Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: E36 headlights

1. #1 Default E36 headlights 
    Any of you guys know if it possible to get to the inner lenses of the US spec headlights? i would like to stain the high beams yellow.
    1997 Boston green e36 M3
    2002 Aston green Triumph Daytona centennial edition

2. #2 Default  
    Its a pretty straight forward job to remove the front lens from the main housing. Heat gun is recommended but most will tell you to use an oven instead.

3. #3 Default  
    Their isnt some sort of "back door" on the assembly? Also im worried about condensation.
    1997 Boston green e36 M3

4. #4 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by E30sex View Post
    Their isnt some sort of "back door" on the assembly? Also im worried about condensation.
    have the guy above your post do it for you. pro. tellin ya.

5. #5 Default  
    Only thing that you can gain access to from the back of the headlight is bulb installation and removal. There is no way around the fact that you must break the "seal" on the headlights if you want to gain access to the reflector to "tint" them. If the light is disassembled/reassembled correctly you should not have condensation issues. You could also run a transparent film over the lens on the outside if you don't want to deal with taking apart the headlamp assemblies

Here's a few examples of the transparent film;

btw; most of the quality transparent films double as a protectant since most of them are usually anywhere from 8mm to 16+mm thick.

6. #6 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Duey View Post
    Only thing that you can gain access to from the back of the headlight is bulb installation and removal. There is no way around the fact that you must break the "seal" on the headlights if you want to gain access to the reflector to "tint" them. If the light is disassembled/reassembled correctly you should not have condensation issues. You could also run a transparent film over the lens on the outside if you don't want to deal with taking apart the headlamp assemblies

Here's a few examples of the transparent film;

btw; most of the quality transparent films double as a protectant since most of them are usually anywhere from 8mm to 16+mm thick.
    hmm, Well ill give it a go. i think im going to pick up a headlamp from the junkyard for practice and then give it a go when im comfortable. thanks for the input.
    1997 Boston green e36 M3

7. #7 Default  
    upgrade to euro, glass headlights??? They should make a pretty big difference.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

8. #8 Default  
    I just got the euro glass halogen headlights for mine and they are such an improvement over my previous headlights that I cant imagine going back. A yellow clear film would look great!
    E36 325IS 5 speed.
    "Le is not amused"

Thread Information