Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: General stock market discussion

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default General stock market discussion 
    Figured I'd start a new thread not about day trading and not about penny stocks. Just a general thread.

Side note. Two weeks ago bought shares of GE. of course they are the company that make the generators for the nuclear plant in japan. Stock is falling :-/ gesh figured id be ok buying a good american stock. Who figured an earthquake would make such a mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris!
    Guest+1 needs no introduction
    2012 KIA sportage LX w/ convenience package. Freaking awesome.

2. #2 Default  
    Hang tight, its a good company.

3. #3 Default  
    Buy more while they are low, that company will always go up. They are so diverse.
    Matt

4. #4 Default  
    I was planning on shorting whatever company made them....unfortunately I got lazy and forgot about it

5. #5 Default  
    you should think about what the contribution margin is of their business line that makes the generators. I doubt it will be a significant size. That will tell you if it is an emotional or rational valuation change.

6. #6 Default  
    thinking of buying toyota for long term hold

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken's pew pew View Post
    you should think about what the contribution margin is of their business line that makes the generators. I doubt it will be a significant size. That will tell you if it is an emotional or rational valuation change.
    I really think it's an emotional change.....but hey, I could be wrong.

8. #8 Default  
    that is my point and hypothesis. I am not a trader, brokerage client advisor or equities analyst so take my words with a grain of salt. Purely personal opinion and logic.

9. #9 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken's pew pew View Post
    that is my point and hypothesis. I am not a trader, not a brokerage client advisor, equities analyst or financial planner so take my words with a grain of salt. Purely personal opinion and logic.
    Oh no, I understand

10. #10 Default  
    My main holdings are DuPont, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Apple, and GE. I'm considering buying 1k shares of Ford for a medium-long term hold, using money from a sale of some Apple.

11. #11 Default  
    My main stocks are boeing, GE, home depot, lowes, target, walmart. I have a few others that I dobt plan on holding long term. A couple medical companies and a jewelry company. Just riding it out the next few weeks. Hopefully boeing and GE bounce back. And home depot, lowes target and walmart are where everyone brings their tax returns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris!
    Guest+1 needs no introduction
    2012 KIA sportage LX w/ convenience package. Freaking awesome.

12. #12 Default  
    My mainstay holdings are Procter and Gamble, ConocoPhillips and Philip Morris International (I'll be adding Coca-Cola to the list in a few days). I own all of them in a DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment Program) so I get compounding interest over the next decade. These are my easy, defensive names that slowly accumulate wealth. I trade a bit and buy and sell some other speculative names more frequently but that's not my core.

13. #13 Default  
    looks good so far

14. #14 Default  
    This Japan crisis is really killing everything. One of the pharmaceutical companies I have shares in was granted two patents for the drug they are at phase 2 with yesterday and it didn't move up at all
    Quote Originally Posted by kevblah View Post
    i love that scope
    Kev: Who the Fuck would buy a P226 in 9mm ME: Ummm the Navy Seals? Kev: yeah well what do they know?
    Retired Professional Troll

15. #15 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    This Japan crisis is really killing everything. One of the pharmaceutical companies I have shares in was granted two patents for the drug they are at phase 2 with yesterday and it didn't move up at all
    I thought on drugs FDA approval was the mover on it not patents

16. #16 Default  
    The Japan market would not affect a bio-med company if they were solid. Yea you would see red like on yesterday but they can still move out of the footsteps of the major indicies.

FDA approval is the big mover like mentioned. Patents dont hurt but they dont really rocket them like an FDA does.

17. #17 Default  
    Since this isn't a day trading related post, thought I'd post in here.

Anyways, after holding on the BLDP for over a year and watching it sink of 50%, it is finally up 10%. Nothing too impressive, but at least I'm making a bit of money off of them.

Edit: Scratch that, it's now only a ~4% gain

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    One of the pharmaceutical companies I have shares in was granted two patents for the drug they are at phase 2 with yesterday and it didn't move up at all
    MRK or BMY?
    Those two have some impressive stuff coming up. BMY just got approved by the FDA for a skin cancer drug that is supposed to be better then the rest by a lot; potential of $1billion of sales a year.

I don't day trade so all stocks I buy are for 12 months or longer.

I went on a buying spree last week:
    PANL - Just went public and has gone up 20% since. They make flexible LED screens that don't require a backlight.
    T - AT&T is talking about buying T-Mobile
    S - ^^ (positive thing for both companies)
    BMY - See above
    ECTY - Bought more of it at a lower price. They are getting more and more contracts every week for millions. Electric car chargers.

My favorite stocks that I've had for a while:
    GE, AAPL, KO (Coke), and GES

In total I own stocks in 21 companies, I have around 6 mutual funds, some invested in Money Markets, and some put away in CDs/Bonds for retirement.

19. #19 Default  
    Placed a buy order on BMY for $27 earlier today.

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827 View Post
    Placed a buy order on BMY for $27 earlier today.
    I'm sure you'll get that buy today or tomorrow; at $27.07 right now

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information