Wicked CAS
Driven Perfection
Light Innovation
Kaizen Tuning
Aston Martin of New England

Thread: Need to move on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Default Need to move on 
    So not being too happy with the current state of how things are going now in my group/company, I am looking to move on.

Im currently a Senior Fund Accountant with 6 years of experience with a good knowledge in Excel and VBA coding. I have a Bachelors degree in Business Management.

I would like to get out of doing anything financial related but im kind of stuck as to where to look or go. I think i want to do stuff more technology related but i dont have anything on paper that says so. I also would consider other fields besides that also.

Any ideas on where i should focus my search?
    Last edited by streetxdreamer; 11-07-2011 at 08:20 AM.

2. #2 Default  
    technologically related, does that include tech salesman? i dont know what background you have for tech/engineering stuff, but if you have a business management degree you can probably look into tech sales.
    Oh Yeah!

3. #3 Default  
    I feel the same way lately. Is there anything you're interested in doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    jketch happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jketch View Post
    He was so I just kept at it. When he was reaching the breaking point I hammered it harder for about 90 seconds then let off and left.
    PFFFFFFFFFT

4. #4 Default  
    havent really thought about what i really want to do but i do know that i need to move on

5. #5 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    havent really thought about what i really want to do but i do know that i need to move on
    I am in the same position. It's hard to find something that you want to do that pays well too! I am working on trying to figure out a new career that won't take too much more schooling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Pete View Post
    jketch happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jketch View Post
    He was so I just kept at it. When he was reaching the breaking point I hammered it harder for about 90 seconds then let off and left.
    PFFFFFFFFFT

6. #6 Default  
    If you want to do something hands on tech related(it, systems management, etc), do you have the ability to go through a program to earn any necessary certificates?
    You might wind up needing a year or two to get a piece of paper that says you can do more than you currently do. Switching into the tech field would be easy if you just wanted to move to a similar position in a company with a different focus, but it sounds like you're ready for a change.

7. #7 Default  
    Expanding on ^
    A lot of companies will pay for your schooling if you prove to be a good candidate for them.

8. #8 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Expanding on ^
    A lot of companies will pay for your schooling if you prove to be a good candidate for them.
    i dont know if i agree with this. mostly because if you are switching career, aka having no background, it doesnt make a whole lot of sense for the company to pay for schooling. For advance degrees i can understand, but not schooling to switch someone into a certian field.
    Oh Yeah!

9. #9 Default  
    I think it depends on the company. If they like the skills of the candidate and can utilize them, and make the ideal employee with a little extra training, it's worth it to them.

This isn't true with the upper level ($150k plus jobs), rather than midlevel ($60-80k jobs)

10. #10 Default  
    Well I said some, its definitely not the norm. And like Chris said it's not for higher-up jobs. However if you stay with a company where you've obtained training in a useful field there are definitely better opportunities to move up.

11. #11 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppa822 View Post
    Well I said some, its definitely not the norm. And like Chris said it's not for higher-up jobs. However if you stay with a company where you've obtained training in a useful field there are definitely better opportunities to move up.
    It's definitely a fact that it's much easier for companies to promote from within. Some of our best managers and execs have done my job, 5 years ago.

12. #12 Default  
    depends on the company. mine will pay for whatever but you must work for x number of years after you graduate.

also promotions from within are a great way for a company to screw you over pay wise. new hire rates for better job are usually much higher than what you will be promoted to.
    Father of Phiff

13. #13 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by streetxdreamer View Post
    wait untl you know what you want to do, moving for moving sake is probably not a good idea

figure out what you really want to do, that should be your first step

14. #14 Default  
    Blog Entries
    If you think IT is where you would want to go... try looking at getting your cisco certs... Having hardware certifications, in my experience, are better than having a college degree.
    The disease runs deep, relapses often, not looking for a cure, just another sick bastard to share it with.

15. #15 Default  
    Have you thought about doing something front office finance? Or are you looking to exit the industry completely?

16. #16 Default  
    Yea need to figure out what i really want to do but im gonna update and throw my resume out there to see what hits

Ken, not really sure. Its not so much the work that is making me want to leave, its that i now currently have managers that dont know how to manage

17. #17 Default  
    I would try to look into Fund portfolio management as a possible exit from fund accounting. Could be difficult from BO => FO but worth a try- in this case you have substantial experience over younger candidates. Try posting on www.wallstreetoasis.com - yes there are some trolls but there is some useful career information on the blogs and forum.

18. #18 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by 55fanatic View Post
    If you think IT is where you would want to go... try looking at getting your cisco certs... Having hardware certifications, in my experience, are better than having a college degree.
    Good advice, Cisco Certs, Microsoft Certs, a BA, and experience make a killer combination in the IT field.
    CLS500 |AMG Package | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | iPod Kit | Keyless Go | Parktronic | Distronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Trunk Closer | Voice Command

R500 | Premium Package | Lighting Package | Entertainment Package | Parktronic | Hands Free Communication | Bluetooth | Chrome Package | On 20's

E320 | On Chrome 16's

19. #19 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by bigben View Post
    Good advice, Cisco Certs, Microsoft Certs, a BA, and experience make a killer combination in the IT field.
    out of curiousity, anyone know much about those certs? kinda interest in doing them as a personal investment/improvement to maky myself more diverse and more marketable.
    Oh Yeah!

20. #20 Default  
    Quote Originally Posted by cheu_f50 View Post
    out of curiousity, anyone know much about those certs? kinda interest in doing them as a personal investment/improvement to maky myself more diverse and more marketable.
    +1 on more info!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information