Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Tanabe Why U Rust?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Tanabe Why U Rust?!? 

So popped my hood yesterday to do some spring cleaning and found this:

now i gotta figure how to stop it. I can either try and dremel most of it off and cover it in rust oleum or i can try and find a sand blaster and the paint it in rust oleum

2. #2 Default  
    I'm guessing warranty won't cover rust? Never dealt with anything like this.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0827 View Post
    I'm guessing warranty won't cover rust? Never dealt with anything like this.
    not sure havent tried to contact tanabe yet. I had this thing for less than a year too

4. #4 Default  
    That's the northeast for you, the salt just eats away at everything. I'd try a dremel with some polish on it first as it looks to be just surface rust. If not I can most likely fix it with some high grit sandpaper and the polisher on my porting tools.

5. #5 Default  
    Like stated above its the salt around boston.. My car has salt spots on stuff i didn't even know could rust... lol

I will probably be doing some rust treating this weekend, its so much fun... POR-15
    Last edited by Jason; 04-08-2011 at 10:24 AM.

6. #6 Default  
    Well, if you ask me, it looks like a pretty generic strut bar sourced from Taiwan =) .. i bet Tanabe sent more time figuring out what logo sticker size would fit on it than the actual engineering of the bar itself

leave it the way it is... adds JDM character

7. #7 Default  
    Clean it best you can w/a wire wheel and hit it w/some rust reformer to stop it. Then sand that down and paint it.

I used that rust reformer on my steering knuckles and it works great.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

8. #8 Default  
    start new hood ride trend? rusted engine bay?

9. #9 Default  
    most of that looks like surface rust. I'd remove and polish by hand first. Simichrome is awesome, but expensive. Pete suggested some other stuff also. That will at least let you know how bad it really is.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

10. #10 Default  
    Blog Entries
    as already mentioned, take it off, clean it, then add some black rustoleum to keep it from rusting again
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    Well, if you ask me, it looks like a pretty generic strut bar sourced from Taiwan =) .. i bet Tanabe sent more time figuring out what logo sticker size would fit on it than the actual engineering of the bar itself

leave it the way it is... adds JDM character
    Spent some time under the Pcar this week on the exhaust. Had to order some replacement parts. Never even drove it in the winter.

12. #12 Default  
    I would just buy some stainless heim joints and hardware to replace the steel end. Will cost more but will look better and last longer.
    Matt

13. #13 Default  
    If you want to keep it adjustable, you probably don't want to paint the threads.

If you want to paint it anyway, make sure it's installed right first to make sure it's not going to need re-adjustment. Remove one of the end bolts, jack up the front of the car from the center so the wheels go to full droop, then adjust out the ends so the bolt holes line up. Then you can just paint the hardware (mask off the section of the mounting bolt that will have the nut threaded onto it).

In all, if you're worried about that amount of rust you may want to relocate. ;)

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

14. #14 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    If you want to keep it adjustable, you probably don't want to paint the threads.
    just use a good zinc based anti-seize paste on the threads and you wont have a problem with corrosion there.

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

15. #15 Default  
    Used the POR-15 on my car today... decided to rock a ghetto kick panel painted grey for a bit until I can get phil to paint it. That shit takes forever to dry, my buddy leaned against it and now I have to sand it and apply another coat tomorrow.. fml

16. #16 Default  
    Boy that kinda sucks. The JDM Tanabe and GAB bars from back in the day (10yr ago) used to have stainless hardware. They've cheesed out in modern times...

17. #17 Default  
    What most likely caused that is actually the oils from your hands when installing... The bolt/joint probably had some sort of oxide coating on them, and then when you installed it, the oils from your hands got on the parts, which allows it to rust... We use black oxide fasteners on our stuff at work, which is indoors, in controlled environments and they still rust sometimes...

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.b View Post
    This. I wouldn't paint it if I were you either. When I used to play golf, I used to have this Scotty Cameron putter that loved to rust. Most golfers used baby oil to keep it from rusting. You could try that.
    2008 Honda Civic Si Sedan
    1998 Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG
    1991 Honda CRX HF

19. #19 Default  
    might as well rust the hood now too...
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

20. #20 Default  
    might as well rust the hood now too...
    Its not a VW tho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast