Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Tequila - the good, the bad, the ugly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Tequila - the good, the bad, the ugly 
    Seeing as how there is a Scotch thread on here I figured we could have a Tequila one as well.

I have been drinking Tequila for the past 4 or 5 years. Unfortunately because of how small and new the fine Tequila surge is many brands are hard to come by. Most of the best stuff can be had fairly easily through California. Problem is you have to know someone in California.

As a side note I should mention that I prefer almost all alcohol very cold as I feel it still allows you to taste much of the flavors, but masks much of the often rubbing alcohol tinge. Some will poo poo this but to each their own.

So without further ado here is the list of Tequilas I can think of that I have had and liked. Some may have a little blurb about them, others may not.

And for those who care http://www.tequila.net/ is a great resource.

Patron

Silver – The one that starter it all. You can find it in almost any bar these days. It is decent for a silver and much better cold than warm. Is great in drinks as its better than Jose Cuervo (last time I hope to see that brand mention other than to say it’s terrible, also most are mezcal), and can be obtained almost anywhere.

Reposado – You have to start somewhere. Also not good, but not bad by any means

Anejo – My favorite normal Patron offering. It is decent and drinkable. But I prefer many others.

Gran Patron Platinum – This is basically an ultra Silver, which is nothing more than a rename of Blanco. It is however the smoothest and best tasting “silver” I have had. Not cheap but it is great caliber and drinkable on its own no problem.

Milagro

Silver – Cheaper and better than Patron. I like the flavor of even the basic silver more. Almost always have it around for drinks

Reposado – a good well rounded Reposado. If you are just starting out if is a good brand to start with.

Anejo – I like their Anejo the best, again for their normal offerings. Lots of flavor, quite smooth for the price.

Select Barrel Reserve – I don’t think the Silver is that much better than their standard offering, so not worth the extra coin. However, both the Rep. and Anejo are very quality tequilas. For the extra money they are about as good as you can find without diving too much into technical stuff that true lovers can only understand. Worth the $100 in my opinion, plus you get a sweet bottle.

Corzo

All three I think are “OK”. Sure they are better than Patron but they all seem to finish with a very sweet aftertaste, and I personally do not like it. It is a bigger name and you can usually find it in better bars as well. It’s not bad, I just don’t like the sweetness.

You cannot go wrong with anything from them. They are much harder to come by but if you see it…GET IT. They have a bunch of offerings and they are regularly rated extremely well. I have my brought in from Cali every now and then so I always have something on hand. I don’t drink silver very often and find them to be very similar from quality brands so that may be a waste since the Milagro silver is good and cheap. This is my favorite for sure.

Clase Azul Tequila Reposado – For a Rep. this is very dark and has tons of flavor. At times if I am not in the mood it can be too much. They also make an Extra Anejo that I have not had and would assume it to be insanely dark and rich.

Don Julio

Reposado – This is the tequila that kicked off our mild obsession. It was something that my girlfriends brother had long ago and thought it would be good to try it again. Man did we hate it. It was way too strong for us at the time and just tasted bad. Since then we have only tried it again recently. I still don’t like it very much but can agree it is better than your average tequila brands.

Most of these brands have a premium model as well. Like the Milagro Select Barrel Reserve, Don Julio has the 1942 and REAL. I would suggest to anyone that they first try the regular selections before spending the extra money on the premiums.

So that is my list for now. I have others I am looking into and will update this when I have tried them.
    2005 Porsche Carrera S w/ Sport Chrono

2. #2 Default  
    nice write up!

now if we had some vodka gurus on the forum
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Intheflesh View Post
    nice write up!

now if we had some vodka gurus on the forum
    Actually I drink a lot of that as well...

