Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: SSR Lip Replacement (ATTN WES)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1 Default SSR Lip Replacement (ATTN WES) 
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    So I found a set of SSR GT3s in Western MA, in 19x8.5 and 19x10. They're 2GS Lexus fitment and don't have the herrafrush offsets I want if I were to put them on my car. However if I could replace the lips with larger ones it would both make the wheel wider and lower my offset.
    I know SSR is out of business, but I still want to look into lip replacement as I think I can get these wheels for a bargain. I know Wes is getting pieces of his SSRs replaced from his accident, maybe he could shed some light on this for me.
    This is the SSR GT3 for reference:

    And these are the actual wheels:
    Reply With Quote  

  2. #2 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    16,732,482
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    So I found a set of SSR GT3s in Western MA, in 19x8.5 and 19x10. They're 2GS Lexus fitment and don't have the herrafrush offsets I want if I were to put them on my car. However if I could replace the lips with larger ones it would both make the wheel wider and lower my offset.
    I know SSR is out of business, but I still want to look into lip replacement as I think I can get these wheels for a bargain. I know Wes is getting pieces of his SSRs replaced from his accident, maybe he could shed some light on this for me.
    This is the SSR GT3 for reference:

    And these are the actual wheels:
    I was pretty sure the whole wheel got replaced? Doesnt Mike know some shop on the west coast who sell replacement lips?


    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with. Hooked on anything on 4 wheels.
    Reply With Quote  

  3. #3 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    Haven't talked to either of them about it which is why I started the thread.
    Reply With Quote  

  4. #4 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    Well it looks like tunershop.com makes custom lips for any wheel, problem is the ones I'd want are $306/ea. ffffuuuuu
    Reply With Quote  

  5. #5 Default  
    ssr is out of business? This is news to me
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO
    Reply With Quote  

  6. #6 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    Quote Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
    ssr is out of business? This is news to me
    Someone tells me Tanabe bought them apparently.
    Reply With Quote  

  7. #7 Default  
    in 2005 lolol
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO
    Reply With Quote  

  8. #8 Default  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quincy
    Posts
    5,865
    ssr is owned by tanabe but is not out of business, i would suggest talking ti kaizen since they are authorized ssr dealers and see if ssr can make u new barrels with a different lip to fit ur need

    edit: im getting full wheel replacement, also expect a month turn around due to the disaster over in japan
    Last edited by the.wong.kid; 04-29-2011 at 12:46 PM.
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos


    Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Reply With Quote  

  9. #9 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    Quote Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
    ssr is owned by tanabe but is not out of business, i would suggest talking ti kaizen since they are authorized ssr dealers and see if ssr can make u new barrels with a different lip to fit ur need

    edit: im getting full wheel replacement, also expect a month turn around due to the disaster over in japan
    Alrighty thanks, not going to bother I think then because it would cost an arm and a leg for new barrels.
    Reply With Quote  

  10. #10 Default  
    might as well get new wheels? lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO
    Reply With Quote  

  11. #11 Default  
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Quincy
    Posts
    5,865
    Quote Originally Posted by Graffix View Post
    might as well get new wheels? lol
    pretty much is
    '05 IS300
    '73 240Z
    Photos


    Quote Originally Posted by Philsans5
    Wes get your hands out of there!
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    spotted LFA in toilet, promptly flushed it
    Reply With Quote  

  12. #12 Default  
    Not sure about SSR but i know you can get custom barrels made from Work for their wheels. But for the price you pay your better off just getting another set of wheels.
    '94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~
    Reply With Quote  

  13. #13 Default  
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    4,007
    It took me like 3 months to get my wheels from SSR last summer. So I would expect something longer then 1 month for something custom.
    Matt
    Reply With Quote  

  14. #14 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cambridge,MA /Jeddah,K.S.A
    Posts
    6,350
    dunno if this is helpful
    but have you tried B.Gorman from the mercedes forums?
    He custom makes wheels for a good price I think
    He did this recently for an A5 and it looks amazing

    Reply With Quote  

  15. #15 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    I'm definitely going to pass on these they aren't worth the trouble.
    Reply With Quote  

  16. #16 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    I'm definitely going to pass on these they aren't worth the trouble.
    You sell your works yet?
    '94 Toyota Supra ~R.I.P~
    Reply With Quote  

  17. #17 Default  
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Maine aka Canada Jr.
    Posts
    882
    Quote Originally Posted by bader.abbas View Post
    dunno if this is helpful
    but have you tried B.Gorman from the mercedes forums?
    He custom makes wheels for a good price I think
    He did this recently for an A5 and it looks amazing


    Yeah bill does good work he's building me a set

    '08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.
    Reply With Quote  

  18. #18 Default  
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    plymouth
    Posts
    1,782
    i delt with ssr recently and everytime i called it said blah blah ssr wheels, tanabe and more japan...blah so still in business just under someone else guessing
    Reply With Quote  

  19. #19 Default  
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Your mom's basement
    Posts
    15,653
    Quote Originally Posted by TomieG View Post
    You sell your works yet?
    Nope nobody wants them apparently lol
    Reply With Quote  

  20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by the.wong.kid View Post
    ssr is owned by tanabe but is not out of business, i would suggest talking ti kaizen since they are authorized ssr dealers and see if ssr can make u new barrels with a different lip to fit ur need

    edit: im getting full wheel replacement, also expect a month turn around due to the disaster over in japan
    They wont make "new barrels"... Tom would need to send them the wheels(back to Japan) and they would disassemble and reassemble with new barrels and offsets... $$$ would not do
    Reply With Quote  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information
Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •