Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Audi A4 '03-'05

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Audi A4 '03-'05 
    I'm evaluating cars for my soon to be 16 year old son. Looks like I can pick up an 03-05 A4 with 70-80k on it for under $10k. Anyone here an A4 guy? Do you have a list of "watch for" items when I do an inspection?

Thanks.

2. #2 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Whats up MG!

Make sure all the servicing has been done... the 4cyl Turbo engines have sludge issues and make sure the timing belt has been changed at that mileage.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

3. #3 Default  
    I think someone on here has a B6 A4, but I can't remember who.

Anyways, do a search on this site and see what comes up.
    http://www.audizine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/4-B6-A4

4. #4 Default  
    i had an 04 that i sold in july of last year for 12.5 and it had around 38k miles so not sure what deals can be had now
    but repairs can be costly when you bring it to audi to get fixed

5. #5 Default  
    Blog Entries
    Pretty sure MG has a good indy in Jersey, doesnt take anything to the dealer
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

6. #6 Default  
    don't buy the turbo engine.....

make sure coil paks are the new ones

7. #7 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trptguy View Post
    don't buy the turbo engine.....

make sure coil paks are the new ones
    get the turbo if he/ you decide to mod it
    and there was a recall on the cp's

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by inter1032 View Post
    get the turbo if he/ you decide to mod it
    and there was a recall on the cp's
    hence the reason i mentioned them

9. #9 Default  
    The B6 A4 is a pretty awesome car. I have lots of experience with all generations of the A4. You just have to find one that has not been neglected. Make sure timing belt/waterpump has been done. The 3.0 V6 is much smoother and more powerful. It is also very reliable. The 1.8T can either be amazing or a nightmare, depending on the previous owner. The 1.8T gets better mpgs, and can have crazy power for cheap. But they do have sludge issues if neglected and they tend to be much more beat on than the V6. Buy a Quattro, they are AMAZING in snow!
    2005 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT Imola/Alcantara. A little of this, a little of that :big grin:
    Winter Beater: 2002 VW Jetta 1.8T 5MT. All parts new

10. #10 Default  
    Finding one that has had the belt done at 70k is gonna be tough unless it was enthusiast owned(audi claims 105k for timing belt ) As stated before look for a v6 if you dont want him modding it. If you are looking for v6's I will list you what to look for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inf4life View Post
    What Graffix said
    KAIZEN TUNING | RAW FOCUS MEDIA | AUTOMOTOFOTO

11. #11 Default  
    Thanks for all of the replies guys. All of my research says that this model A4 is as close to bullet proof as is possible nowadays. I am leaning towards the 1.8T due to gas mileage and overall lower power through out the band. I will definitely have it inspected by my Indie (props to Pete ) who does all Euro cars. I talked to them last week and they gave me a good recommend on this model A4. One of the owners put his daughter in an '04 A4 1.8t and she and a friend walked away from a 30+ mph head on with a tree.

It doesn't get better than that.

12. #12 Default  
    I wouldn't be concerned about 3 liter V6, with regards to power. And for a 16 year old, that would be the engine to get. Otherwise you may end up on the road to modifications. Nobody wants to mod the stock V6, because it is slowwwwwwww. Not to mention you can beat the piss out of it.
    Derek
    Audi S4 Status: Burning Everything
    Derek.Brusin@gmail.com

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by Das General View Post
    I wouldn't be concerned about 3 liter V6, with regards to power. And for a 16 year old, that would be the engine to get. Otherwise you may end up on the road to modifications. Nobody wants to mod the stock V6, because it is slowwwwwwww. Not to mention you can beat the piss out of it.
    Good to know. Teenage boys and powerful cars are not a good mix. I'll keep the V6 in the mix. Thanks!

14. #14 Default  
    Why 03-04? I opted for the 2002 A4 1.8T 5years ago for a reason. The sport suspension sat the lowest and it was the only year that offered rear heated seats.

The car was great, except the coilpacks going out as they wished after you mod the turbo. Mine was highly modded and the only problems I had was the usual boost leaks, wheel bearings, clutch and flywheel. I would have kept that car forever if it could hold 300ish horsepower without constant fixes. Thats the primary reason I left Audi, underpowered N/A motors they started making werent my thing.

In fact, my friend picked up an 03 3.0 a4 a few months later and it was nothing but a nightmare. If you do go the 1.8t route, make sure the timing belt has been done, and if not, pay someone 250 to change it. Its still a very good looking car, and is very safe. Great in the winter too. Gluck.

15. #15 Default  
    Oh yeah, go with the USP!
    Derek
    Audi S4 Status: Burning Everything
    Derek.Brusin@gmail.com

16. #16 Default  
    What do you guys think about the B5 platform? I too am looking for one, specifically for the winter and I found a 99' with the 2.8 V6, 150k and 5 speed. pretty cheap but then that tends to lead to issues.
    V6 I heard is pretty reliable but what are the look for items on those? timing belt and water pumps like the 1.8T or other issues?
    Last edited by Mini_Pete; 10-28-2011 at 12:20 PM.

Join me at Peter Iannaco Photography on Facebook!

17. #17 Default  
    Blog Entries
    what are you looking to spend? My wagon may be coming up for sale soon.

Timing belt, water pump, wheel bearings on the B5. All of them are going to have non operational LCD displays in the cluster. The V6 is a decent car unmodded but a 1.8T with a tune will be a pretty fun car to drive

18. #18 Default  
    very little. lol, The one I found is about $2300, obviously try and knock it down a little when I go to see it if I get serious.

Just talked to the seller and he said that the belts and pump have been done, though I forgot to ask when.

I'm going to assume your wagon would probably be out of my range, although I must say I saw the pictures after the detail and it does look very nice. I almost PM'd you asking what you would want for it lol

Join me at Peter Iannaco Photography on Facebook!

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by evodimon View Post
    Why 03-04? I opted for the 2002 A4 1.8T 5years ago for a reason. The sport suspension sat the lowest and it was the only year that offered rear heated seats.

The car was great, except the coilpacks going out as they wished after you mod the turbo. Mine was highly modded and the only problems I had was the usual boost leaks, wheel bearings, clutch and flywheel. I would have kept that car forever if it could hold 300ish horsepower without constant fixes. Thats the primary reason I left Audi, underpowered N/A motors they started making werent my thing.

In fact, my friend picked up an 03 3.0 a4 a few months later and it was nothing but a nightmare. If you do go the 1.8t route, make sure the timing belt has been done, and if not, pay someone 250 to change it. Its still a very good looking car, and is very safe. Great in the winter too. Gluck.
    really, where did you find that deal???

20. #20 Default  
    Thanks for all the input guys. I decided to kick in a little extra money and get a newer version of the car. I bought an '07 A4 quatro 2.0T today. It should make a great car for him to learn in and keep up with him through college until he is ready to buy his own new car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information