4. #4 Default  
    ive been working on a bottle of luksusowa the last few months.

never 'drank' tequila... sans those ill-advised shots at 2 in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

5. #5 Default  
    I can drink Patron silver better than any other shots. Of course i dont remember the night very well but for some reason my body allows that shot better than alot of others.

no way i can sip it lol

6. #6 Default Tequila - the good, the bad, the ugly 
    Blog Entries
    Since a bad night in college and then a trip to cabo, 3 shots is my limit on Tequila... I can't be responsible for what comes up as a result of 4 or more shots
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

7. #7 Default Tequila - the good, the bad, the ugly 
    Patron silver, ice shaken. That cuervo or whatever sucks.

8. #8 Default  
    Patron is just the go to cause its what broke the scene. Most bars will carry Corzo as well if they are a bit classier. I would suggest that anyone who likes Patron Silver also try the Corzo.

9. #9 Default  
    shots of patron do not play nice with me but i still take the shots

10. #10 Default  
    Johnny, I can talk vodka all day long!

As for Tequila, I can only do it in moderation. Ie, in a margarita while on a beach.

Don't do shots in general, as my stomach always replies "oh no you di-int" and throws it back at my mouth

11. #11 Default  
    lost 12 hours of my life while drunk on tequila, later found out i did some crazy shit, dont touch the stuff anymore

12. #12 Default  
    Odd that a lot of people have the "dont touch it anymore because...". I have heard that before as well. Although we may do shots of anything from Patron to 1921 it is usually not combined with other drinking so it never gets out of control.

They really are great to just drink if you get a good one.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris! View Post
    As for Tequila, I can only do it in moderation. Ie, in a margarita while on a beach.
    Ah the margarita. For sooo many years they were made with terrible ingrediants and put in a blender with ice.

The best you will ever find will be a simple mix of tequila, Cointreau, and fresh lime juice over ice...and thats it! They are deadly and have caused many a drunken night in my family (did I mention everyone LOVES to drink?).

14. #14 Default  
    Anybody have any good drink recipes with Patron Silver - I really don't do much Tequila drinking. I'm more of a vodka fan (could be the Russian in me too lol).
    Isabelle K.
    2005 Acura RSX-S
    1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    2003 Suzuki GSX-R600

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by isabelledc5 View Post
    Anybody have any good drink recipes with Patron Silver - I really don't do much Tequila drinking. I'm more of a vodka fan (could be the Russian in me too lol).
    If you go to the Patron website they give you lots of drinks for every type.

16. #16 Default  
    agreed with the patron is a bit better than cuervo, shots of patron my fav I found 1800 silver is very good as well

17. #17 Default  
    I HATE Milagro... I gotta say one of my favorite tequilas is Corazon silver.. I do like Patron repasado too...

18. #18 Default  
    I was quite a tequila aficionado until my last and most severe incident in a long series of incidents. (Mexican jail sucks)

I have to disagree on the Corzo. IMHO, it's quite crap. If they spent as much time on the tequila as they did on the bottle, it would have been much better.

I did very much enjoy milagro silver, but the reposado and anejo variants didn't seem up to the competition.

Patron is very good. Unfortunately I couldn't drink it any more after it became a constant mention in shitty rap/pop/r&b songs.

My favorite Reposado is Herradura. I'd put it up there with a lot more expensive bottles. It goes on sale at Kappys often, and you can find a bottle for ~$35 when it does.

Cuervo. Is. Garbage. Seriously, it's the worst tequila I have ever endured. Put it up against any no-name cheap handle bottle brand and the store brand will win every time. It's even too shitty to subject to the blender.

Monte Alban Mezcal is certainly not as refined as any Tequila (that's why it's sold as Mezcal instead of Tequila). It's not the type of drink you can sip and enjoy - but if you're looking for an interesting night, emptying a bottle of this stuff will get you there. I usually end up arguing with deceased friends and relatives when Mezcal is involved. Good times.

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

19. #19 Default  
    I haaaaaaate tequila. I hate the taste and it usually sends me to the floor.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

20. #20 Default  
    Good post. I recently tried Milagro and have become a fan. Better than patron. I will have to look for Corzo.
    Father of Phiff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information