Detailers Domain
Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: itunes painfully slow over SMB

1. #1 Default itunes painfully slow over SMB 
    Any one else have this problem? I have a 1TB external formatted to FAT32 with my itunes library on it. Its connected to my old macbook that just sits there to get a printer and externals on my network. Problem is that my new Macbook pro will only see the external on the network if its over SMB instead of Appletalk. I guess the is because of the fat32. Itunes is painfuly slow accessing the library and the songs sometime skip. What the hell is the issue?? I would really not like to reformat the drive just for itunes.
    '86 325es - MTechnic I - s54tu
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

2. #2 Default  
    SMB implementation is severely flawed in OS X from my experience... I've encountered the exact same problem with iTunes before. However the drive formatting should have nothing to do with afp/smb sharing though. I've got a drive formatted Ext4 shared over the network via AFP at my house for example.

your issues could be caused by network traffic, could be caused by lack of buffering, could be caused by SMB service not getting enough CPU time... there are a lot of random reasons it could be screwed up.

Why not simply mount the drive locally rather than over the network?

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

3. #3 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Alkivar View Post
    SMB implementation is severely flawed in OS X from my experience... I've encountered the exact same problem with iTunes before. However the drive formatting should have nothing to do with afp/smb sharing though. I've got a drive formatted Ext4 shared over the network via AFP at my house for example.

your issues could be caused by network traffic, could be caused by lack of buffering, could be caused by SMB service not getting enough CPU time... there are a lot of random reasons it could be screwed up.

Why not simply mount the drive locally rather than over the network?
    I dont want to drag the drive around with me when I am on my laptop. I had it over a network before attached to a dell machine and it worked fine. I can also access the internal HD of the mac over AFP no issue and its fast but I cant see the external HDs over AFP and only if I have SMB on.

The only reason I am trying to use SMB is because the laptop wont even recognize the drive over the network using AFP. The only reason I could think of for this was the fat32 format. My theory was it I formatted the drive to a mac format I could see it and use itunes with it over AFP and get around the shitty SMB. I dont know if that theory would work. Can you really not see fat32 network drives over AFP?

I doubt its a network traffic thing and the smb should get all the CPU it wants. Only things on my network are a laptop, iphone, PS3, appleTV and the mac with the drives and printer hooked up to it. I am only ever using one at a time and the macs only job now is to access the external hds. Everything is over Wireless N on a airport. I could be wrong though. I dont know what would be causing the interference though
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

4. #4 Default  
    found this on macrumors:

"TIP: You still can't get FAT 32 external shares working under Leopard if you have AFP ticked in the shares, untick AFP and only share via SMB."

so try system preferences > file sharing > options > unclick AFP and click SMB and see if it works?

'08 Audi A5 S-line... 3.2L of ozone depleting goodness.

5. #5 Default  
    And if that doesn't work and all music is loaded on to your old Mac, you should be able to access the music via homesharing on your new iTunes app

6. #6 Default  
    I have to move some stuff around and Ill give it another shot without AFP on.
    '89 325is
    '08 RS4

Thread Information