Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Wine reviews

1. #1 Default Wine reviews 
    Just finished a bottle of Pinot noir Greg Norman 2008 from California. Liked it at first then after continued drinking not a fan.

What wines do people here drink? Red or white?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris!
    Guest+1 needs no introduction
    2012 KIA sportage LX w/ convenience package. Freaking awesome.

2. #2 Default  
    you are drunk off this bottle might i say

3. #3 Default  
    try Pinot noir Penner Ash 2008.

4. #4 Default  
    I have a long list of favorites but here are some tips:

1) Cakebread is awesome - red, white, any year, any mix, any time, any where
    2) Pinot Noir - New Zealand has the best location in the world for growing these grapes (they're a bitch to grow) and if you can find a bottle from Marlborough, NZ that's even better.
    3) "I am NOT drinking any fucking Merlot!" -> Watch the movie Sideways if you haven't seen it
    4) Your nose is a HUGE part of tasting wine. Before taking your first sip, stick your nose completely in the glass and take a full slow breath. Enough practice and you'll be able to taste a good wine vs a bad wine just from the smell (yes, I said "taste")
    4.5) Always be breathing in (slowly) while drinking your wine; your sense of smell will really bring out more flavor
    5) Most wines need to breath for 15 minutes before being consumed; put some in each glass and leave the bottle open (swirling your wine in the glass helps; in case you were wondering why people do that)

5. #5 Default  
    personally i really like sonoma (california) for pinot, zins and cabs

'not another fucking merlot' lol, bottle shock is another good film (especially if you like wine)

i like to open my red wines at least an hour before i drink them, decanting in a proper wine decanter is always nice

wine does not always get better with age, wine has a best by date, every wine is different, a good resource (especially if you collect) is cellartracker, you can input your collection online and it will tell you the best time to drink it, this is very important as you dont want to spend money on a nice bottle, keep it for 3 years and then find out its past its prime

temperature and storage is important, you dont need to be too worried about keeping the exact temperature but you dont want to leave it in direct sunlight with big temperature changes, try not to move it arround too much either

dont be overly concerned with price, just because its expensive doesnt mean its good, personally i think opus is overpriced grape juice but some people will argue its the best wine in the world, i have found some very nice cheap wine from smaller wineries that is far superior and has more character than the big wineries, wine is pretty simple, it doesnt need to be overly complicated, you dont need to be all poncey and talk about smelling berries and all that crap, if you like the taste then thats all that matters, over time your palet will start to pick up on the various aromas of the wine

i have had a lot of luck picking wine based on the label, most of the time if the lable looked cool and little funky the wine has been pretty good

your first step is to find the grape you like (pinot, zin, cab etc) then you start figuring out which region you like, then the good and bad years, then the wineries you really like...then you visit the winery for tasting sessions, join their wine club and start buying it by the case which will get you nice extra discounts, it varies from 10-25% on average, most of them will now ship to MA which makes life a lot easier, shipping typically costs arround $50.00 a case.

6. #6 Default  
    buzztt makes some good points.

I want to quote these for truth and to emphasize the point

...just because its expensive doesnt mean its good...
    Some of my favorite wines are $15-$30 and at a restaurant sometimes I find one of my favorites for up to $80. I've tasted some wines that are very expensive, $600 for a glass or $2,000 for a bottle and the $25 bottles taste just as good.

...not always get better with age, wine has a best by date...
    This is something to keep in mind while shopping. Not all restaurants and shops may pay attention to the "best by date" of a wine since its not on the bottle and may take too much research for them. Older isn't better.
    In general, I believe, the "best by date" of a wine is usually about 12 months of time. Example: A bottle from '02 may be best drank at any time during 2012. I don't think a "best by date" is specific to a month/day.

buzztt, and anyone else interested. I highly suggest reading this book for entertainment at least. If you're a wine drinker then you'll like it even more.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...N87BGHST3981D9

7. #7 Default  
    When opening a bottle or getting one at a restaurant always check the cork.

Look at the inside end of the cork, if you see any discoloration (greenish) then it is probably "corked" (hard to see with red wines). You can still try the wine and if it is bitter then its bad. Restaurants will/should replace the bottle for free. This has only ever happened to me twice; once at a restaurant that replaced the bottle.
    Corks are natural products, and some microorganisms like to eat them. A wine is properly said to be corked when it has come in contact with a contaminated cork during the aging process.
    Also, look for a line of red/white from the inside end of the cork (hard to see with white wines). If it goes up the side of the cork then it could have bottled poorly and the wine might be bad.

8. #8 Default  
    some wines need years to get to their best, this is mainly with reds, i have some zins that i bought in 06 that were average when i first tasted them tasted like they woud devop nicely, but right now they are amazing (my cost was $38.00 per bottle, took a gamble and bought 4 cases, really glad i did)

white are usually good for a year, maybe 2, depends on the grape and various other things though

def take a look at cellar tracker if you have any wines and are unsure when the best time to drink them is, they are pretty accurate, obviously a wine doesnt suddenly go from average to amazing over night but they are pretty accurate at letting you know the best time to drink it and when it is getting past its prime...drinking $50.00 bottles of vinegar is not fun

i think a yr day out to a winery/tasting/tour would be a pretty good time

9. #9 Default  
    If any are interested, I know Plymouth Winery holds tastings and are avail. to schedule a private tasting. I personally don't know the details, and honestly am not interested, but it could be a good cruise/parking day.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

10. #10 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    i think a yr day out to a winery/tasting/tour would be a pretty good time
    Wine Tasting and Cruise?
    LOL

11. #11 Default  
    strike that. reverse it. In if to Plymouth.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

12. #12 Default  
    I'm not generally too big on wine in general, and usually prefer whites. However, I have to admit that I am madly, deeply in love with DeRose Vineyards Negrette. I haven't had the occasion to go out and try a variety of amazing wines, but a 2007 Negrette was the best bottle of wine I've had, with a 2008 pulling a close 2nd.

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by guest +1 View Post
    Just finished a bottle of Pinot noir Greg Norman 2008 from California.
    I personally like a number of Greg Norman wines, they're pretty good. As I mentioned above, Pinots are hard to make so even a good winery can really get that wrong.
    Try another Greg Norman (red) and you should enjoy it more.

Another one of my favorite wines (laugh if you want) is Fat Bastard.

14. #14 Default  
    agree on fat bastard, pretty nice for the price

i have also had some really nice 2 buck chuck from wholefoods, you'll often see people in the parking lot trying a bottle before going back in and buying a few cases (assuming its good) its a crap shoot, sometimes its junk sometimes its really pretty good

15. #15 Default  
    for the Merlot lovers I would try Cousino Macul.....really very good. The Cab is not bad either.

Thread Information