loosy-goosey...

1. #1 Exclamation Front end is loosy-goosey... 
    So last week I finally got around to installing lower control arms because my ball joints were gone. I also had one wheel bearing pressed in back in October before storing it. Car has sat all Winter and today was the first time I took it around the block to see how it drove.

It feels like the car is on ice. The steering wheel is just all over the place when going over a bump and it's gone from having good, tight feedback to almost nothing.

I haven't had an alignement yet and I'm wondering if that's part of the issue. Lifting the front end and checking the wheels for movement yields nothing. Tight as a drum. I'm getting a groaning noise and can hear my rotor scraping the pad on a right hand turn which one would lead to believe is the drivers wheel bearing. But that was the one I replaced. I'm wondering if the guy who pressed it in screwed up.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

2. #2 Default  
    have you check your shocks/struts?

3. #3 Default  
    I haven't inspected them closely but they're Koni's w/GC's and relatively new. Probably ~5,000k on em.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

4. #4 Default  
    Check the bolts on shocks and struts. Also on all bushings makes sure bolts were fully tightened. Is there any side to side play, could be tie rods.

Mainly i would check to make sure everything is tightened down fully. Sounds like a loose bolt on a bushing thats moving back and forth as you steer.

You could check the wheel bearing and see if the CV joint is moving side to side inside of it.
    STI sedan with shocker sticker

5. #5 Default  
    Check tire pressures.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

6. #6 Default  
    I'll give everything another once over. If it's worth mentioning the rest of the suspension wasn't touched when I replaced the control arm. Just 2 bolts on the subframe and a 3rd to drop it out of the knuckle. I used my impact wrench to get it on/off.

Everything on the front end has 26k/mi or less on it. When I had it out for the atx to mtx swap I replaced everything attached. When I put it away for the Winter it didn't have this symptom and this is the only thing I've changed.

Thanks.

7. #7 Default  
    didn't read the thread but get a new girlfriend
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    didn't read the thread but get a new girlfriend
    Switch to the backend

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

9. #9 Default  
    So it looks like the wheel bearing I had replaced before storing it was improperly installed. I dunno what the guy did but he messed up both the bearing AND hub when pressing it.

So I have to replace the knuckle for safety sake. Hub because it's gouged and won't seat my hubcentric ring properly, and, of course, the bearing. I already had my rotors resurfaced because they were scored and $100 in brake pads need to be replaced due to the rotor cutting it up.

All because this fuck couldn't press a $30 bearing in correctly.

10. #10 Default  
    Finally got it all installed. The last shop installed the bearing bak-ards and apparently that changes the driving characteristics greatly.

Feels tight as a drum again. Just need to set up an alignment now.

Thread Information