Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: MA Inspections Fail Help

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Default MA Inspections Fail Help 
    My car (2001.5 A4 1.8T) didn't pass Massachusetts inspection because their equipment could not communicate with the OBD computer. He was able to get proper voltage from the pins though. I don't think there's an issue with my OBD itself.

My car also failed before of Tint - which I'd rather not remove.

Can any one recommend an inspection station or registered emissions repair shop staffed by enthusiasts or qualified techs who can help?

Please feel free to PM me.

I'm in the greater Boston area.
    Last edited by phantomaudi; 10-19-2010 at 10:47 AM.

2. #2 Default  
    ur fucked with the OBD no way around it...tint some places will pass u
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO

3. #3 Default  
    Do you have access to a vag-com, if so are you able to communicate with it? Any after market flash/chip? Do you have a CEL?

I would be shocked if your car couldn't communicate through the ODBII port and still run.
    MKV GTI 2.0T APR Stage Eleventy-thousand+

4. #4 Default  
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but if you've failed inspection, MA actually makes you go back to the same inspection station to get a pass.. so you are pretty screwed unless you can fix the OBDII problem

Lotus_man's Esprit can't communicate with the MA OBDII readers as well.. I think he has to go to a special inspection station to get a sticker every year. However he has an excuse because I think his car is like that from the factory where yours is defective.

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    Forgive me if I'm wrong but if you've failed inspection, MA actually makes you go back to the same inspection station to get a pass.. so you are pretty screwed unless you can fix the OBDII problem
    kinda...they dont FORCE you. You can go back to the same one for no fee or pay the 35 or w/e dollars again elsewhere...did this first time I got inspected with the GTI...dude was a complete douchebag about it
    What Graffix said

6. #6 Default  
    Yeah if you fail you can go somewhere else and pay $29 again, but it's free at the same place.

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post

Lotus_man's Esprit can't communicate with the MA OBDII readers as well.. I think he has to go to a special inspection station to get a sticker every year. However he has an excuse because I think his car is like that from the factory where yours is defective.
    anyone know where this is ?

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    in the ghettttttttoooooooooooooooooooooo
    What Graffix said

9. #9 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post
    if you need an inspection place let me know... I got you covered... and its close to where you work...

As for OP... youre Effed... you will need to fix OBD2 comm problem
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
    in the ghettttttttoooooooooooooooooooooo
    PS if you dont know, please DO NOT LIST the names of "friendly" inspection stations... They are few and far between these days... only communicate them via PM to people you know
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #11 Default  
    i was being generic
    What Graffix said

12. #12 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
    i was being generic
    it wasnt at you... it was a general comment

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    it wasnt at you... it was a general comment
    ok I was confused by quote
    What Graffix said

14. #14 Default  
    OP do you have any kind of aftermarket ECU softwear running?? What OBD protocal does Audi use?

and on your windows go into the inspetion station with your windows down. Most wont ask or think to ask you to put them up to check.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

15. #15 Default If its gotta be fixed, then I'll get it fixed... 
    I'll get it fixed if I have to, but I'd like to have a competent shop check it out first. Any suggestions on a good yet student-affordable state registered emission repair shop?

Also, tips on tint friendly inspection shops are appreciated. I don't mind paying the $29 again if it means saving my tint.

And as I said in my original post, feel free to PM.

16. #16 Default  
    nope, no aftermarket ECU, no idea what protocol they have, but the guy at the inspection shop told me that he's had issues with audi's before. Apprently there is an exception for 2000 Audi A4's in the state's registry, but not for the '01, which is the exact same car.

17. #17 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
    Do you have access to a vag-com, if so are you able to communicate with it? Any after market flash/chip? Do you have a CEL?

I would be shocked if your car couldn't communicate through the ODBII port and still run.
    No, I don't have a Vag-com, but I just had it at the dealer's last week and they didn't have any problems. I've used a vag several times over the last 5 years and never had any problems with communication.

The only thing I can think is that the ABS control module is dead and that might be causing some kind of problem.

No CEL.

18. #18 Default  
    A waiver does exist for some oddball early obd2 cars. I.e. 1996 Mitsu VR4s are exempt, but their twin, the rare 96 Dodge Stealth TT has CEL issues.. Only 57 cars were made tho hehe

19. #19 Default  
    Do you have an aftermarket radio installed in your car? If you do, that is what is causing your communication problem with the obd2. Install a factory radio and try the inspection again.

20. #20 Default  
    You probably need to reset the readiness.

Last time I checked you only paid the $$$ upon receiving the sticker?
    Derek
    Audi S4 Status: Burning Everything
    Derek.Brusin@gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Thread Information