Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Inspection readiness

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Inspection readiness 
    This is not for my car, but for a friends. She has all her systems "ready" on the scanner, except one, which shows "not ready", and no CEL. I heard in Ma, you are allowed to have one "not ready" system and pass.....is this true? She has an R sticker now for a CEL from the past...but I fixed the issues with most of the codes, except the Cat....

2. #2 Default  
    It really depends what is not ready... if it is a non major system not a problem but if its something like a catalyst... it will flunk again

3. #3 Default  
    i have a similar q. i get a "check headlight adjustment" warning that is due to a faulty sensor. but the headlight functions as it should, and no CEL. would this cause problems w getting an inspection sticker?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    You.... have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    you have issues.

4. #4 Default  
    i have had the same problem for almost a year with my porsche after the dealer left the battry disconnected for 2 days, she needs to go through a drive cycle to re-set the readiness mode, there is no way arround it, i tried going to the adjudication center but all they did was give me the printout which shows the drive cycle for my car (which is almost impossible to do, i will probably have to rent a dyno) most cars drive cycles are fairly straightforward and a few days normal driving will do it

the only way to reset the readiness code is to go through the drive cycle (this is the case with porsche anyway) maybe you could wipe the ecu but i wasnt about to try that as my car is flashed

5. #5 Default  
    It's the cat system that is not ready, but the 02, evap, etc... are all ready...What is the worst that will happen since she already has a black R, just another one?

6. #6 Default  
    Well supposedly they will pull your registration if you can't pass after 60 days but they don't..

I think slayer down_shift had a reject for ~year and kept trying to get the right combo of readiness which he eventually did.. He's the expert at that now... hit him up lol.. but as he passed, next years was coming up and he had to do it all over again..

Just find a station that is friendly and willing to work with you to get it passed..

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by leemik View Post
    Well supposedly they will pull your registration if you can't pass after 60 days but they don't..

I think slayer down_shift had a reject for ~year and kept trying to get the right combo of readiness which he eventually did.. He's the expert at that now... hit him up lol.. but as he passed, next years was coming up and he had to do it all over again..

Just find a station that is friendly and willing to work with you to get it passed..
    useful info can be found here

http://www.vehicletest.state.ma.us/m...sions.html#mac

if anyone knows of a friendly station let me know, although i heard this is one of the few things that is really hard to get arround no matter how friendly the station is

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by buzztt View Post

if anyone knows of a friendly station let me know, although i heard this is one of the few things that is really hard to get arround no matter how friendly the station is
    PM me for one I've found in my town. No shop can pass you w/any CEL showing because the system will fail it. I had a coolant sensor w/a bad ground and he told me it wouldn't pass on the CEL alone. But I have 20% tint and my taillights blacked out and the car 3" off the ground and passed on that.
    '00 Mercury Cougar V6 5spd | '13 Ford Fusion SE 2.0l Ecoboost | My site: Skolenimation

9. #9 Default  
    for the record, not ready mode does not give any cels, most people dont know they are in not ready mode until they go to the testing station

10. #10 Default  
    by friendly station i mean plugging you in a few times to see if you are in the passing "window" after you drive around for a bit shutting stuff off and not being a hard ass..

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by MyEvoDream View Post
    It's the cat system that is not ready, but the 02, evap, etc... are all ready...What is the worst that will happen since she already has a black R, just another one?
    It will fail you and you will have to pay another $29 or whatever its up to now...

They will pull your registration for other failures but not for failing for not ready

If a car is not ready, its impossible to get around it... no matter how friendly the shop is... my M3 would occasionally go in to not ready mode for my Catalyst(because of the software/BMW recall) and wouldnt pass... I checked it frequently to make sure it was ready

for the record, not ready mode does not give any cels, most people dont know they are in not ready mode until they go to the testing station
    A station CAN check your rediness with out running the inspection

by friendly station i mean plugging you in a few times to see if you are in the passing "window" after you drive around for a bit shutting stuff off and not being a hard ass..
    If you guys ever have questions or want to check rediness, let me know, my dad's shop is a MA inspection bay, and can check readiness

12. #12 Default  
    You can force readiness with certain ECUs, dunno if hers is one of them.

13. #13 Default  
    A vehicle WILL pass inspection with one not ready, 2 or more is a turnaway. Reinspections are free within 60 days at the same station. Cel's automatically fail. The Headlight message is not a failure. If anyone has any questions about the system, I am a state inspector, and I have a simple portable plugin device that can read codes and readiness data if you're in my area.

I'm sorry to hear you suffer from Cranial-Rectal Inversion

Quote Originally Posted by jjm4life View Post
    Older cars just have more soul
    Quote Originally Posted by 55Fanatic View Post
    Can you imagine if we had 2 Rich's on this forum? oye

14. #14 Default  
    So the reason I started this thread was because I had heard 2 variations - 1) You can pass with 1 system not ready 2) you can pass only if ALL systems are ready...

RAW, I had heard that as well, which is why I was hoping it would pass...but..
    The result, she went yesterday and they just told her it would not pass because the cat was not ready, even though she had no CEL (which I was hoping she would pass with, so that way the cat doesnt need replacing) They didnt charge her or give her another R sticker, just told her that it wouldnt pass because of that.

15. #15 Default  
    Blog Entries
    A car pre 99 will pass with 2 non primary obd2 failures or up to 2 non primary not ready codes. Post 99 the limit is 1. A catalyst is primary so it will fail every time. I went through all of this with my M3 at my dad's garage. A lot of software will make the cat software Not Ready so the light doesn't come on but makes it so it fails inspection so cars aren't running around without catalytic converters

Quote Originally Posted by MyEvoDream View Post
    So the reason I started this thread was because I had heard 2 variations - 1) You can pass with 1 system not ready 2) you can pass only if ALL systems are ready...

RAW, I had heard that as well, which is why I was hoping it would pass...but..
    The result, she went yesterday and they just told her it would not pass because the cat was not ready, even though she had no CEL (which I was hoping she would pass with, so that way the cat doesnt need replacing) They didnt charge her or give her another R sticker, just told her that it wouldnt pass because of that.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

16. #16 Default  
    fyi. not ready mode is not just a result of something being defective, porsche will go into not ready mode if the battery is disconnected for more than 2 days, the only way to reset it is to go through the drive cycle....which is a nightmare

this seems to be limited to porsche though

17. #17 Default  
    Any time you reset a CEL it seems to throw all the systems into 'not ready'.

I have a question, is the EGR considered one of the 'biggies'? I mean, if there are no CELs and all systems outside of the EGR are reading ready, am I going to pass or fail?

-Justin

White Hairdresser's Car, Orange Car with Hand-Built Engine (Like AMG) and 6-Speed (Not like AMG)

18. #18 Default  
    fyi. not ready mode is not just a result of something being defective, porsche will go into not ready mode if the battery is disconnected for more than 2 days, the only way to reset it is to go through the drive cycle....which is a nightmare

this seems to be limited to porsche though
    every car that loses power, or has had codes cleared via OBD2 scanner goes in to not ready mode... every car's driving cycle differs, sometimes a driving cycle is 6 ignition starts, sometimes its 75 miles of driving, sometimes its a combination of events that the car needs to go through before its ready for inspection

19. #19 Default  
    the porsche drive cycle is almost impossible, without the use of a dyno, the 993 is impossible without a dyno, cannot for the life of me figure out why they would make it so difficult
    Last edited by buzztt; 05-10-2011 at 02:55 PM.

20. #20 Default  
    To be honest I am not sure... I just remember Catalyst being an important one. I have a feeling EGR is not important

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information